Help! removing fork seal..no joy

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing TriKing Trike

Help! removing fork seal..no joy

Post by JohnUSA » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:08 pm

I'm following the tutorial: viewtopic.php?t=16118

On step 41, I cannot get that bottom hex head bolt out. I even tried removing it with a hand held impact driver.

I went back to 39b, removed the side bolt, and drained the tube.

I removed the dust cover and retaining ring, and then tried the slide hammer process to remove the seal. It is not budging.

Is there something internal preventing it from coming out? Or do I just need to try harder?

Thanks.

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 honda goldwing aspencade GL1500

Re: Help! removing fork seal..no joy

Post by 4given » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:18 pm

The allen head bolt must be removed first before you can bump the seal out. It can be difficult depending on how long it’s been in and how hard it has been torqued.Make sure you have a very tight fitting Allen wrench. Make sure you have a very tight fitting Allen wrench.

thebruce
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500SE Anniversary Edition #54

Post by thebruce » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:29 pm

I literally completed this task today.

The 6mm socket Allen fastener at the very bottom of the slider is what needs to be removed. It is accessed through a hole pointing up through the bore the axle would otherwise sit in. I had to drill them out of mine and find new bolts because i think this is the first time they were removed in 260,xxx km. Gross. If they were to come out nicely an impact gun helps for removal and installation.

It is referred to as the drain screw in the DIY (I *think the drain screws are really at the bottom of the anti-dive valve bodies).

It probably feels like there is a little spring preventing you from separating the two bits, right?

If you are replacing the fork seals, it might be a good idea to replace the slide and guide bushings as well.

I used Lucas 20w synthetic fork oil with stock fork springs, added a superbrace and am impressed with the difference. There was almost no fluid left in my forks previous, however. Still need steering head bearings...
It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you have your knees to the breeze.

JohnUSA

Post by JohnUSA » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:40 am

I went to daughter's house for dinner. Remembered I had an electric impact driver. Didn't budge it.

I turned them upside down, put some Kroil on the threads...we'll see what happens tomorrow.

JohnUSA

Post by JohnUSA » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:43 am

thebruce wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:29 pm

I literally completed this task today.

The 6mm socket Allen fastener at the very bottom of the slider is what needs to be removed. It is accessed through a hole pointing up through the bore the axle would otherwise sit in. I had to drill them out.
Can you comment on what size drill bit you used?

Am assuming you drilled off the head, and then disassembled everything? Did that leave the threaded shaft of the socket bolt in that inner pipe? How did you get that out? Did you still need to keep drilling the bolt out?

Or, was it a one shot drilling event through the bottom?

4given

Post by 4given » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:45 pm

If you scroll down to the comments after wing admin’s procedure Millerized gives instructions on how to remove those stubborn Allen head bolts at the bottom of the fork tube. He even has some pics included. A drill bit about the same size or larger than the hole for the Allen wrench. Drill down about a quarter of an inch then use a punch to knock the head off the bolt. You will need to get another bolt which they stock at various parts warehouses.

4given

Post by 4given » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:48 pm

I got mine from Cyclemax

JohnUSA

Post by JohnUSA » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:50 pm

Millerized post/picture should be a sticky under "How To".

I searched and read, far and wide...missed it. I wish I would have seen it sooner, saved me some time.

How to remove frozen drain bolt, bottom of fork
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16118&p=202155#p202155, page 2, about #14 down.

Straight forward, took just a few minutes, done. Insert happy dancing emoji here!

Thank you, 4given!

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:22 pm

I'm glad you guys are posting all this stuff, I have to do this job this weekend. I have this funny feeling that I'll find that somebody else has already been at that bolt and didn't replace it but just cranked it back in. Hoping dont need it but its good to see there is a work around if thats what happens. :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

JohnUSA

Post by JohnUSA » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Yeah, I'll have the shocks back on the bike today. Feels good.

Good luck with yours. As was mentioned elsewhere, grab a couple replacement bolts and crush washers ahead of time. Cheap insurance. Even if your's back right out, nothing wrong with replacing them with new ones.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:04 pm

Honda uses thread locker on those cap screws. Heat the head of screw for about 15-20 seconds with a mapp gas torch then proceed to loosen with air/electric impact wrench. This is all done with springs installed and tube cap installed pushing down on slider slightly. Slowly release, turn over and remove springs.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

4given

Post by 4given » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:34 pm

JohnUSA wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:50 pm
Millerized post/picture should be a sticky under "How To".

I searched and read, far and wide...missed it. I wish I would have seen it sooner, saved me some time.

How to remove frozen drain bolt, bottom of fork
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16118&p=202155#p202155, page 2, about #14 down.

Straight forward, took just a few minutes, done. Insert happy dancing emoji here!

Thank you, 4given!
You are welcome. Glad I could help. Can’t tell you how many times the people on this site have helped bail me out. I honestly have no need to consult any other forum.

JohnUSA

Post by JohnUSA » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:48 pm

After I drilled it, and punched it through, I removed the bolt remnant with my fingers.

As an aside, anyone know if there are torque specs for the bottom bolt, and side drain bolt? I can't image more than a few foot pounds, or "calibrated wrist" tight...thought I would ask. Might as well check while everything is apart.

4given

Post by 4given » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:45 pm

The repair manual calls for 14ft/lbs. I’m not sure I would do even that. There is a fine line between enough and too much torque. Just enough to seal the washer and keep the bolt from backing out.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:40 am

Before you go to the effort to drill out the bottom screw try taking a flat end punch or metal bar and give the head of the bolt a good wack with a hammer. It will likely rattle the threads enough to loosen the bolt and have the advantage of tightening the Allen hole which will make the wrench more effective when you go to turn it out. I have also had some success with putting a small amount of lapping compound on the end of the Allen wrench, the grit bites the sides of the hole and reduces the tendency to strip the hole out. (realize that this technique works great but is hard on the Allen wrench tip as the grit bites and wears it as well)
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Happytrails
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Gave the impact driver a bunch of good wacks but it didn't really do the trick. In the end used some muscle and cracked both fork bottom bolts loose. Took a little longer than I expected going too slow I guess on the first fork tube. Particles in the old fork oil, was expecting it to stink more since everybody comments on that. It didn't really stink at all. Old bushings a little worn, seals weren't leaking and they didn't look dryrotted. Thank goodness for guides and forums :D
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:43 am

Glad to hear that you got them out, small bolts in hard to reach places can be a royal pain and those two can qualify easily!
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Happytrails
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:45 am

Thanks, yes those were in a tough spot. I'm still trying to understand how that upper floating bushing works.
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:15 pm

It's trapped between the housing and the flat washer that goes under the seal and provides the upper support for the shock tube. The lower bushing is on the bottom of the piston or shock tube.

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:25 pm

FYI: if anyone else tries the hammer trick to loosen the bottom bolt (or any other for that matter) you have to hit the bolt like you were mad at it, don't just tap it. If it's a large bolt then hit it like you wanted it to end up in the next room somewhere.