82 Interstate, Headlight Turns off When Signalling Right

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
thegambler
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200LTD, 1982 GL500I

82 Interstate, Headlight Turns off When Signalling Right

Post by thegambler » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 pm

I recently purchased a 1982 GL1100 Interstate, and as the title states, the headlight turns off when I signal right. Left signal is fine. I took apart the signal switch and cleaned it, buy no luck. Any ideas where to check next? Thanks in advance.

thegambler
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200LTD, 1982 GL500I

Re: 82 Interstate, Headlight Turns off When Signalling Right

Post by thegambler » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:02 pm

Update:

So I was looking at the wiring on the bike, and noticed that things are a little bit messy. After securing some connections, my problem has changed, but I think it may have helped me determine the issue.

Now when I signal right, rather than the headlight turning off, the gauge lights turn off. However, I noticed that when I signal left the position light on the same bulb (running light) turns off. However, the light stays on when signalling right. I believe that the wire for the dash lighting and right side position light are switched.

Any idea on which wires I need to switch and where? My apologies, electrical troubleshooting is not my forte. Thanks in advance.

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Re: 82 Interstate, Headlight Turns off When Signalling Right

Post by OldguyGlen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:12 am

Highly unlikely any wires got switched. These kinds of symptoms are almost always a failed ground connection. Could be at a frame termination, or corrosion in the bulb socket, or a broken ground wire. The current through a filament can't find ground directly so it flows backwards through the companion filament searching for ground via other bulbs sharing that filament's supply wiring. That sort of works until one of those other bulbs get turned on and disturbs the parasitic path for the troubled bulb.
Start with the bulb/socket and then frame grounds. It may take some searching but will be a simple fix when you find it.