Modulator Question

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Bentrider
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Commodore Blue

Modulator Question

Post by Bentrider » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:51 pm

I have been running a headlight modulator for about ten years now and I consider it indispensable. I think it contributes more to my personal safety than any other piece of equipment I own. That, however, is my opinion wjthout a single fact to back it up. Does any such data exist? I live in Michigan and I don't think I see more than 2 or 3 bikes with modulators all year. What's it like where you live? Is Michigan the exception?

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Modulator Question

Post by Rambozo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:30 pm

I see very few in my area. In the past I have used them and I think they made a lot more difference than today. With all the cars having daytime running lights, bright HID and LED lights and the like, I think it all becomes background noise to most drivers. The thing to do is be different to get attention and while light modulators used to do that, I think maybe something more unique is now called for. I have been seeing a lot of strobes behind marker lights on various work vehicles and cops, so maybe that is the answer until that gets overused, too. One thing I do notice all the time is I see a lot of ex-cop Honda ST1300s and every car seems to take notice of them. At one bike night event I saw a nice GL1800 painted up black and white, to look like a cop bike.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:34 pm

https://one.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/ped ... e/toc.html
https://msf-usa.org/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4771245/

I am surprised when I see another motorcycle with one. Very infrequent.

There really has not been a study on the effects (positive and negative) of headlight modulators. MSF had not taken a stand either way even though they recommend use of high beams during the day and pumping brake lights when stopping/stopped.

Those that have used them will report "they know" that a car did or didn't do something strictly because of the modulator but also report that sometimes a driver seemed confused. The naysayers point to that as a negative in we should not be doing things to further confuse or annoy the zombie drivers. Other naysayers say they don't like riding with a modulated headlight in their mirrors yet they use brake light flashers because that's okay.

I DO NOT consider one as my most important safety feature. it is another tool in my box.

I do not use it for the purpose of annoying or agitating other drivers but there is always someone who doesn't like something that I am doing (following speed limits, stopping for red lights, etc.). If all cage drivers were also motorcyclists I would trust them more. I don't worry about "us" violating each other's personal space. But given the large number of cagers I encounter who are just self absorbed zombies with either ignorance or arrogance of any one else. I want to be equipped with as many tools as I can afford. No matter how good we are at defensive and aware operation, armor, helmets, bright colors, extra lights, loud pipes, louder horns there will always be that one cage operator that just intends to occupy the same point in space at the same time as I.
DARKSIDE #1500
2018 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:19 pm

I have had a Modulator on two of my 1500s.

In each case, I did notice that side road traffic, and on coming "left turners" seem to be more aware of me on the bike.

I always put the Modulator on the High Beams, and they run ON all the time in Daylight hours if the bike is running.

On my current 1800, I have HID lights on the Low Beams, controlled by the Oil Pressure. e.g., if the engine is running, they are ON. This allows me to run the High Beams ON at the same time, which I do all the time. This seems to work at least as well as the Modulator.

Again, all conjecture on my experience over the last 3 years and many 1,000s of mile of Interstates and lousy county roads.

IF the HIDs ever burn out, they will get the current BEST possible "look ahead" light available at the time.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing TriKing Trike

Post by JohnUSA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:31 pm

I installed a modulator about a month ago. Marked increase in side traffic watching me.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:02 pm

I try to never rely on anyone seeing me. I figure half the people don't see me at all, and the other half are actively trying to hit me.
Now maybe if I was towing one of these, things would be different.

1goldwingnut
Motorcycle: 95 20th anniversary gl1500

Post by 1goldwingnut » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:54 am

I see very few in central Wisconsin. I had one on my other wing since they were first allowed. The other day I overheard a twin rider say he thought they were real atttention getters but he thought they were illegal now. I set him straight and he said he would have to look at getting
one now.

Bentrider

Post by Bentrider » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:50 am

Rambozo wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:02 pm
I try to never rely on anyone seeing me. I figure half the people don't see me at all, and the other half are actively trying to hit me.
Now maybe if I was towing one of these, things would be different.

Wow!! That would make a great alarm clock for my wife. But after she woke up, she'd complain about the exhaust smell.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:54 pm

I don't see a lot of them around here. I've had them on my Goldwings for many, many years. After I saw a change in driver behavior (it becomes apparent that they are noticing you), I decided I would always have one on my bike.

Once in a while, I will think; "wow, the drivers are really especially boneheaded today" when they repeatedly don't see me or cut me off or whatever. More than a few times, after thinking this, I realized that my modulator was turned off because I had been riding at night (and I switch to high beams to turn them on in the daytime) and had the high beams turned off. It's happened enough times now that it's made me realize that having the modulator does in fact have a positive effect on zombie drivers.

Bentrider

Post by Bentrider » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:57 am

The one thing these posts have in common is that motorcycles with modulators seem to be somewhat rare. I guess that's a good thing. It makes a modulated bike stand out in traffic. It makes drivers stop and wait when they see you coming. It gives them that "What the hell is that?" moment. Works for me.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:46 pm

Bentrider wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:57 am
The one thing these posts have in common is that motorcycles with modulators seem to be somewhat rare. I guess that's a good thing. It makes a modulated bike stand out in traffic. It makes drivers stop and wait when they see you coming. It gives them that "What the hell is that?" moment. Works for me.
When I see an approaching car coming up in the "left turn lane", I start flipping my High Beams on/off simply because I don't have a Modulator on the high beams now.

the HID lights on the low beam get a lot of attention, but, with all the new cars now having those super bright headlights, it is not as good for me as it used to be.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing TriKing Trike

Post by JohnUSA » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:40 pm

My sense of it is that cagers mistake the modulator for an emergency vehicle, and they try to figure out what is coming towards them.