Tow Dolly Ready to Roll

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Tow Dolly Ready to Roll

Post by okie2ee » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:15 am

Thought I would share a couple of photos of my new custom made tow dolly for the trike. Serves two purposes.......trike recovery should I have a problem and tow to destination for riding when riding to the final destination conditions may not be ideal.

The dolly is made from an old Chrysler Le Baron rear axle assembly which I sectioned and added the ramp and upper frame support. Very quick and easy to load and pulls easily behind the car. A little extra wear on the auto rear end on the trike and the tires but not enough to make a difference.

Just got back from test drive and smooth as silk at 75 mph. Now to check out how hard it is to disconnect the drive shaft.

Will also add a steel chain wrapped around the wheel and rim and bolted tight

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Tow Dolly Ready to Roll

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:12 am

Looks good.

would be super neat if you could install a PTO clutch like the one on Lawn Tractor mower decks.

push a button, and the driveshaft is free wheeling.

pull out the button, and the driveshaft is engaged.

Find a used lawn tractor for cheap, and remove the PTO clutch from the engine's shaft.
My mower uses a Briggs and Stratton V-Twin vertical shaft engine, might be room for it to install it.

you could also start the engine, and just leave it idling, so the oil is circulated.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

okie2ee
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:20 pm

The PTO clutch idea is great..............I have one on my Honda HT3813 lawnmower which is 32 years young............ran through trial run on disconnecting the driveshaft and discovered the drive shaft is under some spring tension pushing against the pinion connection. Just enough to make it difficult to move the u-joint off the pinion shaft............wasn't expecting that. Did finally get it moved to the side enough to allow towing.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:16 pm

How about locking hubs? No tools needed,and fewer rotating components.
How does the dolly tow behind the trike?

Rodzim
Motorcycle: 1994 gl1500 se

Post by Rodzim » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:51 pm

I like it man. I love custom made stuff, i cant bring myself to buy anything, i have to make it to fit my purpose. Most times i end up spending more but what the hell, i enjoy fabricating things.
I made a drift trike just for the hell of it and gave it to a friend who has 2 teenagers and they love it. A lot of stuuf i make usually end up as gifts for friends and family.

okie2ee
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:57 pm

Successfully towed my bike with trailer attached from Oklahoma to Minnesota, 700 miles with no problem. Very easy to tow and no control issues. I did however learn something important about removing the drive shaft prior to towing. First off, it's a real bear to get the drive shaft reinstalled on my trike. After much struggle and a few choice words was able to reinstall drive shaft. Took off on a 400 mile trip and discovered that I had developed a noticeable vibration at low speed when taking off and also a slight vibration at cruising speed. After careful thought and consideration............my brother indicated that the drive shaft u-joints have to be phased in order to work properly. So when I reached our destination I removed the drive shaft again and then attempted to get the proper orientation.........joints on both ends should be in the same plane. This presented an even more trying situation than initially when trying to reinstall the drive shaft. I finally ended up using strips of duct tape on the drive shaft and the u-joint on the engine to mark the alignment. I finally got the drive shaft installed and the difference was immediately noticeable........smooth as silk. I even think it was better than prior to removing the drive shaft. Previously, I always noticed a slight amount of vibration when letting off the throttle at high speed. Moral to the story.........make sure your drive shaft u-joints are aligned properly.......there are a number of articles on this subject on the internet. The only real negative when I was towing my trike and trailer is that I was charged the same amount as a semi truck when traveling on the toll roads in Oklahoma.

Return trip configuration...........towed behind my trike

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:32 pm

okie2ee wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:20 pm
............ran through trial run on disconnecting the driveshaft and discovered the drive shaft is under some spring tension pushing against the pinion connection. Just enough to make it difficult to move the u-joint off the pinion shaft............wasn't expecting that. Did finally get it moved to the side enough to allow towing.
That's the function of the spring on the drive shaft just behind the front OEM Honda U-joint, it keeps the U-joint all the way up on the transmission output splined shaft and thus keep the U-joint cross in line with the swing arm pivots.
okie2ee wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:57 pm
The only real negative when I was towing my trike and trailer is that I was charged the same amount as a semi truck when traveling on the toll roads in Oklahoma.

tow dolly bike and trailer.jpg

tow dolly and trailer.jpg

Return trip configuration...........towed behind my trike
Be good idea to check laws in other states before towing like in those two pics. Illegal here for sure. Just a shout out!

Nice trike!

okie2ee
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:29 am

I did check with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol department and there was not a problem with the towing configuration. The only requirement they mentioned was overall length less than 40 feet for the towed items. I wonder what the restriction would be in your state.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:14 am

I have seen pickup trucks towing an RV camper going down the interstate with a boat trailer behind the camper....

I think the most surprising tow I've seen, though, was two guys on a Goldwing, towing a snowmobile trailer with another 'Wing and two dirt bikes on on it. Wish I had a picture of that...

I keep waiting to see a Goldwing pulling a rowboat trailer.... wouldn't weigh much more than a loaded camper...

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark