Engine hot, water in radiator neck is cold. Doesn't appear to have circulation

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
ScottyB
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100

Engine hot, water in radiator neck is cold. Doesn't appear to have circulation

Post by ScottyB » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:56 pm

I took off the radiator cap and started the bike and let it heat up, As usual the temp went to high, I could feel the engine heat up and the gauage said it was very hot, So I put my finger in the radiator cap hole and the water was cold. I thought the thermostat might be stuck so I pulled the housing. No thermostat. So it seems like the water should have heated up unless something else is wrong. I wonder if the water pump isn't working. Still seems like the water would heat up. Any Ideas would help my brain from frying. It's about 90 out here.

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Re: Engine hot, water in radiator neck is cold. Doesn't appear to have circulation

Post by indianakid » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:32 pm

you could easily remove the housing (2 bolts) from in front of the pump and after draining the coolant will be able to see the pump impeller. verify the fins are intact. if it is Bakelite it is the original to the bike. tap the starter to verify it turns ( it could have locked up and snapped off the drive tang). also it is a good time to verify if the bearings have any radial play. if it is all there and turns i am at a loss as to why you have no coolant flow. so i am going to ask a question..... when you checked the thermostat and say it was gone did you just pull the pump cap as i suggested above or the actuall thermostat housing as shown below. because the thermostat housing is a bit of effort to get to.........
Attachments

ScottyB

Re: Engine hot, water in radiator neck is cold. Doesn't appear to have circulation

Post by ScottyB » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:03 pm

Thanks for the response, As you say I just pulled the thermostat cover. Then I put the cover back on and drained the fluid. Looks like pure antifreeze to me. So I put pure water in this time and let it warm up. This time as I revved it up I could see the fluid drop and it got hot. I still never heard the fan come on, But it didn't get as hot as it had before so maybe the fan didn't have a reason to come on. I also found a toggle switch wired in under the false tank. When I switch it nothing happens. I called the previous owner and he say's he doesn't know what the switch is. I thought somebody might have wired a fan switch in like I"ve been reading. I don't want to put it back together without testing the fan. I can't find the wires to test the fan. The diagram say's there are 2 wires down by the thermostat, But I don't see any. Does anybody know where they are and how to test the fan without taking the radiator out.

ScottyB

Post by ScottyB » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:07 pm

I also need to add that when I had the thermostat cover off, I put my finger in and could feel the impellor blades, From what I could see and feel the seemed intact and when I ran the motor this time the water heated and there was obvious movement when I revved up the motor

ScottyB

Post by ScottyB » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:27 pm

I just got this bike and I want to give her proper due so I need to add another query. Sometimes it will run for a long time and the heat will stay dead center. But I also noticed that when I get to around 3k rpm she starts to miss and cut out. I don't think at this point she would do over about 65 or 70 max.

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Post by Overdog » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:07 pm

ScottyB wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:07 pm
I also need to add that when I had the thermostat cover off, I put my finger in and could feel the impellor blades, From what I could see and feel the seemed intact and when I ran the motor this time the water heated and there was obvious movement when I revved up the motor
The thermostat is not under the cover where the water pump is....it's attached to the coolant tubes above the engine block. If you've been looking in the wrong place it might turn out that a stuck thermostat is your problem

indianakid

Post by indianakid » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:51 pm

the fan switch is by the thermostat ........
Attachments

ScottyB

Post by ScottyB » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:45 am

Thanks for that pic, It's what I finally needed to see. Your right I was looking at the cover below the radiator and the one I want is on top of the motor. I hunted for that pic for hours yesterday, Luckily I still have it apart so I will check the thermostat.

ScottyB

Post by ScottyB » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:15 pm

Ok, Finally got back to working on the bike. Pic really helped, I took out the radiator and pulled the thermostat housing, Low and behold there was the thermostat. I ran a lead to my battery and the fan fires off, So it seems to be Ok, Now I'm boiling water to check the thermostat. While I'm in here this time I think I'll give the starter a bump and see if the impellor spins. At 180 degree's the thermostat opened about 1/8" and at 200 it opened about 1/4"

indianakid

Post by indianakid » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:17 pm

from factory Honda manual.......................
Attachments

ScottyB

Post by ScottyB » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:53 am

Alright, I figured the thermostat was Ok so I reinstalled it and put the radiator back. As I said earlier while I had the radiator out I tested the fan and it ran fine, So I started the bike and it ran right up into the red. The fan never ran. I guess this means the sensor is bad so I will have to put a remote switch on the fan till I can get the new sensor.

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:31 pm

Just to cover the basics …..
Are you certain the engine is overheating. Do you have any evidence of actual engine temp, or is it only the gauge reaching the red zone??
A bad voltage regulator (7 vdc) on some models makes the temp and gas gauge rise to full scale... false readings.

ScottyB

Post by ScottyB » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:25 pm

I'm still trying to figure this one out. I went for a ride yesterday and it overheated again. At this point I've pulled the thermostat and boiled it, opened up at about 180 and fully open at about 200. I flushed the radiator and it seems to run straight through. Pulled the impeler cover and cranked the engine over and it spun just fine. I wired a toggle switch to the fan so I know it's running and I can feel the air blowing across my legs. So I put the anti-freeze back in and let it warm up until the thermostat opened and topped it off. So I think everything should be OK, But it overheats again. Seems like such a simple system, what else could it be. One thing I noticed is the anti freeze seemed very green for a 50/50 mixture. Is it possible that the previous owner put straight anti freeze in it and would straight anti freeze cause it to over heat. Also I guess I'm going to run it up and let it overheat and put a thermometer in the radiator to see if maybe it's the gauge.