TravLite Camper Set-Up

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

TravLite Camper Set-Up

Post by DenverWinger » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:23 pm

I've had a few members ask me how to set up the TravLite Camper, been long in responding but haven't had the setup pictures until now - we just got back from our first (and probably only) camping trip of the year. Been a busy year.

Found an advertisement for it in a Motorcycle Magazine...

American Motorcyclist Mag Oct '85
American Motorcyclist Mag Oct '85

We went to the National Forest west of Boulder. Pulled with the Jeep, poor 'Wing would never have make it down the 4WD forest road. Most of the gear in the Jeep, just bedding and lighter stuff loaded in camper, a lot of bouncing around on 4WD road.

Once you've figured out where you want your camper First step is to get it level. This is done with the four adjustable legs in each corner. Pretty much takes two people to set the legs. If you are just overnight camping (like traveling cross-country) we simply don't unhitch the trailer and skip setting the legs. Hitched to the bike the trailer is plenty stable without the legs.

With trailer tongue on the ground set the two rear legs where you think they ought to be, then pick up the trailer tongue so your assistant can set the legs by the tongue. You likely will find your legs aren't set quite right and need to lift the tongue again to re-fold those legs so you can re-adjust the ones by the door. After a little fanegling you'll get the legs right. Then I find some rocks to chock the wheel with - adds significantly to stability.

Now the cover comes off, revealing the tent and four cushions.

Uncovered, on Legs
Uncovered, on Legs

Remove the tent and cushions revealing the side boards which hinge outward revealing the table. There's two support legs on each sideboard which swing downward, you fit the ends of the legs onto the support pins on each corner.

Side Support leg base
Side Support leg base

Side Support Legs
Side Support Legs

Now we stand up the two center supports and attach the ends of the short angle braces to their bracket with a clevis pin. Then insert the U-shaped cross piece into the two upright supports. Slide it down all the way.

Center support
Center support

Pay attention to the two holes in the middle of the cross piece, you want them so they are on either side of the cross piece at a 45 degree angle downward.

Adjustable Bar holes
Adjustable Bar holes

Adjustable Bars (laying inside)
Adjustable Bars (laying inside)

If one hole is more or less straight down and the other pointing 90 degrees to the side, the cross piece is backward, remove, switch ends and re-install. Otherwise you'll find you have to do this after you have the tent on and discover the extension bars don't fit. Ask me how I know.

Next you find the peak of the tent and drape it over the center cross-piece. don't worry about the edges of the tent yet. Slide the cross piece upward with the tent until the lock pins on the ends of the cross piece snap into the holes on the ends of the upright supports. Then you fit the edges of the tent around the side boards.

Put Tent on
Put Tent on

The side boards have supports with removable center cross-piece similar to the main support. Slide the cross pieces out until the lock pins snap into place. then lift the supports into the tent "wings". Fit the ends of the two adjustable bars into the holes in the center of the "wing" supports and the holes in the middle of the main support. Extend both until snug. The geometry of this arrangement keeps the tent wings open and also puts downward pressure on the side boards, keeping the support legs on the corner pins.

Bars installed
Bars installed

Bars installed
Bars installed

<Continued next post>

Last edited by DenverWinger on Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

DenverWinger
Past rides

Continued: TravLite Camper Set-Up

Post by DenverWinger » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:31 pm

Now you can secure the bottom edges of the tent to the various hooks on the trailer and underside of the side-boards.

You may have noticed two sheets of 3/8" OSB, this is my own addition, cut out to fit the wing supports with clearance for the hinges. Acts like a headboard and footboard, and prevents you pushing stuff out of the sides of the tent in the middle of the night....

My Side Boards
My Side Boards

There's a cross-bar between the sides of the trailer "bucket" to support the table in the "Down" position. This can be removed with the table "Up" so you don't crack your shins on it.

Table Down
Table Down

Home-Sweet-Home
Home-Sweet-Home

Disassembly is the reverse of assembly, once disassembled the side boards hinge over on top of the table. Then the long cushions on the side boards, then the short cushions. I sandwitch my head and foot boards in between the large and small cushions. Then the folded tent goes on top of the cushions. Lastly the trailer cover.

There's no magic to folding the tent, we always fold it so the white vinyl is outside, but I doubt we've ever folded it the same way twice...

An Intex full-size air mattress from Walmart fits nicely inside, especially since the TravLite cushions leave a lot to be desired for sleeping....

Here's a few more photos so you can see how it goes together. You'll notice a bungee cord hanging from license plate, I hook this between the plate support and the door hinge to help keep the door closed. One time going to the mountains we had all the gear in the jeep, trailer was empty except for the two extendable support bars. We were setting up the camper and discovered we were missing one of the adjustable bars. Evidently on the rough road the door had popped open and a bar slid out. We retraced our route and found the missing bar still intact about 4 miles from the campsite!

I might add that the side boards and table assembly are very easily removed. The side boards held at the hinges by two cotter pins, and the table assembly by two bolts. With the four cotter pins pulled and the two bolts out, you have a basic empty open-top utility trailer.

All Parts stashed
All Parts stashed

All Stashed
All Stashed

Attachments

~Mark

jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)

Re: TravLite Camper Set-Up

Post by jbaviera » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Thanks for the setup photos, they should come in handy. I will say though, it looks like I might have a different model. the two side boards have fold-outs that wrap around the forward support to the peak, and there is an extension on the top and both sides ave the extensions as well.
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!

hwydoc2
Motorcycle: 2000 GL 1500 25th anniversary edition

Post by hwydoc2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:38 pm

No offence meant; that looks like a colossal PITA to set up and take back down, compared to the Time out Camper. Happy camping and trails.

Al in Kazoo

DenverWinger
Past rides

Post by DenverWinger » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:00 pm

Doubtless so, but if we get right to work it only takes about 15 mins.

Only gave $400 for the camper so I'm not complaining. There are much nicer, easier-to-setup ones out there, but they run a couple $K.

This one has done us right for almost 10 yrs now and I like the 20 CuFt of storage, and it pulls behind the bikes (both 1100 and 1500) very well.

Has kept us nice and dry in storms, one time (before we had the popup canopy) a storm was coming, we popped up the built-in dinette, brought the little propane barbeque and what we needed for dinner inside and with the window flaps down enough to keep good fresh air inside we grilled our steak and veggies and ate dinner inside while getting pelted with heavy rain and pea-size hail. Nice and dry, a great dinner, too! Then a couple movies on the laptop, what else you gonna do when it's stormy outside?

~Mark