Radio Memory Loss

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rerider
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing GL1500

Radio Memory Loss

Post by rerider » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:08 pm

When I park my bike overnight, I have to reset all my stations into the memory of the radio again. I checked all my fuses and all are good. Does anyone know where the memory gets its power from as I assume it comes through a fuse somewhere. Does anyone know I should start looking for a problem.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: Radio Memory Loss

Post by bluthundr31 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:17 pm

The radio "memory" is connected to an "always" hot (12v) within the radio harness, to retain memory. The constant "draw" is so small it won't harm the battery.

IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE/CHANGED ANYTHING TO THE RADIO, , disconnect the connector to the radio and find the constant "power" wire and make sure it is clean and making a proper contact. Many times rust/corrosion can cause a poor connection with bikes as old as ours.

Be prepared to find the radio schematics in your manual to help identify the wires/connector.

If you end up needing to send the radio in for repair, strongly consider Sieirra Electronics, , they're wizards with these radios.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:17 pm

Just to be clear, fuse #13 for the radio memory is inside the relay box, not the fuse box.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:35 am

Rambozo wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:17 pm
Just to be clear, fuse #13 for the radio memory is inside the relay box, not the fuse box.
Since it is a 89 model, the backup fuse (#9) is in the fuse box.
#13 backup fuse is found in the relay box on 93-2000 models.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Sorry, I thought it was a 99. :oops:

rerider
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing GL1500

Post by rerider » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:09 am

Thank you so much for the response. I have had the radio out and sent to Sierra several times and need to do it again as the tape player isn't working again. I guess I will have to move the saddle bag and get into the relay box to check the fuse in there but the confusion I have with it all is that I don't loose the memory when I turn the bike off and sometimes it will hold from day to day but not always. Sounds like I need to pull the fuse, check it and clean the contacts and if that doesn't help, pull the radio and find the always hot wire and clean the contact point.

Again, I appreciate your help and advice.

Maybe you could advise me about one other thing. For some time I have had the problem of the mute coming on and off on it's own so I am constantly having to turn the radio volume up when it's muted so I can hear it and down when it decides to come off. I read in Wing World that there is a ground wire loose behind the left fairing orange light but I couldn't find anything back in there that like a ground wire. Any wisdom you guys have, please share.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:17 pm

rerider wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:09 am
Thank you so much for the response. I have had the radio out and sent to Sierra several times and need to do it again as the tape player isn't working again. I guess I will have to move the saddle bag and get into the relay box to check the fuse in there but the confusion I have with it all is that I don't loose the memory when I turn the bike off and sometimes it will hold from day to day but not always. Sounds like I need to pull the fuse, check it and clean the contacts and if that doesn't help, pull the radio and find the always hot wire and clean the contact point.

Again, I appreciate your help and advice.

Maybe you could advise me about one other thing. For some time I have had the problem of the mute coming on and off on it's own so I am constantly having to turn the radio volume up when it's muted so I can hear it and down when it decides to come off. I read in Wing World that there is a ground wire loose behind the left fairing orange light but I couldn't find anything back in there that like a ground wire. Any wisdom you guys have, please share.
On your bike you don't need to remove the saddlebag. Just remove the side panel and the fuse is in the fuse box.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:49 pm

IIRC, there IS a "capped" connector in that left side of the fairing, but I'd describe it as "in front of the left fairing pocket. The capped connector is most often used to replace the "reflector" bar (just above the fan) with a light strip and is a plug-and-play add-on. I don't see why you couldn't "tap" into that ground wire to the connector if you needed another ground over there.