Turn signal OEM Pin outs

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
bigbillh
Motorcycle: 2008 1800 Goldwing with Champion solid axle trike conversion

Turn signal OEM Pin outs

Post by bigbillh » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:40 pm

Hello,
Can anyone tell me which if any of the OEM harnesses shown in the pic have the turn signal included in it? I installed a Pathfinder LED light in my 2008 Goldwing trike conversion. The included wiring does not match the conversion as the red and blue snapin connectors are no longer there due to the Champion solid axle conversion. The harness comes out of the lower trunk near the top and goes up under the upper trunk where I can't get at it without removing the upper trunk. NOT something I really want to get into doing. If I can identify which of the shown connectors has the turn signals and running light wires in it I can pin test it to find the 3 wires I need. I don't really want to pin test every wire in all 4 or 5 harness. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill
Attachments

M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Re: Turn signal OEM Pin outs

Post by M61A1MECH » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:10 am

I can tell you that according to the wiring diagram I have for my 2013 GL the wire colors used are:
Brown with white stripe = Tail light
Orange = Left turn
Light Blue = Right turn
Green = Ground

I would hope that Honda kept the same wire colors/function as they went from year to year, so maybe those are worthy candidates to explore first until some one can verify for your year model.

That sealed grey connector in the middle of your picture look like a good candidate to look at, based on the colors I can see in the photo.
One real easy way to find out is unplug it and turn the ignition on, try each turn signal , if they do not work, then at least you found the connector, you just need to sort out which wire.

Good luck
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

bigbillh

Post by bigbillh » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:11 am

THANKS!!!
I appreciate the help!

Bill

bigbillh

Post by bigbillh » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi,
I found the correct connector. On my 2008 GW, it is the rectangular connector in the bottom left corner of picture. Orange and blue wires in one corner next to each other, brown on the opposite long side along with the brake. I used an attachment box so I'm good to go.
Thanks so much for the help and pointing me it the right direction!

Bill :mrgreen:

GoldWingrGreg
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Post by GoldWingrGreg » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:26 am

M61A1MECH wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:10 am
I can tell you that according to the wiring diagram I have for my 2013 GL the wire colors used are:
Brown with white stripe = Tail light
Orange = Left turn
Light Blue = Right turn
Green = Ground
I believe those colors are an SAE (society of automotive engineers) industry standard. From my Chrysler/Plymouth/Datsun years of being a dealer mechanic back in the mid to late '70s, orange, blue, and brown was used then. On the Chrysler side ground was always black.

M61A1MECH
Motorcycle: 2013 Goldwing

Post by M61A1MECH » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:56 am

Maybe, but other metric bikes are not using that color code.
But really does not matter as long as you know what color carries what function
Steve K
Edgewater, FL

And the Lord said. "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

bigbillh

Post by bigbillh » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi Ya,
Well everything worked except the running lights with the breakout box. The brown wire in the connector didn't work as well as any other connector. None of them would power the relay in the box. (Show Chrome Accessories 13-311 Electronic Fuse Block Accessory Lighting) I ended up going to the Aux Relay in the relays box which had a thicker wire and used that. Small wires just wasn't pushing enough juice to power that relay. Thin wires were fine for both turn signals. Always something!
So I finally got the Pathfinder LED Spoiler Light working on all the elements. Sequential turns, running and brake lights. Purdy!
Thanks!

Bill