Blowing 10 amp fuse

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
gasdoc18
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 Standard

Blowing 10 amp fuse

Post by gasdoc18 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:27 pm

So just got my first Goldwing a week ago and it’s awesome. 82 standard. But it just started blowing the 10 amp fuse for the running light, gauge lights and brake cancel unit. It burns up as soon as the key is set to on. If I turn to park it’ll also burn the 5 amp. I disconnected the taillight assembly and tested with a separate fuse and battery. No issue. Same for gauge lights. I pulled off the brake cancel unit under the false tank and disconnected everything going to the left hand control. Still blows the fuse. All of my harness looks good and not pinched or worn. Any other ideas? What should have power when key is set to park?

82 standard and staying naked

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Blowing 10 amp fuse

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:34 pm

gasdoc18 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:27 pm
So just got my first Goldwing a week ago and it’s awesome. 82 standard. But it just started blowing the 10 amp fuse for the running light, gauge lights and brake cancel unit. It burns up as soon as the key is set to on. If I turn to park it’ll also burn the 5 amp. I disconnected the taillight assembly and tested with a separate fuse and battery. No issue. Same for gauge lights. I pulled off the brake cancel unit under the false tank and disconnected everything going to the left hand control. Still blows the fuse. All of my harness looks good and not pinched or worn. Any other ideas? What should have power when key is set to park?
Your taillight (running light, not brake light) is the only thing on in Park and ON. That circuit is on a brown wire. That wire comes out of the PARK fuse. The ignition switch ON feeds through a brown/white wire, which is connected to the brown wire so that the taillight will turn on when in ON or in PARK. From that point the brown wire runs to the back of the bike to power the taillight. Somewhere in between where the brown/white wire connects to it, and the back of the bike, you've got a short to ground in that brown wire.