Engine guards bent?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Re: Engine guards bent?

Post by Corkster52 »

Corkster52 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:21 am
That being the case, I guess I will just take one side off and if the dimensions are that far off I will return them.
Well, the right side fit fine with no issues, but on the left side, I can't get any 2 holes out of the 3 to line up. Guess I'll have to either punch the holes out larger or do some creative Dremel work :roll:

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Time to break out jacks and come-a-longs.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

Corkster52 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:44 pm
Well, the right side fit fine with no issues, but on the left side, I can't get any 2 holes out of the 3 to line up. Guess I'll have to either punch the holes out larger or do some creative Dremel work :roll:
Another "satisfied?" Saber Cycle customer?

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

Rambozo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:33 pm
Not exactly satisfied, but they will fit my purpose...for now. I definitely have more places and space to install my highway pegs and LED lights!

There was some chromed-over weld splatter on one of the welds. I had to drill out two of the three .362" holes to .390" to get the bolts in.

They are definitely the shiniest part of my old bike.

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

I, almost always, try to correct anything I find when I take things apart. Even though I didn't really have to, I took both of the heat shields off each side because they looked like there was some damage to the paint on the bottom edges. Boy was there :o On the front ones, basically, 3/4" of the bottom edge for 90% of its length was fried. So I sanded the damaged parts off and am putting paint back on those areas now. The adhesive-backed heat shields on the inside of each piece looked to be in good shape but I am wondering if I should put something additional there, like more of the same or any spray-on product?

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Corkster52 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:30 pm
Rambozo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:33 pm
There was some chromed-over weld splatter on one of the welds. I had to drill out two of the three .362" holes to .390" to get the bolts in.
Oh, they were that close huh?, 23/64ths to 25/64ths isn't a huge change. Weld spatter under chrome ? Even OEMs had that. Look good!

As a side note, last night I was downstairs gluing up some wood, looked up over TV to top shelf, they lay a like new pair of same guards I forgot about, guess they been there a dozen or so years, cleaned dust, etc off, one teensy weensy mark where someone had maybe clamped a horn mount. I thought about this thread, how did those guards come my way from a trike dealer as they don't get changed, then I guess some did go from older pre '98 up to later bikini guards after all? They look better than mine on the trike even as mine have both had horns and some clam shell foot brackets that put a couple little dents in under side of lower tube, but out of view. Those clam shell brackets sucked, one broke and let the floor board fall off trike in West Virginia while leading a group ride, caused a stir and some ribbing,

I like these newer sandwich style far better, way more secure.

Corkster52 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:16 am
I, almost always, try to correct anything I find when I take things apart. Even though I didn't really have to, I took both of the heat shields off each side because they looked like there was some damage to the paint on the bottom edges. Boy was there :o On the front ones, basically, 3/4" of the bottom edge for 90% of its length was fried. …….
Me too, if viable. Pretty normal for scorching to some degree, there's lots of enclosed heat there. Do you use a belly pan? If you are determined to take means to not have it happen again, maybe thin stainless steel sheet between header pipes & shields but just something else to rattle. I was gonna say header wrap but not so sure … I know some love it but it holds the heat in. If you vent the shields, they'll stay cooler but your feet might fry. Maybe air scoops at front, but it has those already, sort of?.

This picture shows the dimples (maybe next time I have tupper-wear off I'll swap guards out) under side of guards and some minor scorching of lowest part of that shield.

The rivets are 3/16" aluminum, I have some aluminum inside the cowl to reinforce mounting points. It was a replacement I got off Ebay after a piece of shale like rock was tipped up by the front tire one day, banged up the left side, but I got all the pieces in the right colors that night on Ebay. Rock was in a shadowy section of a ride.

Before & after repair pics. I mentioned Belly Pans …. I look at the before pic of damage, I wonder if I should?

Trike still has a good size dent in left side muffler. I was real lucky, didn't mess with shifter or header. I replaced the lower front cowl and both metal exhaust shield down left side. Like the shale rock tipped up and got rolled between the trike and the roadway. I never saw the rock but a buddy behind me did, we pulled over in wide spot, then I walked back and saw it.

Color match was perfect, lighting makes it look different. The front lower cowl had some very minute almost invisable hairline cracks near openings, I used the original one for pieces of ABS already formed to reinforce using ABS solvent glue after sanding paint off … I reused the busted up OEM that way. Solid now. Those little squares of aluminum pop riveted at cruise board pivots angle the boards towards me, just made more comfortable, they are actually pieces of thin angle.

That was just a stainless steel 5/16" nut I zip tied to unused side stand lug hanging loose, it was in part a gag aimed at a buddy and his HD which seemed to loose nuts on rides after we had to visit an Ace Hardware in West Virginia on a road trip to Ohio to replace some of his bike's shifter nuts. I used some nylock nuts & lock tite to fix his shifter linkage that day.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Yep, I'm gonna swap the better ones on now that I know I have them … again.

No need keeping them up on that shelf forever.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

So, on the heatshields, since the charred parts were on the bottom edges of each piece, I decided to try and repaint them. I had a heck of a time trying to get the paint to match the existing (after 3 coats) and decided to leave them as they are for now. I even tried a sample piece of ABS and put 2 coats of primer on and 4 coats of red color after let it set overnight, I don't see a big difference. The sample is the one that has the ViseGrip mark on it.

I also really hate all of the scratched that get on the lower cowl, so I glued on a piece of 1/16" ABS :D

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Corkster52 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:26 pm
I also really hate all of the scratched that get on the lower cowl, so I glued on a piece of 1/16" ABS :D
That'll do it. I thought they all had a piece of clear like thick tape there, like 3M paint protector stuff.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:35 pm
I thought they all had a piece of clear like thick tape there, like 3M paint protector stuff.
I think you are right, but some of them seem to wear off over time.

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

I just got notified that WingStuff now has them in stock. 20/20 hindsight, of course, but I guess I will have to see how the Saber ones go :roll: https://wingstuff.com/products/36698-en ... nda-gl1500

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Corkster52 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 am
I just got notified that WingStuff now has them in stock. 20/20 hindsight, of course, but I guess I will have to see how the Saber ones go :roll: https://wingstuff.com/products/36698-en ... nda-gl1500
You'll keep them waxed, likely never an issue with rust.

… & Have a Safe Trip!