Funny noises after carburetor reinstallation

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
shevik
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Funny noises after carburetor reinstallation

Post by shevik » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:10 am

Hello again Goldwingers!

I'm at it again with my carburetor saga. So I reinstalled it tonight after taking a lot of time to get it cleaned up and bench synced (with the help of this community, for which I am incredibly thankful and looking forward to the day when I have more answers than questions)

When I started the bike up for the first time tonight it just didn't sound right. I've included a link to a video of the noises in question, any insight into what I might have done wrong would be much appreciated.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

If I just work hard enough I should be able to get her out and about before riding season is over.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Funny noises after carburetor reinstallation

Post by Rambozo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:03 am

Are all cylinders firing? Check the head pipes for equal heat.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:00 am

Adjusted the valves?
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:32 am

Sounds like something is touching a spinning object, like the Water pump impeller. Or might you have accidentally dropped a nut or washer into the open intake port while the carbs were off?

Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:27 am

+1 on the dropped something down the intake port ?? If you didn't maybe the PO did while messing with the single carb conversion. Or maybe +1 on the valve adjust.
Did the bike ever run while in your possession? Did it run well enough to even let you notice the ticking sound, especially if you were unfamiliar with the bike at the time? Another possibility is a timing belt off a couple notches. Valves might touch the piston, but not yet be catastrophic.
Can you crank it over by hand (remove cap over the stator axle at the left rear of the engine, and insert wrench). See if you can feel an interference, or hear the tick, to help identify location. Remove the plugs to permit easy, smooth rotation.

shevik

Post by shevik » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:37 pm

A small washer I believe is an outside possibility but a possibility nonetheless. I kept the valves pretty well plugged while the bike was sitting, but it could have happened while I was putting the carb back on.

The bike never made the chattering noise with the single carb on when I could get the thing to maintain an idle, it did run though. I drove it home when I bought it.

What are the chances that the noise could be happening because of improperly adjusted jets? I reviewed the guide I was using and came to the conclusion that I may have closed the idle jets on accident.

The only other work I've done to the bike is flushed the radiator (distilled water inside right now, can't complete the job until the bike maintains a healthy idle), changed orings on the thermostat pipes, and changed the handle bars.
If I just work hard enough I should be able to get her out and about before riding season is over.

shevik

Post by shevik » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:47 pm

Furthermore, what kind of nightmare am I looking at if I dropped something down a valve :|

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Post by Overdog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:09 pm

I did exactly that///dropped a screw from one of the intake clamps. It made a few loud snapping sounds...then got under the valve. Bent valve, cracked valve guide and $200 for the machine shop to rebuild the head.

Overdog

Post by Overdog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Easy enough to check...just pull and replace the intake tubes one at a time...no need to pull the carbs.

shevik

Post by shevik » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:21 pm

I'll be able to see just by shining a light down each cylinder?

Overdog

Post by Overdog » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:32 am

Yes and no.... the intake clamp screw that I dropped wouldn't make it all the way past the valve...a small washer might make it all the way into the cylinder

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:00 am

Just listened to the video again and I'm thinking what OldguyGlen mentioned is a distinct possibility - check the cam timing and, if you haven't already, put two new belts on.
Maz

shevik

Post by shevik » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:16 pm

It seems unlikely to me that something would have happened to one of the belts in the two weeks or so it sat without carbs on it, but I suppose anything is possible!

My next step when I have a day off is to pull the carbs again, double check my work with the jets even though I don't know if improperly adjusted jets could produce a chattering like that, and to check for a lost washer with my trusty endoscope.

I'm getting so used to pulling the carbs off this thing that I think I'll make a how-to guide for the forum. :D

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:51 pm

just want to check the easy stuff first.... are you sure that the plug wires are correct? not swapped on one side ???

shevik

Post by shevik » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:35 pm

This easily could have happened. Can you explain to me what kind of effect it would have?

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:39 am

shevik wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:16 pm
It seems unlikely to me that something would have happened to one of the belts in the two weeks or so it sat without carbs on it, but I suppose anything is possible!

My next step when I have a day off is to pull the carbs again, double check my work with the jets even though I don't know if improperly adjusted jets could produce a chattering like that, and to check for a lost washer with my trusty endoscope.

I'm getting so used to pulling the carbs off this thing that I think I'll make a how-to guide for the forum. :D
I know it's unlikely, but it's possible - If the belts are slack/old, it's very possible that they may jump a tooth or more whilst cranking the engine over to start it. You want to check the simple things first?...well checking cam timing is one of them.
Maz

shevik

Post by shevik » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Maz wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:39 am
shevik wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:16 pm

I know it's unlikely, but it's possible - If the belts are slack/old, it's very possible that they may jump a tooth or more whilst cranking the engine over to start it. You want to check the simple things first?...well checking cam timing is one of them.
Maz
Yeah you're right Maz. Thanks for talking some sense into me. It did take a while to turn the engine over because the carbs were dry when I put them on. If they're old belts that's when it would have happened.

I'll hopefully have an answer for all of you on Tuesday next week. I have a couple days off in a row and a bag of tools. I've been itching to take a look all week! :D

shevik

Post by shevik » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:14 pm

So I took a look at it tonight when I got off work, I've taken the carb off and I'll be doing some adjustments before I replace the belts.

I took a look down into the intakes to look for a stray washer and wan't sure what to make of what I was looking at. Could someone tell me if I've got a problem here?

It looks like the valves on the bike are absolutely filthy. I'm even wondering if the chattering noise could be from an improperly adjusted valve clearance.

I just really dont know what I'm looking at!

Thanks for all of the help guys.
Attachments

Last edited by shevik on Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:26 pm

2nd and 3rd photos look like there's something foreign in there - piece of wire? 2nd photo almost looks like a bent cotter pin...

And what's the liquid in the 2nd and 3rd photos? I bet it's gasoline... You may have flooding carbs. Doubt the liquid came from the cylinders, they'd have to be almost full to reach the intake valves, and the liquid is not coolant-colored.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

shevik

Post by shevik » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:49 pm

DenverWinger wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:26 pm
2nd and 3rd photos look like there's something foreign in there - piece of wire? 2nd photo almost looks like a bent cotter pin...

And what's the liquid in the 2nd and 3rd photos? I bet it's gasoline... You may have flooding carbs. Doubt the liquid came from the cylinders, they'd have to be almost full to reach the intake valves, and the liquid is not coolant-colored.
It's gasoline alright, it looks pretty mucky though. Maybe from sitting in all of that crud on the valves? There's no wire inside, I don't think so anyways. I believe it's just glare from the flash on the photos.

Oh boy what kind of project am I looking at here :cry:

shevik

Post by shevik » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:37 am

I've just discovered too that my bike sounds an awful lot like this guy's does viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10333

I checked my slow jets though and they're not clogged. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the carb I'm working with was rebuilt with a randakks.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:14 am

To be leaving puddles of gasoline in the intake ports, the carbs are having issues, most likely with the float needles/seats which AREN'T included in a Randakk kit. If it leaked much more fuel than that into the intake ports you can wind up with a hydrolocked engine and have to remove sparkplugs to get the excess fuel out before the engine will turn over.

You'll want to clean those up nice, check particularly the needle valve on the float end, there's a little spring-loaded "button" which needs to move freely. Also check the floats themselves, put them in a jar of gasoline overnight and make sure none of them "sink" instead of "float".

If you are satisfied the rest of the carburetor rebuild is OK then proceed to setting the float height.

I don't have the float height spec for the 1100 handy but many people stand the carb rack on edge and tip it so that the float tab just barely contacts the little spring-loaded button in the needle valve. Don't set the float height where the button in the needle is compressed. Height is adjusted by bending the tab which contacts the needle valve.

Should be some "how-to" threads in the reference section for more carburetor detail.

I listened to the video, sounds to me like it was only running on three cylinders, once the carburetor issues are sorted out it will probably run much better and the "funny noises" will be gone.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Post by Old Fogey » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Float height is 15mm from edge of float bowl to top of float with the float tang just touching the float needle plunger.
'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

( Seriously, you haven't read all 115 pages of my http://www.wingovations.com website ?? :shock: )

shevik

Post by shevik » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Old Fogey wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:57 pm
Float height is 15mm from edge of float bowl to top of float with the float tang just touching the float needle plunger.
Wait, I thought it was 15.5 for an 82 gl1100I, nice website btw.

shevik

Post by shevik » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:47 pm

DenverWinger wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:14 am
To be leaving puddles of gasoline in the intake ports, the carbs are having issues, most likely with the float needles/seats which AREN'T included in a Randakk kit. If it leaked much more fuel than that into the intake ports you can wind up with a hydrolocked engine and have to remove sparkplugs to get the excess fuel out before the engine will turn over.

You'll want to clean those up nice, check particularly the needle valve on the float end, there's a little spring-loaded "button" which needs to move freely. Also check the floats themselves, put them in a jar of gasoline overnight and make sure none of them "sink" instead of "float".

If you are satisfied the rest of the carburetor rebuild is OK then proceed to setting the float height.

I don't have the float height spec for the 1100 handy but many people stand the carb rack on edge and tip it so that the float tab just barely contacts the little spring-loaded button in the needle valve. Don't set the float height where the button in the needle is compressed. Height is adjusted by bending the tab which contacts the needle valve.

Should be some "how-to" threads in the reference section for more carburetor detail.

I listened to the video, sounds to me like it was only running on three cylinders, once the carburetor issues are sorted out it will probably run much better and the "funny noises" will be gone.
Thanks Mark, adjsuting the floats was the last thing I did before I put the carbs back together and it's likely that I did a less than ideal job on them. I'm going to check them now.

I'm also going to check my spark plugs and make sure they're all igniting. I tried to be careful not to burn them out when I'd get the bike started from cold but anything is possible.

I'll have updates later today, thanks guys!