Group Rides

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Uptwobucks
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing 1800GL, 2010 Goldwing

Group Rides

Post by Uptwobucks » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:27 pm

How do you feel about group rides? Personally I’m not one to lead, follow or wait one anyone. I just can’t do it. I rather you just tell me to meet you at a certain destination so I can ride the way I can enjoy it.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Group Rides

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:20 pm

my limit is 5 or 6 bikes.

I don't trust folks whom I have not ridden with.

with 10 bikes, you can't get thru intersections w/o the front losing the back half.
takes an experienced leader who will hold a Safety Session before the ride,
watch for problems, and use a radio to stay in contact with the Tail End Charlie rider.

When the group gets broken up, the leader should find a safe zone to stop and let everyone get back together again.

The route needs to be known in advance, and stopping points need to be specified in advance. it is helpful for copies of the route to be mapped out, so all know where they are going....
~John

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:50 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:20 pm
my limit is 5 or 6 bikes.

I don't trust folks whom I have not ridden with.

with 10 bikes, you can't get thru intersections w/o the front losing the back half.
takes an experienced leader who will hold a Safety Session before the ride,
watch for problems, and use a radio to stay in contact with the Tail End Charlie rider.

When the group gets broken up, the leader should find a safe zone to stop and let everyone get back together again.

The route needs to be known in advance, and stopping points need to be specified in advance. it is helpful for copies of the route to be mapped out, so all know where they are going....
Absolutely agree, but like the OP, I am not one to like it if I have to wait for the slow arrivals. Standing around in a parking lot waiting to start a ride is not riding..... I tried it a couple of times with a GWRRA Chapter here in my home town, but left them for the convenience of not having to keep track of a bunch of people I did not know, nor did I know how they rode. One of them wiped out my buddies bike in a parking lot. Nobody hurt, but he did not offer to make good for the parts. He had to be reminded. He has since gone to a Spyder. Riding alone, I am always happy with my companions, :lol: :lol: :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:11 am

The only group I’ve ridden in so far has been the PGR. Safety brief before every mission and procession with debrief afterwards. After a procession, if there was an unsafe rider, depending on how unsafe, that rider may be advised if their mistakes so that they can be corrected or if it was too bad will just be told they are not allowed to ride in processions any longer and should just meet at the destination ahead to help set up there.

AFAIK, there is no communication between the lead rider, mission/ride captains and the “tail gunner” safety rider bringing up the rear in case anyone falls out for mechanical or other reason.

It might be nice to have comm with a few of these riders. If nothing else, just to see how it goes a few times.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:06 pm

I like group rides when they are with people I like being around. I know that in my early years of riding, some others bent over backwards to help me better enjoy the ride experience. Those who tend to arrive late often miss coffee. We have a AIS time set and at 5 minutes, the alarm is sounded. At AIS time, we are off like a heard. Stragglers straggle.

Once on the road, we chat. We tell jokes, we talk about things we see, and I have never yet had a problem getting important info broadcast or get in touch with drag. If a problem occurs, a flat, etc. …. it's a help to have company. No one likes breakdowns or accidents holding all up … until it's them. I have seen members leave the ride and go home to get a car or pickup & trailer to help.

If I want to ride alone, then wife and I just get up and go. If I want to go on … or lead … a group ride we have a schedule from which I can choose it. If I lead, I have a plan for the route, gas, food, times, miles, potty stops, ice cream stop at the end often as not.

It's just how I roll.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:00 pm

I don't like riding in groups, and I never have liked it, in over 40 years of riding. I ride alone, but I'm always meeting interesting people while on the road. I meet people who most often have a common interest with me, and that's usually motorcycles and motorcycling. And conversations about other things in our lives branch out from there. The encounters are generally short lived, and then we're gone. That's how I like it.
I don't have a navigation system, or a stereo, or an inter-com. Strictly old school with a clumsy road map. I love the solitude, but I will admit that there are times when I wish someone was there to bounce comments off. My ex and I rode many miles together, and that was good. But that was also many years ago.
I made a few group rides back in the day but I invariably found them far to confining. "Anyone hungry?"...."Yeh!"....."No"....."Want to grab a burger?"...."Nah! I'd rather have pizza"....."What to stop?"...."No, let's keep going."........"Well maybe." and on and on and on......But that's just grumpy old Dave. :lol:

That's just the way I am......................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:57 am

Dave,

My group consists mostly of two people, my wife and me and she’s on the seat right behind me. We do have an intercom from helmet to helmet. However arguments like what you describe are nonexistent. If I want to stop we stop. If she wants to stop we stop. Fortunately, neither of us need to stop very often when the other doesn’t also.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:11 am

C-dub wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:57 am
Dave,

My group consists mostly of two people, my wife and me and she’s on the seat right behind me. We do have an intercom from helmet to helmet. However arguments like what you describe are nonexistent. If I want to stop we stop. If she wants to stop we stop. Fortunately, neither of us need to stop very often when the other doesn’t also.
I too rarely had arguments when simply riding two up. I thought that the OP was mainly interested in group rides, with multiple bikes. That's mainly what doesn't appeal to me in any way.

"Assume Nothing"