removed rear wheel and right rear Shock separated

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Rc67
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I

removed rear wheel and right rear Shock separated

Post by Rc67 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:24 am

Hi everyone,

was hoping I could get some advice on my Rear shocks. So I finally put some miles on my 80 GL1100, and wow, what a blast it's been. I decided that the tires need to be replaced, so I set on removing the rear wheel. WingAdmin's DIY is awesome, and after breaking my back bending over in the 98 degrees MS weather, I was able to disassemble and remove the wheel. In the process of the removal, my right rear shock separated, at the middle, from the top and bottom. I see a few threads and Youtube videos from the DIY, but I'm not sure I want to go down that road. I see some air shocks on eBay that have that hoses and the air valve attachment, but I think they may be for the Aspencade versions with the Air pump. my current shocks look like they have air nipples on the side of the Shocks and not the typical ones from the top at an angle, but there were no hose attachments to them. my questions are:

1. can I use the Aspencade versions, without having to purchase the pump assembly or can I incorporate that into my bike as well? I noticed that the valve attachment has a nipple, but it also has a unit below it with wiring coming out( see pic below). I'm assuming that is for the Pump assembly.

2. what are some good alternate shocks, that I don't have to break the bank for? I see the Progressive shocks, but I just can't afford the $499 version right now as my father passed away recently, and I'm taking care of my mother now. every bit of money becomes important.

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Re: removed rear wheel and right rear Shock separated

Post by Overdog » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:34 am

Progressive 412 shocks (non-air) cost me about $230. I remember someone got a cheaper set from eBay for under $100 and was happy with them.

Rc67

Post by Rc67 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:43 pm

Well I've decided, instead of trying to do a rebuild, I thought about finding some OEM air shocks and get a compressor and gauge system from an 82 Aspencade and set it up on my 80 GL1100. I was wondering if there is any place I can go to to get a diagram of the setup, I feel I can do this but sure would like to see what it looks like before I Sawzall my tank cover and try to fit the components in blindly. also would like to know how to wire it up if there is possible information on that as well.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:40 pm

If I recall correctly the 80 had low spring pressure, on the tac. That would be where the wire you have goes.

Check this video out.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36307

This will show how you can put your shock back together.

Keep us posted.

Rc67

Post by Rc67 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:47 am

Wilcoy02 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:40 pm
If I recall correctly the 80 had low spring pressure, on the tac. That would be where the wire you have goes.

Check this video out.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36307

This will show how you can put your shock back together.

Keep us posted.
Wilcoy, interestingly enough, I watched all your videos the other night. :) great job by the way. So I took a photo of my both my shock and Tach, and you are right on the Tach, there is a pressure light.

I will take a look at the tach to see where the connection would be.

I also took a pic of my shock, please let me know if you think it's still salvageable. If so, can I still use the OEM pressure hoses and connections or would I have to use those plastic hoses and connectors, that Progressive air shocks use?

By the way I found an 82 Aspencade Compressor and Gauge setup with all the hoses and what looks to be the wiring harness (32109-MB9-870), at least it looks something like that. I found that the wiring harness is discontinued. do you know of any place to get the harness, if needed, and if not, is there any alternative.

thanks again for your help

Wilcoy02

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:22 am

The oem should be all you need.
Your shock should still be usable IF THE THREADS are not stripped.You did not show the springs.If there are 2 springs inside then someone has already changed to progressive springs. If not then I would put progressive springs in. 40 year old springs is asking a lot
If you rebuild the shock you will have like new shocks. Getting a used one you will not know if the seals are good, or if the bumper is even still good.
My opinion is to rebuild your shock and then you will have a good one. Plus probably cheaper.

As for the wire harness-- Just get some wire and run it your self.

I still have the pieces to press it all together which I let others use. All I ask is payment for the shipping to you. The tread all is not sent as it cost too much to mail it also.

Let us know what you do.

good luck

Rc67

Post by Rc67 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Wilcoy02 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:22 am
The oem should be all you need.
Your shock should still be usable IF THE THREADS are not stripped.You did not show the springs.If there are 2 springs inside then someone has already changed to progressive springs. If not then I would put progressive springs in. 40 year old springs is asking a lot
If you rebuild the shock you will have like new shocks. Getting a used one you will not know if the seals are good, or if the bumper is even still good.
My opinion is to rebuild your shock and then you will have a good one. Plus probably cheaper.

As for the wire harness-- Just get some wire and run it your self.

I still have the pieces to press it all together which I let others use. All I ask is payment for the shipping to you. The tread all is not sent as it cost too much to mail it also.

Let us know what you do.

good luck
Wilcoy,

It does have the 2 springs in it. Will the parts in your video be applicable to these Shocks? If it is, then I will go ahead and try my hand at it.

Wilcoy02

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:03 pm

Yes-- the parts are good on all GL1100 bikes.

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:09 pm

the shock pictured on the truck bed is not a factory honda shock. the air inlet is coming from the side of the body. honda shocks have the inlet on the top fitting................

Wilcoy02

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:21 pm

indianakid is correct. I did not notice that.

I still would try to rebuild. Should be very similar.

Rc67

Post by Rc67 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:02 am

Indianakid,

you are correct that is why I asked intially. These are actually Progressive Shocks.

Wilcoy, I saw the tool that you fabricated, in your video, but I noticed that there was a product on Amazon:

Do you think this might work as well? I really appreciate you offering to send your setup to press it all together, but I figured that maybe I should have one in, just in case. found this based on a search for compression tool for Progressive Air Shocks.