Stuck in first gear


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
TechSpeaker
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 pm
Location: Stephenville TX
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Stuck in first gear

Post by TechSpeaker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:16 pm



My transmission is stuck in I believe first gear. I've shifted through all the gears not longer than a week ago. After replacing the neutral switch, It won't upshift at all. I feel like I messed something up when I did the neutral switch but I'm not sure what I could've done. I pulled off the water pump cover and there was nothing there blocking anything. Any ideas? would really like to get this fixed without splitting the case again...



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 20525
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Stuck in first gear

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:22 pm

TechSpeaker wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:16 pm
My transmission is stuck in I believe first gear. I've shifted through all the gears not longer than a week ago. After replacing the neutral switch, It won't upshift at all. I feel like I messed something up when I did the neutral switch but I'm not sure what I could've done. I pulled off the water pump cover and there was nothing there blocking anything. Any ideas? would really like to get this fixed without splitting the case again...
My guess is that you used an aftermarket gasket, like the terrible Chinese paper-thin garbage sold by Saber Cycle.

The clearance between the shift linkage mechanism and the inside of the front cover is measured in thousandths of an inch. If you use a non-OEM gasket that is a few thousandths of an inch thinner than the OEM gasket, the shift linkage will bind against the inside of the front cover, and you won't be able to shift gears.

User avatar
TechSpeaker
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 pm
Location: Stephenville TX
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Re: Stuck in first gear

Post by TechSpeaker » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:36 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:22 pm
TechSpeaker wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:16 pm
My transmission is stuck in I believe first gear. I've shifted through all the gears not longer than a week ago. After replacing the neutral switch, It won't upshift at all. I feel like I messed something up when I did the neutral switch but I'm not sure what I could've done. I pulled off the water pump cover and there was nothing there blocking anything. Any ideas? would really like to get this fixed without splitting the case again...
My guess is that you used an aftermarket gasket, like the terrible Chinese paper-thin garbage sold by Saber Cycle.

The clearance between the shift linkage mechanism and the inside of the front cover is measured in thousandths of an inch. If you use a non-OEM gasket that is a few thousandths of an inch thinner than the OEM gasket, the shift linkage will bind against the inside of the front cover, and you won't be able to shift gears.
The front cover for the water pump? I took that off and it still wont shift. I've shifted through all the gears with it on recently.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 20525
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Stuck in first gear

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:06 am

Yes, that's the cover I was talking about. So with that cover off, it still won't shift? With the cover off, can you see the shift/ratch/pawl mechanism moving when you try to shift?

Image

User avatar
TechSpeaker
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 pm
Location: Stephenville TX
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Re: Stuck in first gear

Post by TechSpeaker » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:22 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:06 am
Yes, that's the cover I was talking about. So with that cover off, it still won't shift? With the cover off, can you see the shift/ratch/pawl mechanism moving when you try to shift?

Image
The piece directly connected to the foot lever, the one that looks like an elbow, is able to move just fine. the piece on the left is stuck.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 20525
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Stuck in first gear

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 am

The part on the lower left is the end of the shift drum. It rotates back and forth to move the shift forks that actually engage the gears. It rotates left and right with a pawl that pulls it each way when the shift pedal is pushed. If that shift drum is jammed in place and not moving, then it would indicate that something inside the transmission itself could be jammed.

User avatar
TechSpeaker
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 pm
Location: Stephenville TX
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Re: Stuck in first gear

Post by TechSpeaker » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:54 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 am
The part on the lower left is the end of the shift drum. It rotates back and forth to move the shift forks that actually engage the gears. It rotates left and right with a pawl that pulls it each way when the shift pedal is pushed. If that shift drum is jammed in place and not moving, then it would indicate that something inside the transmission itself could be jammed.
It'll move down but not up. Guess I'm about to have to split my case again.

froche
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:56 pm
Location: Vista, ca
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Aspencade (GL1200A

Former bikes;
2000 R1100RT
2005 Suzuki Bandit
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1978 Yamaha XS1100 Special
1990 Yamaha XV250
1980 Yamaha XV750
1979 Honda CB750
1968 Triumph Bonneville T120
1973 Honda CB450
1968 Harley Davidson Sportster
1974 Honda CB750
1968 Honda CL72

Re: Stuck in first gear

Post by froche » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:14 pm

I had a Suzuki that got into a mood where I could shift between 1 and 2, sometimes is would work from 3 to everything but 1 and 2.

Turned out to be a thrust washer...

just saying

User avatar
TechSpeaker
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 pm
Location: Stephenville TX
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Re: Stuck in first gear

Post by TechSpeaker » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:31 pm

Found a piece of crushed metal inside, not sure what it was but very glad it didn't cause any serious damage. There was also a nut inside. Will be officially testing again soon.



Post Reply