Installing the DMC MP3 player model 9088

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Ray Johnson
Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800 with EML trike conversion

Installing the DMC MP3 player model 9088

Post by Ray Johnson » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi..... UK rider here. I had been browsing all areas for information regarding this MP3 player before finally biting the bullet and going ahead with purchase from China. It is much cheaper than the J&M unit AND at least it is CURRENTLY available. I should say at this point that I was replacing the ever troublesome Honda CD Player so finding the connection under the seat was a breeze, that said It wasn't too difficult to find either. I didn't remove the actual CD Player because it kinda still worked ( temperamental ) because this DMC player fits easily underneath the player in the trunk compartment so I'm keeping it in the bike ( but obviously disconnected under the seat). Once the seat is removed you just need a little 30mm x 16mm cut-out in the rear face of the trunk to pass the cable through. I will state here that the initial connection of the cable & socket failed to power up the Mp3 player but I had already heard of someone having a similar issue so I bought a can of spray contact cleaner and sprayed into the bikes connection socket and BINGO powered on and operated via the original CD controls. I had used the 'Wingstuff' software to load up an SD Card AND a USB Flash drive with music files and they both played music successfully, I did notice something strange regarding the supposed recognition of the CD folders but at least it was playing music of GREAT QUALITY so once things have settled down I will investigate things a little further. All in All I don't think for the purchase price that there can too many grumbles when compared to the ever regular previous CD player jams/malfunctions.
If anyone wants to further discuss please contact me....Apologies if I've broken any rules or protocol this is my first Forum.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Installing the DMC MP3 player model 9088

Post by Viking » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:20 pm

More information as well as some pictures would not be unwelcome. Where you ordered and how much your costs were could be topics of welcome information. Being familiar with the J&M product, which I have on my GL1800, I would not be putting it under the CD player in the lower trunk. I had mine there and had to continually dig after it to reset it after hitting bumps on the highway. I finally just left it loose on the floor of the trunk so it is really easy and quick to reset. It never did work flawlessly, but it does work, and with quality speakers or ear buds, the music is real fine, but I am always on the lookout for a replacement for the one I have, as I do not expect it will live forever.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

bstig60
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800
2007 ST1300
1999 Virago XV1100LC (Sold 6/15/19)
Luggage Trailer, 2014 Home Made
1987 Honda TLR 200

Re: Installing the DMC MP3 player model 9088

Post by bstig60 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:00 am

Viking wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:20 pm
More information as well as some pictures would not be unwelcome. Where you ordered and how much your costs were could be topics of welcome information. Being familiar with the J&M product, which I have on my GL1800, I would not be putting it under the CD player in the lower trunk. I had mine there and had to continually dig after it to reset it after hitting bumps on the highway. I finally just left it loose on the floor of the trunk so it is really easy and quick to reset. It never did work flawlessly, but it does work, and with quality speakers or ear buds, the music is real fine, but I am always on the lookout for a replacement for the one I have, as I do not expect it will live forever.
Here is one on eBay. For the price, it must be a Chinese knockoff. But it is a direct replacement for the CD player. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0
Bill