94 GL1500 fuel pump replacement


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
RickR
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:31 am
Location: Piqua, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1994 1500 Goldwing Aspencade, 1984 GL 1200 Interstate, 1984 gl 1200 inerstate (sold), 1982 GL 1100I, 1982 GL 1100I.

94 GL1500 fuel pump replacement

Post by RickR » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:35 am



Greetings Fellow Riders.
ok hear's my Issue. I own a 1994 gl1500 aspencade. Im pretty sure the fuel pump died on it.
was driving along started to loose power coasted some with it sputtering. an then stopped. it will not restart. an doesn't smell like i am flooding the cards.
Cranks over fine, an I have spark.
i have fuel as well.

Now ive done allot of research an found the NAPA P72190 is the best replacement for this. if I dont\'t wanna spend 200.00 or more.
well most of those posts were done in 2014. an I can not find a part number listed for that fuel pump.

is it under another one or is there another pump i can use thats not 200.00.

Thank You



User avatar
754
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:08 am
Location: Clermont Ga
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Interstate

1978 CB750 Supersport

Re: 94 GL1500 fuel pump replacement

Post by 754 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 am

If you search you will notice that I have posted several threads on this subject. I have not had the greatest luck with aftermarket fuel pumps. I have personally gone through several pumps which were all built by Carter. I had one Carter pump last a few months, but the rest only lasted days or weeks and all were installed properly with proper hose and a brass 90 degree fitting. After all the problems with the carter pumps I decided to go with an Airtex pump and have had no problems with it at all. I have been running it for 6 months or so and it never misses a beat. I got it from Amazon and it was not expensive just search Airtex part number E8371 it is $30 and free shipping with Prime. I'm not sure what is up with the quality issues at Carter but, I'm not using their pumps again any time soon. The filter for the pump is also available from Amazon for around $5.

I hope this helps out.

Travis
1992 Goldwing Gl1500 Interstate

1978 CB750 Supersport

digr
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:01 am
Location: Duluth MN
Motorcycle: 1983 gl 1100A
1993 gl 1500A

Re: 94 GL1500 fuel pump replacement

Post by digr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:33 pm

754 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 am
If you search you will notice that I have posted several threads on this subject. I have not had the greatest luck with aftermarket fuel pumps. I have personally gone through several pumps which were all built by Carter. I had one Carter pump last a few months, but the rest only lasted days or weeks and all were installed properly with proper hose and a brass 90 degree fitting. After all the problems with the carter pumps I decided to go with an Airtex pump and have had no problems with it at all. I have been running it for 6 months or so and it never misses a beat. I got it from Amazon and it was not expensive just search Airtex part number E8371 it is $30 and free shipping with Prime. I'm not sure what is up with the quality issues at Carter but, I'm not using their pumps again any time soon. The filter for the pump is also available from Amazon for around $5.

I hope this helps out.

Travis
For that price wouldn't it be a good idea to carry one for a spare for my 93 1500? How are they installed?

User avatar
754
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:08 am
Location: Clermont Ga
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Interstate

1978 CB750 Supersport

Re: 94 GL1500 fuel pump replacement

Post by 754 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:54 pm

I wish I had pictures, it would make things a lot easier. Once you take the pump assembly out of the tank you cut the wires to the old pump, then remove the pump from the clamp. Put the new pump in the supplied rubber isolator, then put it back in the clamp (don't tighten completely). You will need about a foot of 3/8 rubber pressure rated fuel line (the kind that can be submerged), you will need one short piece from the pump to a brass barb 90 degree fitting (to ease the transition going up), then you will need a longer section to go from the fitting to the outlet on the pump assembly. Crimp on the supplied new ring terminals and connect positive to positive and negative to negative. Then tighten the clamp. At this time you can also put the screen on the pump too. These aftermarket pumps don't use the the vent line like the factory pump did, it won't matter. The put the assembly back in the tank and roll on. It's a pretty simple installation. I'm sure a google image search will give you a picture.
1992 Goldwing Gl1500 Interstate

1978 CB750 Supersport

User avatar
bluthundr31
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:43 pm
Location: Morgan Hill, CA.
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: 94 GL1500 fuel pump replacement

Post by bluthundr31 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:48 pm

I replaced an OEM fuel pump a couple years ago using the NAPA/Carter pump and its still working great, , ,I will NOT discredit member-754's comments, ,merely state that unless the Carter pump quality control has fallen drastically in the last couple of years, ,it worked fantastic for me. The NAPA/Carter pump is an #P72190 and the "companion" strainer is an #STS-8 (IIRC).

Check out this thread to shed some light on the install;
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... l_pump.htm
Last edited by bluthundr31 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ct1500
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Glastonbury,CT
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Contact:

Re: 94 GL1500 fuel pump replacement

Post by ct1500 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:03 pm

RickR wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:35 am
Greetings Fellow Riders.
ok hear's my Issue. I own a 1994 gl1500 aspencade. Im pretty sure the fuel pump died on it.
i have fuel as well. Thank You
First verify the pump is indeed defective before replacing :idea: parts. Apply 12V to forward most insulated terminal on fuel pump cover and check for flow on removed hose to filter.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

User avatar
hugger-4641
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 1:07 pm
Location: McKenzie, TN
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Re: 94 GL1500 fuel pump replacement

Post by hugger-4641 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:10 pm

ct1500 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:03 pm
RickR wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:35 am
Greetings Fellow Riders.
ok hear's my Issue. I own a 1994 gl1500 aspencade. Im pretty sure the fuel pump died on it.
i have fuel as well. Thank You
First verify the pump is indeed defective before replacing :idea: parts. Apply 12V to forward most insulated terminal on fuel pump cover and check for flow on removed hose to filter.
#1. When you do the test described above, make sure you run the discharge hose from the pump into a safe container in a well ventilated area so we don't have to find out tht you blew up your shop when a spark from your 12v supply ignited the gas fumes.

#2. A simple visual test will not be enough. My fuel pump went out earlier this year and when I tested it as described above, it would still pump fuel briefly and "appeared" to have good flow, but it wasn't. After allowing it to run for a few seconds into a jar, the flow was greatly reduced to the point I knew it wasn't enough. Sometimes pumps will still move some fuel when not under any pressure, but fail to pump when actually installed.

#3. You also need to make sure that 12v is getting to the pump when you start the bike. The pump does not receive voltage just from the key being turned on, you have to engage the starter or have the engine running.
8-)

User avatar
754
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:08 am
Location: Clermont Ga
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Interstate

1978 CB750 Supersport

Re: 94 GL1500 fuel pump replacement

Post by 754 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:30 pm

Ideally the shop manual says to use a graduated cylinder to actually measure the output. You have to be careful because, your pump may still put out the right volume but not not sufficient pressure. That was what got me when the original pump went bad, volume was right but it did not have enough pressure to get up to the carbs. I scratched my head for days over that, before I figured it out.


1992 Goldwing Gl1500 Interstate

1978 CB750 Supersport

Post Reply