Your 2010s as a Motorcyclist

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Your 2010s as a Motorcyclist

Post by kwthom » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:39 am

(stolen from elsewhere...)

Well, how was it?

100,000+ miles for me - roughly - all 48 contiguous states, several trips both east and west. Too bad I was on the beach and off bikes until twelve years ago. I'll add additional details later, but wanted to get this thread started.

How was your decade of riding? What do you want to improve and do more of in the next? Could this upcoming decade be your last decade to ride? What would complete that 'bucket list' of yours?

• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Your 2010s as a Motorcyclist

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:22 pm

Wow. Interesting idea, and poignant, as I went out for a ride today to cap off the year (and I guess the decade), before putting my Wing to bed for the winter.

I have no idea how many miles I've ridden this decade, but a few memorable moments come to mind:
  • Riding 3 1/2 hours across I-90 at supra-legal speeds on my GL1100 in the dark of night next to nsjoe, our lights blazing, looking out for deer. Sure is great riding at what might be ticketable speeds, when the guy next to you has a badge and a gun. :)
  • Riding over mountains in North Carolina somewhere, towing my newly-purchased trailer, in rain so heavy I couldn't see the road in front of me. Cliff dropoff on one side, rock wall on the other side of me, riding while looking down next to me on my left trying to keep the center line in view, and hoping I didn't come up on anyone. Thinking..."this is not going to end well, but I'm not giving up without a fight." I made it, but I will never forget it.
  • A wrong turn somewhere in backwoods West Virginia that led me on a 90-minute ride through the most amazing twisty roads and most beautiful scenery I have ever ridden, then or since
  • Riding 21 hours straight from Cleveland to Orlando - and then two days later, turning around and doing it again going home
  • Getting pulled over for speeding (um, 105 in a 60 zone) on my GL1100, but the state trooper let me go with a warning because I explained I was on my way to the hospital as my brother in law had just been in a motorcycle crash
  • Riding through severe thunderstorms at night in Florida, trying to keep the taillights of the tractor trailer I was following directly in front of me, because I couldn't see the lines on the road, and hoping any lightning would hit the tractor trailer, and not me
  • Riding around Hocking Hills, OH with my new bride just after we were married
  • GoldwingDocs Gathering with my daughter riding pillion
  • Riding with my wife after she got her license and a bike of her own
  • Riding through the twisties of Hocking Hills with my wife on her Pacific Coast

Just bought my trailer, somewhere in the mountains of West Virginia
Just bought my trailer, somewhere in the mountains of West Virginia

GL1100 before leaving for Hocking Hills
GL1100 before leaving for Hocking Hills

GoldwingDocs Gathering with my daughter
GoldwingDocs Gathering with my daughter

My wife with her first motorcycle
My wife with her first motorcycle

My wife with her PC800
My wife with her PC800

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:14 am

...and now, the rest of the story.

But before we go there - the definition of a decade. Most historians believe that every subsequent decade begins on a year ending in zero, e.g. 2010-2019, because the year ending in zero is nevertheless a full year.

Now that the pedants have been satisfied...

After a bit of review, I'm at a little over 110,000 miles for the decade. A dozen Iron Butt Association certified rides, including the 48/10 and 50CC, have all be done in this decade. Additionally, my wife and I have toured together 38 states on 19 unique rides. This doesn't include a few solo rides I've done to Nevada & California for an annual get-together by a few who I have met on a different forum.

The upcoming decade? Quite possibly a bit more of the same, as long as our health holds up. My wife and I are considering the *real* retirement ride, which might happen in '20 or perhaps '21.

Since the weather is going to go to crap over the next 48 hours here in ¡Baja Arizona!, I'm going to get ready and go for a ride.
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer and fall Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:19 am

Well you are opening a can of worms indeed.
In the past 10 years it's been interesting and fun filled, nearing 190,000+/- miles. 4 goldwings, 1983, 2/1999, 2008 and 2 CB750 fours, a 75 and a 76.
I got back into riding after a 25 year hiatus raising a family and being single again, finally had enough to buy an 83 Aspencade that sat 13 years and brought it back to life in late 2009 and put 26,000 miles on it in a year and a half of local riding in SoCal, to Vegas to see the kids and grandkids and 1 trip up through the California mountains to just above Tahoe to the Feather river into Chico, down to the Bay Area to ride down the coast back to San Diego, 2,100 miles in 6 days.
In July 2010 friend passed away and left me his 99SE which had 55,000 on it. Part of getting the 99 was to give my 83 to his pastor so Dan could bless 2 people at one time. He was a great friend and left me a beautiful bike which I took my 1st cross country ride on in 25 years. Had a blast and put 17,300 miles on it that trip in 3 months, left San Diego late August and got back late November. Went to Bar Harbor and Cadillac Mtn in a tee shirt, 80 degrees on Columbus day and then while back there in southern NH we got 24" wet snow on Oct 30th.
I left NH 2 weeks later and headed south in 35 degrees highs until I got to eastern TN where it was 45 degrees. Rode the Tail of the Dragon, the Snake and some other roads there before heading south to warmer roads across to San Diego getting back in time for Thanksgiving with the kids.
I learned on that trip that I needed heated gear to be riding that late in the season at those temps, as the fingers and toes get cold quick, even though my core was warm enough with good thermal underwear. 2012 was California riding and back and forth to Vegas several rides.
Feb 2013, 2 weeks before I was going to ride to TN, a girl pulled out in front of me in Oceanside and I tee boned her cage, totaled the 99 and almost totaled me in my 1st wreck in 135,000 miles of riding since 1974. 2 months later I put a down payment on my 08, also bought a 99 Aspencade to bring back to life as my healing project. A month later, June 1st, I flew to NH to purchase the 08 and had a 10 week cruise on it, 3 weeks visiting in NH and riding up to Maine camping in a tent, rode to RI to buy an Aspen Sentry for the trip back to San Diego, so my bad back wouldn't have to sleep on uneven ground, rode to WI to see the grandkids there for 3 weeks then took the Rt 2 across a bit, meandered through MN down to the northeast SD corner and meandered through SD to the Black Hills for 3 days of great riding, and almost got plowed by a bull Bison going through Custer State Park! They came move fast quickly. I think he didn't like my flag on the back of the bike flapping in the wind.
Then I headed up through WY, across Lolo Pass into ID and southern WA to see Mt Rainer and Mt St Helens then over to the coast for the ride south back to San Diego. 9,100 miles that trip, of which maybe 1,000 miles total on slabs, just to get to the next twisty road I could find on the map each night. It was my most memorable trip.
I've done 4 more trips to spend summer and fall in NH and wintered there in 2014 and 2017, yuk on winter, I like riding rather than being stuck driving in a cage all winter.
I just got back a week ago from NH, a month on the road and just 5,000 miles. This trip I camped and used the BunkaBiker map to find offerings of places to get shelter from the storms and cold of the late fall riding across the country(people offering a camping spot, or a bed and some offering shop space if needed along the roads, a great thing I you haven't joined yet! On Facebook)

https://m.facebook.com/groups/556188924 ... oup_browse

Could this be your last decade of riding?
Lord willing, my hopes are to ride another 3 decades into my mid 90s. Ya never know when your day number will come up or how, so live your life unto the Lord to be ready for that day, might be today. Live life to it's fullest, love with an unending love and let your family and friends know you care enough about them and be there for them in their time of need, while they are still here to be with. No regrets is better than memories of regrets.

What to do different? Not much, just keep finding different roads and meet lots more new friends.

Bucket list, ride an old Indian across the country if my bad back can handle it. It'd have to have a backrest for sure. Ride one on the Motorcycle Cannonball Run.
Ride to Alaska.
Attachments

My 1983 Aspencade after it's resurrection in 2009
My 1983 Aspencade after it's resurrection in 2009

My 99SE and trailer my friend left to me. This was the middle of November 2011 on the way from NH to San Diego for the winter.
My 99SE and trailer my friend left to me. This was the middle of November 2011 on the way from NH to San Diego for the winter.

It was decked out by the original owner that Dan bought it from in 2001.
It was decked out by the original owner that Dan bought it from in 2001.

It's demise by cagger. I bought it back from the insurance company to get parts from it to put on a 99A I bought to bring back to life and sold the frame and motor to a friend.
It's demise by cagger. I bought it back from the insurance company to get parts from it to put on a 99A I bought to bring back to life and sold the frame and motor to a friend.

My healing project to bring this 99 Aspencade back to life. The original owner got sick and it sat neglected outside a few years. We both came back to life.
My healing project to bring this 99 Aspencade back to life. The original owner got sick and it sat neglected outside a few years. We both came back to life.

Just before selling the Aspencade to a happy couple. It had 17,500 on it when I got it, 21,500 when they bought it. It purred.
Just before selling the Aspencade to a happy couple. It had 17,500 on it when I got it, 21,500 when they bought it. It purred.

My 08 just after getting it and the Aspen camper before my trip back with it to San Diego. First thing I bought for it was the Windbender windshield.
My 08 just after getting it and the Aspen camper before my trip back with it to San Diego. First thing I bought for it was the Windbender windshield.

I like trains too
I like trains too

And lighthouses. At the Mighty Mackinac
And lighthouses. At the Mighty Mackinac

Cows and calves will pass on by. Bulls are another story....
Cows and calves will pass on by. Bulls are another story....

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer and fall Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:54 am

Y'all have a Happy Thanksgiving, a very Merry Christmas and a bright many miles filled new year!
Attachments

Shelter from a late July hail storm in a remote valley on Montana at a hot springs resort.
Shelter from a late July hail storm in a remote valley on Montana at a hot springs resort.

Next to a campground in Garabaldi OR was an old Steam yard still operated as a senic railroad.
Next to a campground in Garabaldi OR was an old Steam yard still operated as a senic railroad.

Riding through the coastal Redwoods of northern California
Riding through the coastal Redwoods of northern California

This 76 750 I set up for my brother, he had to sell it so my dad bought it and rode it a couple years then sold it to a friend of mine from school. It was given back to me...frozen so I've got it torn down for a rebuild.
This 76 750 I set up for my brother, he had to sell it so my dad bought it and rode it a couple years then sold it to a friend of mine from school. It was given back to me...frozen so I've got it torn down for a rebuild.

My 75 that I bought from another friend's estate a couple years ago. It sat in his dry basement from 2008, put away properly so it is a runner.
My 75 that I bought from another friend's estate a couple years ago. It sat in his dry basement from 2008, put away properly so it is a runner.

A month ago on Skyline Dr VA
A month ago on Skyline Dr VA

My Bunk-a-Biker hosts in Atlanta were a hoot from South Africa originally. It was great meeting their friends and swapping ride stories.
My Bunk-a-Biker hosts in Atlanta were a hoot from South Africa originally. It was great meeting their friends and swapping ride stories.

A friend from Motorcycle Cannonball invited me to stay in there guesthouse in TX with an invite to stop back in the spring to ride some of his 1913-1950 bikes. Can't wait for spring!!!
A friend from Motorcycle Cannonball invited me to stay in there guesthouse in TX with an invite to stop back in the spring to ride some of his 1913-1950 bikes. Can't wait for spring!!!

ron203
Motorcycle: 2014 Concours, 2008 GL 1800

Post by ron203 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:23 pm

What a great idea for a thread! Let's see:

Got back into riding in about 2010, after 32 years away, with a 2000 Kawasaki C-10, rode it 25,000 miles with rides in GA, TN, NC,SC, Alabama, Colorado including the Million Dollar Hwy. Sold it, bought a 2014 Kawaski C-14 and have ridden that one about 17,000 miles in the same states plus Missouri, Texas, Florida.

I added a 2008 GL 1800 in Feb of 2018 and have ridden it 6,000 miles (so far) including a 2,300 miler last summer to PA, NY, WVa, Va, the Carolinas, Tennessee. More trips to Alabama, with planned junkets to Fl, Al, Tn," and the Carolinas this coming year. Total miles and counting for the last 10 years, I guess, are about 48,000 -- but I'm not retired yet! Got the Wing's valves adjusted today @ 33,365 (perfect) and new brakes. Rode about 65 miles this week with a long weekend coming!

Loving the Wing for mile eating. My wife calls it "our bike" and the C-14 "my bike" because she likes riding the Wing better and I like both. I'm fading on the C-14, so if you need one....<hint, hint>. :-)