dresser to naked conversion

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
nk1812
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate

dresser to naked conversion

Post by nk1812 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:03 pm

picked up two 83 gl1100s an aspencade and interstate. the aspen is going to be a donor to the interstate, and based on the parts i have and not wanting to invest a lot of money into this build. They both were full dressers, minus the front fairings for both. is it possible to mount a headlight where the counter balance weight is and not have issue down the road with ride-ability? plus not being too sure if i can use the gauges on the aspen on the other due to there not being any dash cluster for the int. open for any and all ideas for aftermarket speedo and conversion.

I'd appreciate the input

Joneszy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade Stripped
1999 Valkerie CT
1978 Gl1000 project bike

Re: dresser to naked conversion

Post by Joneszy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:01 am

You are going to need among other things headlight ears, headlight bucket, front and rear turn signals, the fuel pump/tach drive from the aspencade,speedo cable , digital sender and top triple tree plate and ignition switch etc. I went the other way and stripped my 83 aspencade wanting it to look like a naked gl1100 so I put analogue gauges on from an 82 aspencade as I wanted to get rid of the digital dash. Not sure the wiring harness on an interstate will support some functions of the dash such as gear indicator, temp gauge and others. For instance the 83 aspy has a two wire temperature sender while the interstate is one wire. You may have to swap out the whole wiring harness to support the digital dash. I don't think it is worth it IMHO. I think if I was in the same situation I would start shopping for parts to make my bike into a 1983 standard or a custom of some sort. My stripping the 83 aspencade is on the NGWclub.com site here:
https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=64791
Read through it as it will give you some idea of the problems you might face even though it is a bit bassackwards from what you are thinking of doing.
Have fun and let us know how your project goes

nk1812
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate

Re: dresser to naked conversion

Post by nk1812 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:24 pm

thank you for the input.
that's why I wasn't too sure if it be worth trying to make it work on the interstate. i was heavily considering aftermarket speedo/ gps unit instead. Was trying to be as thrifty as possible for the build. But if it makes it less of a hassle down the way I don't have an issue with putting more coin into it. I know I'm probably going to redo the whole front end since the hand controls are shot and find something either OEM or possible better aftermarket part.