upgrade stock audio to bluetooth

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
farmboynm
Motorcycle: 1991 gl 1500 aspencade anversery edition

upgrade stock audio to bluetooth

Post by farmboynm » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:44 pm

i'm having some trouble finding if its even available a bluetooth adapter that will work with my stock audio system anyadvice will be appreciated thx in advance

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster
1985 Honda Saber VF1100 (Non-runner)

Re: upgrade stock audio to bluetooth

Post by 2003Cobra » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:34 pm

Welcome aboard! What are you trying to do? If you just want to listen to music then the J&M Digital music Player works quite well. It replaces you CD and is basically a plug and play. You can BT your phone to play music or use an audio cable.

If you are looking to be able to use your phone and connect wireless to your bike then Sena Freewire is a possibility. You can talk on your phone, text through Voice, play music etc. The down side to this is you do have to use a Sena 29s or higher with the freewire and all that can run some $$$.

Others have built their own setup so maybe they will chime in and give you some advice.
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:50 pm

There have been a few riders who seem to have had good luck with the Sena Freewire setup to fit their needs. It is a bit "pricey" but the "plug-and-play" aspect is a definite plus.

If the above info doesn't fit your needs/desires, , , there is another option, , , , viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50457

Or these might have interesting information that you can use,
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50410&p=309686#p309207
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36084

You'll find that the radio "blank-off" panel will allow you to upgrade to a newer "hi-tech" stereo with USB (for thumbdrive or charging a phone), Bluetooth feature with headset/phone, Aux-In (from phone/GPS/MP3 player), and/or SD card for a cost that might be less than other options.

farmboynm
Motorcycle: 1991 gl 1500 aspencade anversery edition

Post by farmboynm » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:14 am

ive looked at the sena freewire i looks like it is set up for the gl 1800 and not for the gl1500 not afraid of the cost just want to spend the money on the right item

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster
1985 Honda Saber VF1100 (Non-runner)

Post by 2003Cobra » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:49 am

Freewire will work with any goldwing as long as it has the 5 pin connector.
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.

Goldwing Perry
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

Post by Goldwing Perry » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:14 pm

There is a simple inexpensive solution. I have been using a Bluetooth audio cassette receiver with great success for a while now. It actually sounds great! Far better than I was expecting.

Here it is on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Aluratek-ABCT01F ... r=8-1&th=1

May be able to pickup locally at a Bestbuy for $2 or $3 more dollars. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aluratek-b ... Id=5795900

Note: if it sounds distorted turn the media volume on your phone down until it sounds clear.

TheChief
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing Aspencade SE GL-1500, 2000 Goldwing GL-1500 SE.

Post by TheChief » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:27 pm

Forget every thing you've been told. I've been fighting with getting reliable Bluetooth for a while.

I have a cheap Chinese GPS that has an MP3 player, Bluetooth, WiFi, and an FM transmitter on my 2000 GL1500. The FM works ok, but sometimes the TX gets stepped on and the audio becomes hash.

For my fist attempt to solve this problem I dropped $12.00 on a cassette Bluetooth adapter. The adapter paired right up, but unfortunately
the stereo audio was shifted heavy to the right. It wasn't caused by the tape deck head being out of alignment because my test tape and every other tape I used played just fine. I took the adapter apart and making an azimuth adjustment was out of the question so I pitched it and stuck with FM. $12.00 down the drain.

Today I finally have a system that works.

What I installed is an iSimple-ISFM23-Universal-Bluetooh-Transmitter . It's an FM modulator with a Bluetooth receiver. I ordered it on the 18th and Amazon delivered it today.

Despite having to take the seat off and the pulling up center tunnel section out to get to the FM antenna socket on the radio, the installation is fairly easy. The antenna cables (one male, one female) are long enough to let you tuck the electronics out of harm's way and the power wire harness is long enough to reach the switched 12 volt accessory terminals above the fuse box. If you don't want to used switched 12v, the harness as a shorting plug that can be take out so you can install the supplied ON-OFF switch.

The only real snag I hit was getting the box configured. Configuration is done by using an app (either apple or android). I figured I could use my GPS, as it is basically a small android tablet running iGo My Way software. I downloaded the Tranzit Blu app to my GPS. That's when the fun started. After some cussing and fussing I decided to use my phone instead.. Success..

The first issue was, although the Tranzit would pair to the GPS, when ever I tried to add the Tranzit to the apps device list, the app would crash...

The second issue is you must use the app to "turn the device ON" and set the device to AUTO so it will automatically connect to your audio source on power up, and of course you must use the app to set the transmit frequency.

There is one final "gotcha." After you the pair the device to you phone and run the app to configure Tranzit Blu. You must power cycle the device to get the settings to "stick."

I am fortunate enough to have a 12 volt power supply available, so I did all of the setup and testing on the bench.

After I had the device installed I did a power on test. First came pairing to the GPS. So far so good. Static from the radio (I had set the device to frequency that I was using with the GPS FM)... Launce the MP3 player app. Silence.. Sweet, the device "sees" the GPS audio carrier signal. Select my play list, select a track and BOOM! OMG the audio was amazing! Seriously, the audio quality is much better than I was getting from the over the air FM from the GPS.

Another upside to this is come tax time I'm pulling the trigger on a Garmin 595LM which just happens to have Bluetooth and an MP3 player..

Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'99 Honda Goldwing Aspencade SE
'00 Honda Goldwing Aspencade SE
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.
I Ride. Therefore I am....