Front end shimmy

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wd8eol
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Front end shimmy

Post by wd8eol » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:37 pm

Anyone know how I can stop my front end from shimming? I have a Goldwing 2000SE that I had tricked out. I have tried differ tires, etc. Any suggestion?

John Kovacs
wd8eol@gmail.com

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Front end shimmy

Post by CrystalPistol » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:23 pm

wd8eol wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:37 pm
Anyone know how I can stop my front end from shimming? I have a Goldwing 2000SE that I had tricked out. I have tried differ tires, etc. Any suggestion?

John Kovacs
wd8eol@gmail.com
"TRIKED" I guess.

On a bike, rear tire follows front and the bike is in balance so it stays upright as gravity pulls down … until you drop it or it falls off the stand. Rear tire follows front, it almost never "pulls" to one side (though it may hesitate as it scuffs trying to climb a higher pavement level such as in a repaving project).

With a trike, you tire contacts points are like a tripod. Your front tire generally goes the way you point it. Those rear tires, one on the right and one on the left, encounter things like RR tracks, pavement changes, even just grade changes, and the front wheel in the front forks has rake and trail. Basically, the trike is a lot like a three wheeled shopping cart, two fixed rear wheels and a single caster wheel in front with handle bars. If the rear wheels encounter any resistance , they pull the trike that way. If the left wheel suddenly encounters a slight resistance, it wants to slow and the caster you're holding onto tries to turn to the left. "Rake Kits" don't actually change the steering stems rake, they just angle the fork tubes to reduce trail to lessen the effect and to lighten the steering. You don't want to eliminate all trail.

Let me guess, it's most notable at low speeds.

My grandpa had a John Deere that had a single front wheel and a straight up / down steering stem axis, it didn't shimmy even in a field, but it would stay in a turn until you straightened it. It had no trail. Some trail is good for straight line stability, so we keep it on our trikes.

wd8eol
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by wd8eol » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:53 am

Thank you. I do not have a rake kit on the front end. So from what I understand from you is that it's normal to have the shimmy at low speeds and there is no fix? Thank you.

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike

Post by terryt » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:38 am

Check the fork oil and the tyre pressure not to low. you may also think about having a Avon cobra trike tyre fitted

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:18 am

wd8eol wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:53 am
Thank you. I do not have a rake kit on the front end. So from what I understand from you is that it's normal to have the shimmy at low speeds and there is no fix? Thank you.
Without a rake kit most trikes will have a low speed shimmy, mostly on deceleration. Comes in around 35 or 40mph.. If you notice this by easing up you grip or removing you hands from the bars, don't!
The cure is adding a rake kit with all balls tapered head bearings.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:06 pm

wd8eol wrote:
A rake kit (just reduces trail) will greatly reduce the shimmy as it is making that single caster I described somewhat shorter.
Zero trail would eliminate the shimmy in all likelihood, but it would also make for a dangerous control situation at speed with zero directional stability, so you don't want that.

If you don't have a rake kit, a 4.5 or 6 (my favorite) degree kit would reap huge rewards for you. Besides reducing shimmy, you'll find steering on long curvy rides to be less tiring, you'll virtually forget about that hard steering as you accelerate from a stop and turn left or right into traffic if in a hurry.
tfdeputydawg wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:18 am
wd8eol wrote:
Thank you. I do not etc
Without a rake kit most trikes will have a low speed shimmy, mostly on deceleration. Comes in around 35 or 40mph.. If you notice this by easing up you grip or removing you hands from the bars, don't!
The cure is adding a rake kit with all balls tapered head bearings.
Most rake kits come with new tapered roller stem bearings ...and they are OEM on 1500s as well.

It's the 1800s that come OEM with ball type stem bearings.
terryt wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:38 am
etcmay also think about having a Avon cobra trike tyre fitted
I think so.