Pellets for ABS repairs

Technical information and Q&A applicable to all years and models of Goldwings
  • Sponsored Links
Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Pellets for ABS repairs

Post by Corkster52 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:19 am

I am curious more than anything, since I continue to find (or create) more ABS cracks/holes than I ever thought I would. has anyone used ABS pellets (along with ABS glue) for gouged out cracks in their fairing?

Something like these https://www.google.com/search?q=ABS+bla ... ZFuECRoYM:

Last edited by Corkster52 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Pellets for ABS repairs

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:26 am

I've used these ABS pellets and ABS cement/MEK to make slurry - the smaller the better (you want lots of surface area, so they melt quickly). I then use that to do any fill/repairs I'm working on. It works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Polly-Plastics-P ... B01MYFNGIL

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Thanks Scott. I've got them ordered. I was going to make shavings as you have mentioned making and using in the past, but I was hoping there was a less time-consuming way. I still wish there was a way to make the final ABS surface smoother. I don't remember it having all the bubbles years ago when we were sharing back and forth. I'm assuming that it's from the MEK vaporizing. Do you have the same issues?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Corkster52 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:12 pm
Thanks Scott. I've got them ordered. I was going to make shavings as you have mentioned making and using in the past, but I was hoping there was a less time-consuming way. I still wish there was a way to make the final ABS surface smoother. I don't remember it having all the bubbles years ago when we were sharing back and forth. I'm assuming that it's from the MEK vaporizing. Do you have the same issues?
I've never had an issue with bubbles. I always would just put a big drill bit in my drill press and drill holes in flattened ABS pipe. The bits of drilled out plastic are very thin and melt very quickly.

I use Oatey ABS glue, and add a bit of MEK to thin it out slightly. I start with the shavings in a jar, add the glue, stir, and then add more glue or shavings as needed to get the required consistency.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:02 pm

Another handy source is you can use bits of ABS filament from your 3D printer. Some even have carbon fiber reinforcement pre-blended in.

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:36 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:33 pm

I've never had an issue with bubbles. I always would just put a big drill bit in my drill press and drill holes in flattened ABS pipe. The bits of drilled out plastic are very thin and melt very quickly.
Hmmm...no problem with bubbles. I'm wondering if something has gone bad with my Oatey glue. I have like 3 cans around. I just add some MEK when it starts to get lumpy. I think you did make mention some time ago about shaking it will make bubbles, but I only stir mine.

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:53 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:33 pm
I've never had an issue with bubbles.

Here is what I am talking about.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/26489152@ ... en-public/

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Took my Dremel and ground them all out again, but am reluctant to put more ABS glue back in until I find out what the heck is going on. I did receive the tiny ABS pellets yesterday.

extremeodd
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1200 Aspencade purchased for $150

Post by extremeodd » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:21 am

I would be careful with those 'abs' pellets as they are likely not ABS or are a blend of plastics.

ABS requires about 221f to reach its glass transition point where it goes from a relatively brittle "glassy" state to a more rubbery state. Whereas those pellets hit their transition point around 150f and once in that state will maintain it into the low 100s.

The biggest selling point of those 'polymorph' plastics is that you can simply put them in hot water to create a soft, workable plastic putty that will harden once cool and is infinitely reusable. One huge downside is the really low melting temperature, there are many places on a motorcycle that will occasionally experience temperatures in that range.

You can get a larger tub of the base plastic those black pellets are meant to be used with at the link below. That little bag of black pellets is enough to dye most if not all of this tub.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1HWJQI/?tag=goldwingdocs-20
Sorry to nerd out, just got a GW yesterday and just after making an account I saw this thread. Figured I could chime in as I've worked with this polymorph stuff more than any reasonable person should.
Last edited by extremeodd on Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:13 am

extremeodd wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:21 am
I would be careful with those 'abs' pellets as they are likely not ABS or are a blend of plastics.
Very interesting, but if it will bond to the ABS trunk material, and get rid of the bubbling issue I am having, I'm willing to use it. I went to the polyplastics.com website and, without becoming a member, I can't drill down to the exact composition of the stuff I received. Will the Polyshape Polymorph hand moldable plastic 16oz tub [plastimake, thermoplastic] that is referenced in the link you attached make a strong bond to ABS?

I have picked WingAdmin's brain over the years as I have worked more than I really should have had to in making ABS repairs on my bikes and his recommendations, which I am sure has been after many successful applications, have worked every time.

I also went to Oatey's website and sent them an email describing what might be going on with my most recent failures at repairing cracks.

I also kept looking and I wonder if this stuff might do the trick? https://www.techkits.com/products/resin-absblk/

extremeodd

Post by extremeodd » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:00 pm

I've never tried to use it in a slurry but if the fairings on the 85 'wings are ABS, I'll test on mine real quick to see if the basic 'molten' form of this polymorph will adhere to it. If wingadmin has had luck using an MEK slurry, I'd stick with that technique as it probably allows the plastic you are it applying to to melt some which would allow for excellent adhesion.

I know whatever the black plastic that my bicycle seat is made out of has no luck with having the polymorph adhere to it even after melting both surfaces beforehand with heat. I'll update this post in 5-10 mins after a quick test.

EDIT: On my 85, there are 2 holes that were drilled to the right of the right pocket. The black plastic (probably abs?). I melted some of the polymorph to a sillyputty consistency and with the ABS cold, there was no adhesion whatsoever. However, when I took my propane torch (heat gun would be better) and on a low setting I flashed it across the hole a couple times to make the surface molten and when I pressed then smeared the glob across (like I was using a wood filler pencil) the polymorph stuck like crazy to the molten spot. Before it cooled I half-assed used my finger to mostly smooth out the surface then I grabbed an icecube to finish hardening everything quickly. After it was cold and hard, I was unable to get ANY of the polymorph to budge and no bubbling appeared because nothing had to evaporate.

When you do this you have several mins to adjust how the polymorph looks and later on you can always heat it up with a lighter or a heat gun to readjust, press a textured pattern into it, etc.
Last edited by extremeodd on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:03 pm

Maybe we are not talking apples and apples. For the glue I am using, to completely harden, it
takes up to 24 hours.

extremeodd

Post by extremeodd » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:16 pm

I've edited my previous post with my findings.

I'm not talking about any kind of adhesive or solvents, I was simply talking only about the pellets you purchased and the product they are intended to be melted into which is a low temperature meltable plastic.

After a quick test, I'd be willing to use the polymorph in it's standard 'molten' state (heated above 150f) to repair any cracks/small holes in the fairing since if you melt the abs you are trying to repair (quick flash of the torch) it adheres extremely well. It also remains somewhat flexible (never soft, but it will never shatter) which would help with any stress crack prone areas in my opinion.

Any large gaps over 1in I wouldn't trust it as if it EVER experiences heat over 150f, it will soften and shift. With small holes and cracks that shouldn't be an issue but if it's spanning any form of a gap there is chance of it sagging when heated. Considering you can repair, sand, and paint within 10-20 mins if you use some ice to speed up the cooling process, it's kind of a neat product.

With that said, it's properties probably change somewhat when melted into a MEK slurry with ABS added and anything I've said isn't valid in that situation.