traffic light stop/wait/go best practice?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
chunk
Motorcycle: '95 bmw r100r M, '77 yamaha xt500, '81 honda gl 1100I

Re: traffic light stop/wait/go best practice?

Post by chunk » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:45 am

For me, right, foot down, in neutral. I stop several feet back from the car in front and line up on the outside of that car. It gives me a clear path ahead if need be and if a cage does not stop they will rear end the car, not me. I also watch the traffic coming up from behind, and if they are coming a bit fast for my comfort i split the lane ahead. I know it sounds complicated maybe, but after more than 50 motorcycles, 40 plus years of riding on the Southern California roads, I'm still here and have had 2 or 3 close calls, but never an accident. I know safety schools preach staying in gear but I think that puts undue stress on the clutch and TO bearing, and can be uncomfortable at long lights as well. Mostly it comes down to not being complacent, i remind myself of that before every ride and dress appropriately, if even just the 2 miles to the quickie mart. Stay safe, cheers chunk.

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:55 am

I have been pleasantly surprised, after moving from a relatively small suburb in Ohio to near Chicago, how many drivers behind me stay further back when they stop than normal. In a "fight for every inch of available space" when on 4 wheels, it is good to see this courtesy for us 2-wheelers ;)

agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:49 am

Still can't get away from the fact, I'm short, 71 years old, not got the muscles I used to have and somtimes put you foot down and there aint no ground there, in a split second you've dropped the beast. :oops:
The latest with me is now strained a muscle in my shoulder, so riding the wing is out with me, I was just about to advertise it on Ebay when I came across TOWPAC INSTATRIKE, so this is what I've decided to do as there's no stigma riding a trike with me, as I already have that piece of junk called a Can Am Spyder.

Anyone know of a used Instatrike anywhere I'd be grateful. I could buy a new one but getting it delivered to France without paying a pile of taxes is the problem. :cry:

SO anyone hears of an instatrike kit going, let me know. :roll:

I'd wrather have a triked wing than no wing at all.

Thanks for all your input and replies to my questions and Instatrike willing I'll still be with this website :D

chunk
Motorcycle: '95 bmw r100r M, '77 yamaha xt500, '81 honda gl 1100I

Post by chunk » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:41 pm

agedbikeman wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:49 am
Still can't get away from the fact, I'm short, 71 years old, not got the muscles I used to have and somtimes put you foot down and there aint no ground there, in a split second you've dropped the beast. :oops:
The latest with me is now strained a muscle in my shoulder, so riding the wing is out with me, I was just about to advertise it on Ebay when I came across TOWPAC INSTATRIKE, so this is what I've decided to do as there's no stigma riding a trike with me, as I already have that piece of junk called a Can Am Spyder.

Anyone know of a used Instatrike anywhere I'd be grateful. I could buy a new one but getting it delivered to France without paying a pile of taxes is the problem. :cry:

SO anyone hears of an instatrike kit going, let me know. :roll:

I'd wrather have a triked wing than no wing at all.

Thanks for all your input and replies to my questions and Instatrike willing I'll still be with this website :D

I wonder if you've considered attaching a sidecar to the wing? Might be technically easier, and thusly cheaper, I 'm just wondering out loud. My dad grew up in WWII time England and because of costs and petrol prices always road himself, my mom, and dog around in a Rudge with a sidecar. I'm not too far behind you in age and have already decided to do a sidecar rig when the time comes and I think 2 wheels aren't an option anymore. cheers from California.

agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:51 pm

Had sidecar rigs when I was younger, I'm now a convinced triker, anyway, try buying a sidecar in France, fat chance