Cardo Packtalk Bold Sena Freewire and transmit CB

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
troussos
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Cardo Packtalk Bold Sena Freewire and transmit CB

Post by troussos » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:29 am

Hi everyone. I ride a 98 SE.
Does ANYONE have success using the Cardo Packtalk Bold with the Sena Freewire to transmit on their CB?

I read several forums here and there where people posted success pairing and using the Packtalk Bold with the Sena Freewire, but most stop there. Once (I believe it was sometime in July of this year) I read someone had success transmitting on the CB, but it had to be paired a certain way. Since the I cannot relocate that post. I'm not sure it was this site or another or if it was a GL1500 or a GL1800. A friend who lives near Pittsburgh said to talk to CycleGear there, so I did and they said it could be done. I live closer to Cleveland, so I rode my bike to that CycleGear to try it all out with my bike and two handheld CB radios to confirm they all worked at the time of testing. First I confirmed my bike's CB/audio system was operating correctly in the wired configuration. We initially paired the Packtalk Bold with another headset to confirm the new Cardo Packtalk functioned correctly and then unpaired that connection to focus purely on my bike. Then we connected a Sena Freewire and paired it with the Cardo Packtalk Bold JBL. I heard my radio, music from my Garmin and CB receive audio, but the other CB radios could not hear me transmit my voice through the Packtalk. We paired every method suggested by CycleGear Pittsburgh and how Cardo listed pairing methods without success. Yet, Somewhere I read SOMEONE had succedded in making this work.

I don't have much more hair to pull out...

Yes, we did successfully transmit with a Sena 20 S, but it is very large without MESH and the 30S with MESH is even larger.
I'm sold on the Cardo because of its performance posted by other owners, my friend is riding with a Packtalk Bold and I'm told there are limitations and complications cross brand compatibility with headsets, but it seems only Sena has a working audio Bluetooth interface for Goldwing.

Oh...you're probably wondering WHY I want to maintain CB capability??? Well, there are still riders out there that are stilll using CB and it makes sense to include during a ride instead of exclude.

Assistance/advice to make this work ...OR a suitable alternative...is greatly appreciated!
Thank you.
Tony

Enjoy the day!

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Re: Cardo Packtalk Bold Sena Freewire and transmit CB

Post by kwthom » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:40 pm

I don't know...this is why I'm staying away from this crap - and I worked for almost 40 years in electronics engineering technologies!

I *think* the problem is, there's only two channels of audio that can be received by a headset.

So, one channel is your phone (which also gives the ability to do hands-free stuff [Siri, etc.]) and the other channel is 'receive only' (like a GPS, MP3 player...)

A *third* channel is needed to have an intercom...or two-way communication with the bike?

I read something about Bluetooth 4.0 or higher is required by the Freewire to enable two-way communication via CB, and that the Cardo Packtalk unit didn't yet support that.

:roll:
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

troussos

Post by troussos » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:08 pm

Well, as I understand it, units used to exist that would do the job. One example, Is the hands-free for cars before cars were equipped with Bluetooth. There also used to be ones made for motorcycles that had 3.5 mm ports. Those units automatically switched between transmit and receive to enable bi-directional phone call. Now, most units are just transmit or receive with a switch you must flick for the desired mode Because it's easier and cheaper than making unit that searches every 10 or 20 times every second. I guess they see most application now a days is for home use.

The Sena Freewire Automatically switches between transmit and receive about 10 times or so every second. I also believe it has encoded the transmit side for stereo audio and their helmet unit decodes their proprietary signal. Keep in mind I believe they are still using only two channels for the Bluetooth stream.

So, for none Sena models, it is a mono receive in the helmet And I think they've also encoded a block where your microphone audio will never reach the CB transmitter if your helmet device is not sending a proprietary Sena data stream. Keep in mind this is an educated guess based on conversations with Senna, Cardo and indepth investigations online and with other BT manufacturers.

By the way, a manufacturer would consider Solving this need if they knew there were ten thousand or more people interested in such a product. Unfortunately, many people don't say a word. They just look for the product and when they don't see it, they just move on.
Enjoy the day!

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:02 am

I use a 20s + Freewire. It works good but has limitations. :)
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:23 am

troussos wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:08 pm
By the way, a manufacturer would consider Solving this need if they knew there were ten thousand or more people interested in such a product. Unfortunately, many people don't say a word. They just look for the product and when they don't see it, they just move on.
The concern...so many combinations & permutations of setups makes it impossible to solve for a majority of use cases.

Add in the complexities of 'mesh', and things really get complicated. Much of the blame lies with the manufacturers.

Does the J&M system pull it off? For >$1300 to find out? Not worth it for me.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

troussos

Post by troussos » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:16 pm

Well, as far as I can tell...MESH is a non issue since Cardo PackTalk Bold would treat it like a cell phone or GPS.

Again, if the BT industry would set-up a stereo encoding/decoding standard for the one channel and use the other for audio/data stream the other direction (already in use - see car BT handsfree aftermarket units: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Cell ... 1438.l2649 ) Freewire does stereo, it's proprietary to Sena product only.

Hmmm... tens of thousands of GL1500 and GL1800's equipped with CB, thousands of Harley Davidson w/CB that rather use Cardo, a number of BMW motorcycles w/CB infotainment systems, Indian, and a host of other makes with CB or GMRS 2-way radio installed or added aftermarket/rigged... Cha-Chinggggggg!?

Maybe I'll just hack the $12 unit in the link above for input and output and use it to solve my desire...hmmm...maybe? It's not stereo, but what the hey?!

Enjoy the day!