GPS Intercom === Smartphone Intercom??

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
paulrmedina
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

GPS Intercom === Smartphone Intercom??

Post by paulrmedina » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:42 am

Has anyone ever thought about trying to integrate their smartphone into the intercom, so that you could access your phone's smart assistant (Google Assistant for Android, or Siri for Apple)? I thought I'd heard that the newest (2018+) GL1800 has this capability, but I have no way of triggering the response from the phone with my 2003. Would using our lovely administrator's intercom GPS plug-in mean that I could "speak" to my phone and trigger it to do things like "pause this song," or "next track" or "navigate me home" or even dare I say "hey google, text my wife, home in 20 minutes."

I currently use a bluetooth adapter to allow my phone to just live in my jacket (thinking ahead if I have a wreck, I want the phone ON me), but the adapters have their own limitations. I have a button on the dash that allows me to pause and skip tracks, but placing this in a pleasing manner doesn't come easy for me, so right now I have to lean forward to hit the buttons. The voice activation could be handy in a number of situations, like if I'm on a particularly exciting road, or in stop-n-go traffic.

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.

Re: GPS Intercom === Smartphone Intercom??

Post by 2003Cobra » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:59 am

I've been able to use my phone on any bike I ride for years. I use a Sena 20s Paired with my phone so all I do is tap a button on my helmet and Call Siri to make a call or text or what ever I need her to do. When I got my 2003 I wanted to run my music through the sound system on the bike so I got a J&M digital music player that plugs into the CD wiring. You can pair a phone with it but it is one directional so I took an old LG android phone I had laying around and loaded my music on it and paired it with the digital music player. This also allows me to use my music buttons on my left hand controls. Kind of a round about way of getting there but I still have my sportster so I can still just put my helmet on go for a ride on it and still listen to music or make a phone call,
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.

paulrmedina
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Post by paulrmedina » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:13 pm

See, I regularly use my CB radio to talk with my riding buddies, so I'm not sure how a Bluetooth helmet factors into all this. But I am looking to replace my helmet soon, so if there's a new option I didn't know about, I'm interested. But I do rarely, but sometimes have a passenger, and I like both the CB and intercom features that I currently have by using a wired connection in general. But if tech has a solution that will allow all, I'm listening. I just have never spent much time digging into the bluetooth stuff out there, and what it means that I would keep or give up.

2003Cobra

Post by 2003Cobra » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:36 pm

I'm assuming you are using the Honda CB. All you need to do is get the Sena freewire and pair it with the 20s or 30 as the second phone and you will be able to hear your phone and listen and talk on the CB. I understand it also works with the intercom but not very well. My wife has a Sena SMH10 on her helmet so we just use the Sena intercom. The Heritage didn't have all this fancy electronics so I went with Sena in order to have music, phone capabilities and intercom. I did have a J&M CB installed on the Heritage and used the SR10 to connect it to my 20s but the intercom was really bad on the J&M radio so that is why we got the wife an SMH10 plus if she wants to she can listen to her music and or use her phone to call or text. Hope this helps.

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:20 pm

"I use a Sena 20s Paired with my phone so all I do is tap a button on my helmet and Call Siri to make a call or text or what ever I need her to do."

I have a 20s paired to my android and I dont think I can do that. I can talk to sena with info as to music on or off, speed dial 1,2 or 3 and other things but I cant talk back to my phone through the 20s.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

2003Cobra

Post by 2003Cobra » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:38 pm

keithg64 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:20 pm
I have a 20s paired to my android and I dont think I can do that. I can talk to sena with info as to music on or off, speed dial 1,2 or 3 and other things but I cant talk back to my phone through the 20s.
My experience with an android phone and the Sena 20s it much like your's I could talk to Sena and have it do some things but the problem with using the phone is Sena could not unlock the phone from the lock screen. I messed with trying to get it to work for quite some time but finally gave up when I saw how easy my buddy did with his Iphone. I do have a friend who has a 2019 Tri-glide and uses his android to make and receive calls through his informant system.