GL1000 Radiator Fan Plug

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
redsrback6
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

GL1000 Radiator Fan Plug

Post by redsrback6 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:48 pm

Dear GL1000 Riders,

Top center back of fan there is a bendable tab the plug wire goes through to keep taut. Retro mechanic I had re-install my engine has the plug attached to the main wiring harness and hanging to the right side at pretty much a right angle, is very tight flat against the shroud. Just left of center tab there is an up cavity in the shroud. Seeing this made me wonder if the joined plugs should hang to the left and perhaps relieve tension on the wire/plug by hanging upwards a bit into this cavity space? Perhaps that is the reason the space is there. Just seems tight enough it is pulling on the connectors. Any help greatly appreciated, the bike is a 78 GL1000.

Thank You!

redsrback6

Re: GL1000 Radiator Fan Plug

Post by redsrback6 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:41 am

Perhaps if anyone who has a GL1000 preferably a 78 can take a look at their fan plug and tell me where the lead wire it plugs to is coming through the shroud. It comes from the main harness running through the shelter/breather area but feeds down below to the fan. Curious if the wire comes through in the cavity area and do the plugs rest/dangle to that area left of center. My lead wire comes down right of center side just doesn't look right and again the wires to the fan plug are fairly tight. I currently have access to the shelter area so can slide that wire to the left, if that cavity area is where the plugs should be. In fact I've unfolded the tab and slid the plugs to that area but the plugs don't appear to rest in that cavity easily enough for me to secure the plug wire with tab. I could apply a little force to push the plugs up into the area enough to secure the wire again. I'm sure it doesn't much matter either way, I just can't find any pictures. Sorry for getting hung up on this. There's another wire or 2 that wasn't routed properly and a couple screws I had to back out and turn around. Again, very much appreciate any help.

redsrback6

Re: GL1000 Radiator Fan Plug

Post by redsrback6 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:28 pm

Okay, I think I'm on track with this. No pictures or feedback but I was able to track the lead wire with plug down the shroud pocket. The fan and lead wire plugs now angle up in a 45 and the aluminum tab can still wrap around the fan wire to secure it. Doubt it was necessary but looks better, seems to not be as tight, and brings the lead wire a bit closer to the main harness in the shelter/breather area. The guy probably plugged them together on the right side where there was room but didn't slide over to the pocket.