• Sponsored Links
pidjones
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800A
1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine (project)

Re: Lets talk torque wrench

Post by pidjones » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:01 am

tamathumper wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:38 pm
There's not much to calibrating a torque wrench.

Lock it in a vice, hang a known weight a foot out along the handle (or do the math if the handle is longer)... Voila.
I hang a plastic bucket at one foot, add sand until it clicks, weigh the bucket. Do this at several settings. Good for 1/4" and 3/8", not so much for 1/2". Remember that the Pittsburgh wrenches are never lower than the major increment (5 ft-lb on a 3/8, 10 ft-lb on a 1/2"), so know that is what they start from. The barrel markings can confuse, so I always count going up. This will keep you from over-torquing lower torque (~12-25 ft-lb) fasteners.

Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by Scooter363y » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 pm

I grew up working on cars (street and race) and motorcycles. This hands on experience definitely helped out when I went to school working on a mechanical engineering degree.

Bolts are strange fasteners. In order to work correctly they have to "stretch" slightly but not overly so. In order to do this we use an inclined plane (threads) in order to load the bolt to its elastic range loading. Thread pitch,bolt material, and lubricant all make the proper torque an elusive number to come up with. Then figure in the base material, iron,cast iron,steel, and most importantly to us aluminum! Consult your factory service manual for the right specs for your bike.

Bolt fastener facts:
Most bolt torque specs are based on clean dry hole threads and a clean lightly oiled bolt
A bolt threaded into a base material only needs 5 threads to develop full strength
The top thread carries a majority of the load the 5th thread carries about 15% of the load
A con rod bolt (the most stressed bolt) is measured for length to check for proper "stretch"

Ride safe and keep your nuts-bolts tight
Scooter

RS23V0G
Motorcycle: 1987 gl1200a Aspencade

Post by RS23V0G » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:02 am

C-dub wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:51 pm
Since I am also in the market for some torque wrenches I checked these HF wrenches out. This cracked me up. There's a warning from Cali.
WARNING. This product can expose you to chemicals including Diisononyl Phthalate (“DINP”), which is known to the State of California to cause cancer.
Is there anything that Cali doesn't think will cause cancer?
I'm a materials buyer for Great Dane Trailers and we had to start posting the Prop 65 decals on every trailer. Apparently trailers now cause Cancer. Wondering it it also makes all the cargo cancerous........

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:45 am

I worked at a chemical company for 23 years making plastic additives, plasticizers, tackifiers, and thousands of different resin compounds. DINP is a plasticizer that probably makes the rubber/plastic on the handle of the wrench more pliable.

I'm no chemist, and I don't particularly like chemicals, but I learned a lot about the politics of how things get on these lists, and you probably would not be surprised to learn that the environmental branch of the government is about as sensible and efficient as the others.

I did a Google search, but I couldn't find out how many torque wrenches you'd have to eat to increase your risk of cancer.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers