Thoughts on the Shoei RJ Platnum

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Thoughts on the Shoei RJ Platnum

Post by Mountain rider » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:48 pm

I'm looking at getting the Shoei for a second helmet. I've got an HJC IS Max, and it's a good helmet, but when it's hot out, it just doesn't give me enough air. The other thing I've found with the HJC is the weight, when on longer rides really wears on my shoulders and neck. The Shoei appears to weigh in under 3lbs which would be a real plus. If I add an Ed-set headset, I'll be ready for those longer trips or when the temperature rises. Of those that use the Shoei, how do you like them, any issues? Rumor has it they're really comfortable as well.

SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Thoughts on the Shoei RJ Platnum

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:18 pm

I have the Shoei Modular with EdSet speakers/mic

never weighed it but I think it is heavier than 3 lbs.

I have a Madstad windshield and on hot days, I loosen the side bolts, and let it slide down to the bottom which lets my helmet get full wind in my face. Doing that allows the vents on top of the helmet catch air and directs it over my head and back to exit out in the rear somewhere.

When I had the Tulsa Tall windshield, I never felt any wind in my face ever, and my head would get soaking wet.

I have left the modular face open at times, which is dangerous if you have an OFF with it open, but that allow you to get a lot of wind in your face.

Even with a modular down and locked, the face shield can be opened up wide and you will get quite a bit of air in your face.

I have a HJC IS Max from 15 years ago, it is still serviceable, but I was wearing it when a Semi T-boned me... put a new face shield on it 2 years ago... so it can be used as a spare just in case someone wants to ride behind me.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Re: Thoughts on the Shoei RJ Platnum

Post by Mountain rider » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:55 pm

How do you like your EdSets? This is what I'm looking at for the new helmet, and since I found one at a steal, didn't feel I could get hurt to bad. Most reviews seem to be really good.
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired