Rear brake problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Butthead
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Rear brake problem

Post by Butthead » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:46 am

Finally got to fire up my '89 wing and for the first time this summer and I have no rear brakes. The front is functioning. What would cause this as there are no remnants of a fluid leak. I am going to bleed the system but was curious if anyone had experienced this. Thanks

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: Rear brake problem

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:43 am

The rear brake and the front left brake work together when you apply the brake pedal.

So, did you check the front left brake operation?

tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by tsandvik » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:56 am

Yep, going thru this right now on my 90. You have to bleed the front left first then go to the rear. Watch the fluid level carefully. If you do a move like me and suck air in the back...start over.

Good luck.

Anyone know while I am on here. Is the back bleeder valve different than the front. Back on mine looks to be very short. Wondering if the last PO "mechanic" replaced it. Seems to suck air if I use a vacuum pump.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:18 am

tsandvik wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:56 am
Is the back bleeder valve different than the front. Back on mine looks to be very short. Wondering if the last PO "mechanic" replaced it. Seems to suck air if I use a vacuum pump.
I'm pretty sure your right, they are different.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:37 pm

tsandvik wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:56 am
Seems to suck air if I use a vacuum pump.
Not unusual. Apply some grease around the bleeder screw top threads to caliper area to help seal against air being drawn in under vacuum while bleeding with vacuum. It won't draw the grease in as it is too thick, but it'll stop air from seeping in past loose bleeder screw threads.

Easatrun
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Post by Easatrun » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:03 am

I had the same problem with no back brake when I went to ride this summer. Turned out I had air in the line. Bled the L front first which is easy using a 1 man bleeder hose and bottle set from the auto parts store. The back was harder, the bleeder takes a smaller size wrench. It is access thru a hole in the L trunk front side half way up. Peel back the stick on black covering. I used a long needle nosed pliers to attach the bleeder tip into the bleeder valve after removing the cover. Then used a pole to press the brake so I could see the hose to check for bubbles. Really is a 2 person job even with the bleeder kit. I also used this as opportunity to flush brake fluid to get new in the system. So for this need 1 person to hold the brake peddle down while you open and then close the valve as the person presses and then releases the brake pedal. Brakes working ok now.

Butthead
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Post by Butthead » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:23 pm

Thank you. I'm going to have to do it myself so, wish me luck. This was the first time I've had any issues at all with my wing so I was taken aback. Appreciate it.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Good luck with it :)

I've taken to bleeding the old fashioned way with just a catch bottle and some clear hose. As long as the hose is above the bleeder the air can't get back in. I set the bottle so that the hose stays in the right location then crack the bleeder just a quarter turn and start bleeding. Doing it this way is just as good as speed bleeders I found and better than my mityvac (which I really like). Just a simple way to 1 person bleed any brakes. I did my full size truck this way too and it works really good. :)

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset