Gl1000 if I open the fuel valve engine stops

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
Eugrasse
Motorcycle: GL1000 K0

Gl1000 if I open the fuel valve engine stops

Post by Eugrasse » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Dears, I've just bought a GL1000 K0 1975, yellow, she has got a problem, engine starts, than after a while it stops, I notice that if I close the fuel valve, engine keeps running longer until gas is finished, when it runs it does smoothly. I suppose that to much fuel goes into cylinders and engine is flooded. Spark plugs are flooded. I made a wonderful run of 2 miles and then engine stopped, no way to start it again. I removed the old gas, changed the spark plugs, disassembled the carbs, they seemed clean, the floating bowls seems correct at 21m. I put carbs on again but the same engine start, than if I keep fuel valve open it stops. Now I disassembled again the carb and I'm waiting to receive the carb rebuild kit I 've purchased in the web. The only problem that i founded is that now several bolts of chamber float are stripped, almost half of them, than I had to enlarge the holes and make new thread for larger bolts. Now I got half original bolts and half larger, but I found already this situation made buy the previous owner, I just added three new thread and bigger bolts.
Any thoughts ? suggestion are very welcomed.
I seeked for a mechanic near my town in Italy, the only one I got at the phone he told me he has to much Goldwings to fix than better to come to visit him in one year. I also like to do by myself, I'm an engineer but not a mechanic. Anyway I feel that fixing by my self is very relaxing. If I succeed.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Gl1000 if I open the fuel valve engine stops

Post by Rambozo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:54 pm

Sounds like you know what the problem is. I would agree that it sounds like needle valves are not sealing up. New ones should fix that, or you can just ride a lot faster to use all that extra fuel. ;)

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete.
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81 gl1100i frame / 82 gl1100a engine/ 81cb900 odds & ends; resurrection complete. it's naked. SOLD.

Post by winguyjo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:40 pm

try this the next time you have the carbs apart ... put a q-tip in a drill and put a dab of a slightly abrasive substance on the end of the q-tip ... some use valve lapping compound, i like hand cleaner with pumice in it, some say toothpaste works ... a few seconds of this and those needle valve seats will be bright, shiny, clean brass. then clean out whatever remaining residue there is with a clean q-tip in the drill.

after you have it all back together, if they still leak, give the leaking bowl(s) several good raps with the handle of a screwdriver. sometimes the needle valve just need a bit of help getting all the way back up in its bore.

cfairweather
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000, 2013 BMW R1200RT, 1972 K1 CB750, 2019 Triumph Speed Twin

Post by cfairweather » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:21 am

To fix the float bowl screw holes back to the original size, buy a TimeSert thread repair kit. You can probably get these in Italy but they are made in the USA. http://www.timesert.com/

When rebuilding the carbs, be sure to replace the plenum seal and the carb-to-plenum seals. I use four clear tubes connected to the carb drain holes to check the float level before installing the carbs. You can buy these tubes on ebay. I use an electric fuel pump (K&N 81-0400) because it is a good test for the float valves. When on a flat surface, hold each clear tube next to the outer edge of each carb. The gasoline level should be within the outer lip edge. The carbs are mounted at an angle and the edge I am referring to is the lowest lip edge. If the level is slightly above the lip, make a slight adjustment to the float and test again. If the level is way above the lip, the float valve is probably leaking. It is best to do this test before installing the carb top caps and slides. It allows you to look down through the top hole and check for gasoline and if you have to make adjustments you won't have gasoline going into the top caps when you turn the carbs upside down. I also always test the plenum for vacuum leaks before I install the carbs. To do this, disconnect the four rubber hoses from the plenum and remove the air cut valve. Connect your vacuum hand pump to one of the brass inlets and plug all the other holes. Pump up the vacuum pump to about 20 pounds and see if it leaks.

Here is a link for the clear tubes. You can buy only one and get by, but it is easier to buy four and check them all at once.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Carburet ... SwUIxbuB7y

Eugrasse

Post by Eugrasse » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Dears, I made the air and fuel leak tests, air test ok the fuel one failed, no way to get any negative pression. Than I disassembled the carbs, the carb to plenum fuel seals are very rigid and shaped, also the oring seal all around is flattened at a certain point in one carb. Therefore I'm going to replace them all. I'm waiting for spare parts coming from Danmark.
Very smart tip from cfairweather, about the tool to test the fuel level in the carb bowls.
I presume that the fuel leak in the plenum is only one component of my problem, not enought alone to overfload my cylinders. I presume there is also a problem of fuel valves leaks from the bowls.
Any suggestion or help is very apreaciated.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:49 am

A plenum leak of fuel or a carb-to-plenum oring leak can be enough to flood the bike at idle. The bigger danger is not catching it and having one cylinder stack fuel above the intake valve. When you go to start it, the piston draws in enough to fill the jug or enough to keep the piston from getting to TDC. You’re hydrolocked. The combination of the starter’s inertia and whether one of the other cylinders has fired already is enough to bend a rod. Ask me how I know??? It makes a hell of a crack sound.

Eugrasse

Post by Eugrasse » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:42 pm

I rode my Goldwing only one time, the idle was smooth, the drive was smooth and perfect, after one mile it started to loose power, than I closed the fuel valve and it catched up, so I opened the fuel valve, it losted power again, it started to work with only two cylinders, than it stopped. i tried to start the engine again, I discharged the battery trying , No way. Than I disassembled the carburators. Here is where I'm.,waiting for the parts