Radio controls inop with engine running

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
rick78efi460
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100a

Radio controls inop with engine running

Post by rick78efi460 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:34 pm

My radio controls work fine with the key in the accessory position, but when I start the bike I only have volume control. I cannot choose between FM/AM/AUX, I cannot change channels, and sometimes the volume just drops to nothing. None of these problems exist with the engine off, it all works fine. I did clean the battery terminals. What circuit is different from key on engine running , and accessory? If I switch the radio to FM in ACC then start the bike I can listen to that one station. If I want any other function I need to switch to ACC , chose the function then start the engine. The controls on the dash and handlebars work the same way. Any ideas?

marshallscottw8758
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda Goldwing GL1200AH Aspencade

Re: Radio controls inop with engine running

Post by marshallscottw8758 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:02 pm

I assure you I will probably be corrected shortly but from my experience and understanding, the 12v Rectifier enables instrument and accessory function with bike not running. While its running the stator provides power moreso if not completely instead or along with the battery. My opinion is in the wiring
. Does all fuses meet required amperage? What you've described I've seen happen.when a started and running goldwings battery positive cable is removed.