Fuel Pump Inop??

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
ncamie
Motorcycle: Aspencade

Fuel Pump Inop??

Post by ncamie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:35 am

Hello all.

My 1984 GL1200 Aspencade has been down for the last six months and I've been slowly bringing it back from a cold death. The engine hasn't been run in about the same time. Last it died right after my relative dumped a can of Sea Foam in the fuel tank for no specific reason at all. The bike ran relatively fine until then. The next day she wouldn't fire up. Since then I've cleaned out the carbs and fuel system but haven't run the engine yet.

Geez I wish I could post a pic of the carbs; I have never seen such a green gunky crystalized foul looking and smelling set in my life!

One of the many other problems I'm running into now is the fuel pump doesn't seem to work. I understand the pump is supposed to "pulse" on demand using a signal from a fuel pump relay that I have yet to find.

What I know is that the pump doesn't work whatsoever, yet the electrical lead to it makes something like 6-8 volts; I couldn't hold the tester leads steadily enough to tell what the exact voltage was or if it was steady or pulsing. Maybe I should have 12 volts?? I don't know. I also removed the end cap off the fuel pump and cranked the engine over with it electrically connected and the pump points exposed for visual inspection. When I cranked the engine the points didn't show any signs of movement/ticking/noise or anything. Either way, Starting Fluid showed promise when I tried it so that eliminated ignition and air issues. Additionally, all spade-type fuses I could find are in good shape too.

So, is there a fuel pump relay in there somewhere? I looked around under the glove box/air cleaner area to no avail. The shop manual says it's there, but I'm dumbfounded to find it. I called a local dealer parts shop and they couldn't positively tell me one existed. Also, I understand there may be a fuel pump "cutoff" relay or something? If there is, what is its function vs the regular pump relay? Where is it located?

Thank you!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Fuel Pump Inop??

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:34 pm

The gl1200 fuel pump system is a odd duck indeed.
However I did figure it out.
The "relay" is a ignition coil activated load switch.
It does not continuously provide power for the pump.It switches "on" when there is ignition spark AND when the pump contacts are closed.
When running normally,a test light would just blink on every time the pump cycles.
For testing,the pump can be disconnected and fused 12 volts applied direct to operate it and be able to check fuel pressure and flow.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:37 pm

By the way.The fuel relay is up front.Bout center and near impossible to get to.

ncamie

Post by ncamie » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:33 am

virgilmobile wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:37 pm
By the way.The fuel relay is up front.Bout center and near impossible to get to.
Thank you Virgilmobile. The book talks about removing the ignition coils to find the relay; admittedly I haven't done that yet. Is the relay sitting in front of those coils is it? Does it look like a black plastic cube? Before I go looking for it again, what can you tell me about the voltage to the fuel pump electrical lead, is it supposed to be 6-8 volts or 12 volts? I don't have a test light, only a digital multimeter. Hmmm, just read connecting it directly. I may try that!

Also, out of curiosity, what is the fuel pump "cutoff" relay?

Norman

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:29 pm

It does look like a black cube and is in front of the ignition coils.
It's suppose to have steady 12 volts on the black wire with the key on/cranking/running.The other wire will have a short pulse on it when the pump cycles and is not easily measured with a digital meter.I saw it best with a test light when the bike was running and the pump was pulsing.The third wire ties to the ignition coil primary winding.It also has a very short pulse and quite high a voltage.
It may also have a bank angle sensor that operates a relay to remove power from the ignition and pump circuit to kill the engine should you lay it down.
I'd have to locate a schematic to verify this.

ncamie

Post by ncamie » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:06 pm

virgilmobile wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:29 pm
It does look like a black cube and is in front of the ignition coils.
It's suppose to have steady 12 volts on the black wire with the key on/cranking/running.The other wire will have a short pulse on it when the pump cycles and is not easily measured with a digital meter.I saw it best with a test light when the bike was running and the pump was pulsing.The third wire ties to the ignition coil primary winding.It also has a very short pulse and quite high a voltage.
It may also have a bank angle sensor that operates a relay to remove power from the ignition and pump circuit to kill the engine should you lay it down.
I'd have to locate a schematic to verify this.
Thank you man. I'll see what I can manage with her. Will check back in a bit later.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:49 am

"what is the fuel pump "cutoff" relay?"

That relay is on the fuel injected models, Aspencade doesn't have it.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

ncamie

Post by ncamie » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:52 am

julimike54 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:49 am
"what is the fuel pump "cutoff" relay?"

That relay is on the fuel injected models, Aspencade doesn't have it.
That explains it. Thank you.

DaRamblerman
Motorcycle: 87 GL1200A. 125,000 miles

Post by DaRamblerman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:51 pm

The Aspencade does have a fuel cut relay. Number 21 in the pict...https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... ition-coil

The relay is mounted in front of and just to the right of the coils and it can be changed without pulling fairing. Pull shelter, air box cover and any wires in the area. There are some bracket to remove and loosen coils I managed to wriggle it up between coil pack to remove and replace.