Superbrace -> massive stiction

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Superbrace -> massive stiction

Post by Mh434 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:27 pm

So - I received and installed my new GL1500 Superbrace today. I followed the instructions precisely, including loosening the axle pinch bolts (although Superbrace's video says it's not usually necessary). It was a fiddly job, but it went together after I removed a burr from the machined edges of the underside of the brace, which stopped it from going into place. Once tightened as per the suggested pattern, I re-torqued the pinch bolts, reinstalled everything and took it for a ride.

I was never able to sense if there was an improvement, as the "stiction" has rendered the bike unrideable. The forks don't compress at all unless I hit a really big bump, and then they stay down. The only way to get them back up is to stop at the roadside, grab a bunch of front brake, and force the bike forward & back until it settles more or less in the middle.

I've tried loosening the pinch bolts & bouncing the bike up and down, then re-tightening them, to no avail. The suppleness that was there before the brace install was gone - now it's like a buckboard, with no front compliance at all.

At this point, my only option seems to be to remove the Superbrace & toss it in the trash. It was an expensive (over $100) lesson.

Anyone else had this problem, or any suggestions on how to fix it?

oldmopars
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE
1989 GL1500 parts bike
1984 GL1200 Aspencade FOR SALE

Re: Superbrace -> massive stiction

Post by oldmopars » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:43 pm

I have one on my bike and I do not have that issue. It sounds like the brace may be pushing out or pulling in on the forks causing them to stick. I would pull it off and check for dirt, corrosion, etc. under the brace. Could there be other Burrs or machining issues, maybe a chamfer that was not done? Possibly installed backwards?
Also check the steel under brace that is under the fender, it is possible that it is not seated right and causing a bind from the bottom.
While anything is possible, they have sold hundreds, if not thousands of those and I would think with modern CNC, it would be just that same as all the others.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Okay, an update.

I went back in, loosened the pinch bolts again, settled the bike a bunch of times & put it back together. No improvement.

Did it again, no change.

Finally (and I'd suggest everyone installing a Superbrace follow this procedure), I did the following:

1) Remove the plastic brake hose covers (just behind the fork tubes). Be careful not to break the plastic stud. Look closely at the arrangements of brackets etc. held in place by the upper disc brake cover bolt, so you can put them back in the right order. Remove the plastic disc brake covers themselves to give access to the pinch bolts, axle, and axle nut.

2) Loosen the axle nut, several turns;

3) Loosen the pinch bolts, both of them, on both sides;

4) Put a small rod through the holes in the left hand end of the axle itself, and ensure that it rotates relatively freely; In my case, it turned out that loosening the pinch bolts did NOT free up the axle completely, so binding remained, even when the pinch bolts were loosened. This procedure ensures the axle & forks are truly free to "find their own center" & avoid binding which creates stiction.

5) Install the Superbrace as per instructions (use Superbrace's online video for this. Watch it twice before starting this evolution.);

6) Take the bike down off the center stand, and compress & rebound the front forks by applying & holding lots of front brake, & pushing the bike fore and aft. SEVERAL times. The idea is to get the forks and axle to "find their own center" here.

7) Put the bike back up on center stand again.

8) Tighten the pinch bolts to recommended torque value (16 lbs/ft)

9) Tighten the axle nut to recommended torque value (65 lbs/ft)

10) Re-install the disc brake covers and fender hose covers.

Take it for a ride, and see how it is. IF it's still sticky (very unlikely after this procedure, IMHO), start again, points 1 through 10 (excluding #5).

___________________________________________________________________________________

That's what it took to get it to work properly on my bike. Granted, others may be "lucky", but then again, they may not. I have NEVER been accused of having good luck!

There's nothing wrong with the procedure I've outlined, and it really doesn't take much longer than the minimal one suggested by Superbrace. IMHO, it absolutely ensures a minimum of "stiction" (mine still has a tiny bit, but it's probably 90% back to free movement).

I hope someone else benefits from this.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:11 pm

I should add that, once I got it working properly, the bike has returned almost entirely to its silky-smooth front suspension feel.

As far as the brace's influence is concerned, it does seem a bit more "planted", and very low speed maneuvers seem a little easier & secure.

Tomorrow, I'm going on a lengthy ride with my local GWRRA chapter, over widely varying speeds and road surfaces. I'll report back with a more in-depth report of the brace's effects.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Glad you got it. It gets annoying when simple things don't go as planned! :D

I've never seen a superbrace up close so I'm not sure how it mounts but I noticed when I installed a blackwing brace that there was casting ridges left over on the front fork lowers that could cause the brace to put outward pressure on the fork tubes. I guess I was lucky and didn't run into any issues but I could see how that might for others. If it would have caused a problem I would have dremeled that leftover casting stuff off. The blackwing instructions might have pointed this out but I'm not sure because I installed it so long ago.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:56 pm

That procedure you just went thru, is the exact same thing that must be done when you change a tire.

Very critical to do it just like you said.

I have had the SuperBrace on 4 Goldwings, and everyone benefited from the brace.

the "difference" is not noted except under 10 mph, actually more like under 5 mph doing turns...

if you ever ride on a grassy lawn, or loose dirt, you will appreciate that brace really fast.

My '94SE did not have a brace when I acquired it. where I parked, I had to back out of the garage, turn to the right, and cross a small flower garden and turn right again at the same time. I would notice the handlebars twisted to the right about 10° and the front wheel did not turn.... that is a lot of twist in those forks.

installed the brace, and that problem disappeared.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:09 pm

Okay, I promised a review.

First, I think I've returned the front suspension compliance to what it was before I added the Superbrace. The roads we were on today range from smooth highway, to bumpy secondary roads, to a windy, swooping highway with lots of frost heave whoops, potholes, and grooved areas.

The bike behaved extremely well, riding at least as good as the best of the GL1800's (the rest of the pack). Turn-in is crisper than before, and the bike holds its line better than before. I wasn't able to provoke it into "catching" in grooves at all.

All in all, a definite (if somewhat subtle) improvement.

Happytrails
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Good to hear it worked out so good. How was your GWRRA ride? :)
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:13 pm

It was great, or as good as could be expected.

My wife of 24 years deserted me a couple of months ago (I never saw it coming), and is openly having an affair with another member of my GWRRA chapter, and all the chapter members are fully aware of it. As you can imagine, this made it extremely awkward for me (although the two of them chose not to go today, after checking with other members this morning & confirming that I was there).

Surprisingly, the worst part for me was the loneliness of not having her behind me, chatting with me on the intercom as we rode. I've never gone on a longer ride without her behind me. After almost 1/4 century of companionship, it's hard riding alone, having no one to share with.

Sadly, everything else in my life is crumbling around me, too. I never knew I had this much inner strength, just to be able to get out of bed & function every day.

Happytrails
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:04 am

Sorry to hear about that. :| That does sound ackward. Hope things get better for you there.
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:21 am

Thanks - it’s going to be ver, very hard for me. Inexplicably, I still love her despite what she’s done to me, which makes it even more difficult.

I see a long and rough road ahead of me.

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 honda goldwing aspencade GL1500

Post by 4given » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:00 am

Praying for you Mh434.

TwoTone Trike
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GoldWing 1500se/2012 Hannigan Trike, 1953 Panhead, 1973 Electra Glide sold

Post by TwoTone Trike » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:49 pm

So sorry to here that Mh434. I couldn't imagine my life without my wife of 31 years and hopefully I'll never have to. Hang in there buddy. God bless. Tony

LesC
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000; 1995 GL1500A; 2015 GL1800

Post by LesC » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:06 am

Mh434 I feel your pain brother. I’ve been through what you are going through twice. The loses were not with fellow GWRRA members, but it still hurt. What I did though was to get active with the chapter and other groups that did not know me or my X’s. I kept my Gold Wings and shortly after the breakups I upgraded to a newer model. Sort of my reward for dealing with it all. I spent a lot of time riding on my own and getting comfortable in my own skin again. I’m on my third marriage of 22 years, which is wonderful, and on my 5th Gold Wing, and they just keep getting better.
Thank you for posting your issue and resolution to the Stiction issue. I’ve used the superbrace on three Gold Wings and never had that issue. Maybe just lucky. Tough times makes us appreciate the good times all the more!

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks, Les. It is very difficult for me, for sure. I'm now told she was "involved" with him long before she left me. Several people who know us are now revealing that they knew about this for a long time, but didn't tell me because they "didn't want to hurt me".

I'm also completely excluded from my beloved GWRRA functions now, because the two of them attend ALL of them. As you can imagine, seeing them together would be heartbreaking for me. And she's not even a club member!

Also, she has said that if she sees me, she'll take legal action against me. In my line of work, even the mere suggestion of such a complaint would mean instant unemployment for me. I literally haven't seen her since the night before she left, 3 months ago. The two of them have posed for lots of pics in GWRRA newsletters, though, arms around each other...knowing I would see the pictures. There are even newsletter pics of them, together, posted online on the day she left me. God, how that hurts!

If I show up at any club functions, nothing good can come of it, so I have to remain an outcast.

You know, it's tough after riding for so many years with her behind me, chatting away on the intercom. Riding is so lonely now that I'm not sure I even want to do it anymore.

After 49 years of riding, my heart's just not in it.

LesC
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000; 1995 GL1500A; 2015 GL1800

Post by LesC » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:11 pm

I’m sure you can find another chapter. And believe me there is another super wonderful co-rider out there waiting for you. Mine found me when I wasn’t looking. Just ride that wing and marvel at this beautiful world.
If you find yourself in Tennessee give me a shout and we’ll go ride somewhere with Chapter C-2 out of Crossville.

Mohawkbusdriver
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Anniversary Edition

Post by Mohawkbusdriver » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:07 pm

Sorry for your problems, with the wife and the Superbrace. I just installed mine the other day and am grateful that mine did not have the same issue. (Brace, not wife 😏) I’m quite happy with how it’s improved the slow speed ride ability.

bdevlinor
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Interstate Gl 1500
1975 Honda CB750 K5

Post by bdevlinor » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:15 pm

Mh434,

Well, my heart goes out to you, man. Betrayal is one of the the worst things a person can experience; in order to be betrayed, you must have trusted the person who betrays you. Trust makes us vulnerable to lies, abuse and loss. It's a tough go. It will take some time to grieve and recover over the betrayal and loss. Friends and family can help. Not to mention the thousands of miles of absolutely gorgeous roads and countryside for motorcycling in your part of the world. Get out there and ride BC! Let some "Wind Therapy" help you get past this awful experience.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Superbrace. I'm sure that will be helpful to others.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:01 pm

bdevlinor wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:15 pm
Mh434,

Well, my heart goes out to you, man. Betrayal is one of the the worst things a person can experience; in order to be betrayed, you must have trusted the person who betrays you. Trust makes us vulnerable to lies, abuse and loss. It's a tough go. It will take some time to grieve and recover over the betrayal and loss.
Thanks, my friend! You seem to have direct knowledge of this kind of thing, and if you have experienced it, I feel for you. NO ONE should ever have to go through this much heartache! My trust in her was absolute, and I now know that virtually all the things she told me over the past year or two were lies, yet because I trusted, I didn't see the lies.

Despite that it started almost 3 months ago, every second of every minute, day & night, every day, I'm haunted by memories of her (and us). Sleep is impossible (dreams jolt me awake as soon as I drift off), I've lost almost 25 pounds (due to stress, uncertainty and grief), and I can't escape her memory. It's everywhere, in every sight, sound and smell. There is NOTHING I've experienced in the past 24 years that she wasn't an integral part of. I can't concentrate on TV, music, or books. I don't know how long it will take for me to return to some semblance of order in my life, but the road is steep, rocky, and dark.

***One piece of advice for all you guys out there - pay attention to her, LOOK for signs that she's not happy, and NEVER miss the opportunity to tell her you love her. Because if you do, one day it will be too late.***

Take it from one who knows.

I never even got to say "goodbye" to the one I loved more than life itself, my once-in-a-lifetime mate.

I'll take that to my grave.

OzDrabs
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing

Post by OzDrabs » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:33 pm

Thank goodness I didn't get this 'stiction' issue when I fitted it to my GL1800. Had a shimmy on the front end on slow turns and slowing into town. Brace improved that and now have had its first tyre change it is better than when it was first ridden with 1 km on the odometer. I was told when fitting to ensure everything was pinched up and then with the bike on the centre stand and someone hanging off the top box to lift the front wheel, spin the wheel and then grab it a move from side to side. Then off the stand and plunge the front forks with plenty of brake. Retighten to specs and hey presto.

8-)

Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by Scooter363y » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:13 am

I would remove the brace or at least remove the bolts so it cannot influence the slider alignment. Assemble the front end with whatever sequence of bolt tighten your manual recommends. Get the basic functionality of the forks back. Then try to install the brace the bolts should line up perfectly if not it is putting a side load on the forks causing a bind.

As for the other problem I don't see how she could stop you from going to the club functions unless she has a court order . But it sounds to me after hearing that club members knew what was going on and didn't want to tell you about that club is not one I would want to hang with anyway.

Good luck with both of your problems
Ride safe
Scooter

Scooter363y

Post by Scooter363y » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:34 am

I hear that adding a fork brace really helps the wing front end problems. But in my opinion this only addresses the symptoms and not the root cause of the problem.

The cause of the problem is the basic design of the front suspension. When you are going down the road all dampening is coming from the right side fork with nothing from the left except for the antidive function. This makes for unbalanced forces in the front end. I think that changing to the progressive suspension upgrade with two dampening (one in each leg) units will fix the problem at its source.

The anti dive is more of the same. The best one of those was on my Harley. Yes that's right I said it My Harley. It didn't overly restrict dampening like the wing and lots of other bikes. It had an air assist support system that connected the front forks to the engine guard. Under normal riding the air volume included the air in the guard. When the brakes were applied a solenoid cut off the guard making the air volume much less and giving a much more progressive spring rate to support the weight shift from braking. And still have normal dampening to deal with road irregularities.

Well that's all I got to say about that!
Ride safe
Scooter

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:24 am

Scooter363y wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:13 am

As for the other problem I don't see how she could stop you from going to the club functions unless she has a court order . But it sounds to me after hearing that club members knew what was going on and didn't want to tell you about that club is not one I would want to hang with anyway.

Good luck with both of your problems
Ride safe
Scooter
Thanks, Scooter. While it's true that she can't stop me from attending the functions, the humiliation of seeing them acting like loving honeymooners, right in front of me, and right in front of all my chapter mates, would be awful. I just can't understand how she could think this is acceptable, how she thinks I could just ignore it, but she does. I live on an island, and there are two GWRRA chapters. They go to ALL of the functions of BOTH chapters, religiously. They even attend the main functions of chapters on the mainland. There's no escaping it. My chapter president is uncomfortable with it, as are most of the chapter members, but it appears there's not a thing they can do about it. They understand that I've been excluded by the actions of a non-member, and they're unhappy about it. One sentiment that was expressed by several members, when they announced their affair shortly after she left me, was "God, the ****** body's not even cold yet!!"

Anyway, I'm sorry that I've derailed my own thread with my tale of woe, but it's so overwhelming that it affects every aspect of my life at the moment. All of my happy memories, all my hopes, and all of my dreams for the future crumbled around me in a single, awful moment, and I'm trying to come to terms with it. Having to build a whole new life from scratch, at my age, is a daunting prospect. I don't even know where to start.

Take heed, gentlemen. The expression "Happy wife, happy life" isn't just a truism. And just because she doesn't seem unhappy doesn't mean she isn't. Look deep, search for the signs, and act quickly to fix whatever you can. if you don't, you could find yourself where I am - in a brand new hell.

Scooter363y

Post by Scooter363y » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:56 pm

Well I tell you what I. Would do. Get the hottest,smoking hot ,beautiful woman you can find and show up at the next goldwing function with her on the back of your wing. Don't have to do anything. And let the rumors fly!

And good luck with stiction

Have fun
Scooter

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:09 pm

That's occurred to me - problem is, I don't know any anymore!! Too bad, too - it's a fantastic plan!!

On the lighter side, all the stress and grief have caused me to lose a bunch of weight over the past 3 months...28 pounds now, down to where I was when I was 30 & still in great shape (what drew her to me in the first place, she's always said). Even my 6-pack is reappearing!

I had planned on attending tonight's regular get together dinner/ride, but I just now got a call from one of the other members of the club, and my wife called him & confirmed she will be there for sure. As I'm not a fan of public humiliation, I can't attend. I hate being excluded from my own club, especially by a non-member. It's just wrong. She's not ashamed of what she's doing to me - she's proud of it!!