dynatek no test light in static timing but light when cranking

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
what_the?!
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000

dynatek no test light in static timing but light when cranking

Post by what_the?! » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:26 am

the title says it all...any ideas?

i have a 78 gl1000. i am getting 12v obviously, but only when i crank the bike over. so i cannot do a static timing of the bike.

any help would offset a nervous breakdown...:-)

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: dynatek no test light in static timing but light when cranking

Post by Maz » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:45 am

what_the?! wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:26 am
the title says it all...any ideas?

i have a 78 gl1000. i am getting 12v obviously, but only when i crank the bike over. so i cannot do a static timing of the bike.

any help would offset a nervous breakdown...:-)
Sounds like the 12v feed to the Dynatek is connected to the wrong place. You need to find an ignition controlled 12v, like the feed to the flasher unit. If the Dynatek is only live when cranking, you are probably connected to the starter solenoid or the wrong connection in the ignition circuit - (remember, the ballast resistor is by-passed during cranking to give the coils a full 12v.)
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

what_the?!

Post by what_the?! » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:22 pm

thanks maz.

i tested it on the feed to the flasher unit also. the wire i have it connected to is taken from that so it should be the same.

same result.

i hope someone can help as i have absolutely no idea why this is happening. it doesnt seem possible to me.

what_the?!

Post by what_the?! » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:34 pm

edit:
i just realised that my description can be misleading.
i am getting 12v from the feed wire. when static timing i get no test light.
when i crank the engine, the test light flashes as if the dynatek unit is working properly.
when i turn the engine by hand, the test light does not come on at all.
ive actually got 2 dynatek units so tried it on both- same outcome...so i figure it has to be the bike.
i also was able to static time the bike a few weeks back using the same arrangement.
i replaced the coils with dynatek ones and now its no good.

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:15 am

what_the?! wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:34 pm
edit:
i just realised that my description can be misleading.
i am getting 12v from the feed wire. when static timing i get no test light.
when i crank the engine, the test light flashes as if the dynatek unit is working properly.
when i turn the engine by hand, the test light does not come on at all.
ive actually got 2 dynatek units so tried it on both- same outcome...so i figure it has to be the bike.
i also was able to static time the bike a few weeks back using the same arrangement.
i replaced the coils with dynatek ones and now its no good.
OK, the fact that it was working on the original coils would seem to indicate that fitting the Dyna coils has changed something. If the 12v feed to the Dyna module is good, then what about the feed to the coils? Are the coils getting 12v without pushing the starter button? I assume the resistor was removed when fitting the Dyna coils as I believe it is not required with these. You should be able to measure the 12v coil feed at the Dyna plug as the 12v feeds through the coils to the Dyna module. The Dyna module grounds this 12v input then, when it disconnects the ground, spark occurs.
Connect the red lead from a meter (set to the DC voltage scale) to each input to the Dyna module from the coils and the black lead to ground. Turn the engine by hand (with ignition on) and you should be able to see 12v (it will be slightly less as the resistance of the coil will drop a volt or two) switching on and off as the Dyna sensors switch the coils on and off while turning the engine.

Maz

what_the?!

Post by what_the?! » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:32 am

thanks maz.

yep, i get a 12v reading into the modules, but nothing coming from them.
i am starting to think that i have 3 lemons..out of 3 purchased.

the first one i put on a 75 and got it replaced. i dug the replaced one out of storage (it wasnt used for 18 months) and it didnt work so i purchased the coils and ignition again..and the one i just received also doesnt output anything.
i think the process you are describing is just the same as putting a light on the points terminals. if there is a light there, then the modules are outputting a voltage.
i wonder if these modules are particularly sensitive to the power and earth arrangement?- i.e. dont hook up the power until the plate is firmly in position?
al i can think of is that its quite possible that each module has spent some time with power to them and not been completely grounded.
if this is the case, that's some pretty important detail to not stress in the instructions.
its all i can think of at this point (no pun intended)

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:50 am

what_the?! wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:32 am
thanks maz.

yep, i get a 12v reading into the modules, but nothing coming from them.
i am starting to think that i have 3 lemons..out of 3 purchased.

the first one i put on a 75 and got it replaced. i dug the replaced one out of storage (it wasnt used for 18 months) and it didnt work so i purchased the coils and ignition again..and the one i just received also doesnt output anything.
i think the process you are describing is just the same as putting a light on the points terminals. if there is a light there, then the modules are outputting a voltage.
i wonder if these modules are particularly sensitive to the power and earth arrangement?- i.e. dont hook up the power until the plate is firmly in position?
al i can think of is that its quite possible that each module has spent some time with power to them and not been completely grounded.
if this is the case, that's some pretty important detail to not stress in the instructions.
its all i can think of at this point (no pun intended)
Hmmmm...it's Monday morning but my brain is slowly coming online!
Does that 12v into the Dyna module disappear as you turn the engine? (i.e. when the module is grounding it to fire the coils).
If you removed the ballast resistor, did you connect the two wires together?
Maz