78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Rant about wire and China trade problems

Post by virgilmobile » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:15 pm

I know this is off the motorcycle topic but it may affect many people.
Wire is my first subject.
I am a "upfitter" for state and other vehicles.
We order lots of different wire for my installs.One wire(actually a bonded red/black)spool was used to power a outside speaker (siren) and some lights.The wire is properly sized but failed within a year of service.Corrosion like I've never seen.

Wire turned to powder.
Wire turned to powder.

I found the problem..It wasn't mentioned on the sellers specs but only on the spool itself.

This stuff is not suitable for outdoor use...

My next issue is problems (I believe) caused by the China trade imbargo.Or what ever you want to call it.
I bought a couple of wifi/gsm alarm systems from Amazon..China product.Been in use for several months...works with a app on my phone too.
Untill a few weeks ago.All push notifications (wifi free) stopped.The alarm system works but I no longer get the alarm on my phone..The one thing I got it for.
I got a spare and set it up in a different location and it does not push notification to even another phone.
It seems the notification "free service" provided by the manufacture has been terminated with no other options.
Better check your stuff.
Then we get this notice...

Buttons fail??really??
Buttons fail??really??

Do the buttons fail or the "made in China" service fail???

By the way..My digital watchdog (China made/American software) has worked perfectly.I use it to "e-mail" me when the alarm goes off.
Instead of a actual e-mail address I put in my cell number @txt.att.net.
When it sends the e-mail it gets sent fast direct as a text message to my phone.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Rant about wire and China trade problems

Post by Rambozo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:52 am

That copper clad aluminum wire is showing up all over the place. Total garbage! Reminds me when house wiring flirted with AL wire for a time. Some corners you just can't cut.

Depending on a service that you don't control is always a risk. The company that did my last anti-theft tracker, folded up making the system pointless even though it had a local radio system. It still depended on control servers running to make it work. Didn't make that mistake again when I installed a bunch of home automation system. Overwrote the Chinese firmware with an open source alternative, and setup my own Pi control server with MQTT on the backend and whatever frontend suits me for total control. As a bonus I can customize everything to exactly what I want, and no marketing info sent off to who knows where.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Rant about wire and China trade problems

Post by virgilmobile » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:24 am

Whew....Somebody that actually had a grasp on this stuff.
I was beginning to think I was just one of the few.
Nobody around here has a clue.