What are you planning for upgrades in 2020?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

What are you planning for upgrades in 2020?

Post by C-dub » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:22 am

I wasn't sure where to place this since it isn't an actual product review, but will be all about new things for the new year.

After another trip without a trailer, I think my wife is a little more on board with getting with getting one. Probably not a bunkhouse type setup, but maybe just a small one to increase storage space. One issue we came across on our recent trip was what to do with our riding gear (helmets, jackets, and pants) when we get somewhere we want to stop and visit for a while. Both helmets will not fit in the truck and neither will all the other gear. Discussion of a trailer with some things in it for the trip, but also mostly for the ability to be able to store all that gear and trade out for a different jacket or shoes if needed for walking around. That might be too bad because it decreases the price of a trailer from a bunkhouse type to just a storage type.

My list of possible options in no particular order follows:

1. Trailer - maybe a Bushtec Quantum GL+
2. Boots, for me and her
3. Better riding gear for her
4. Madstad shield
5. Innovv K2 camera system

That's a pretty good list, but I feel like I've left something out. Maybe some of ya'lls ideas will remind me of whatever it was I might have forgotten.

The boots upgrade for me might even happen before the end of the year. She says she's still okay with hers. Hers don't see as much wear as mine do since she was only in the saddle with me for around 2-2.5k miles this year to my 12k. There really isn't anything wrong with mine yet and don't need replacing, so mine would just be an upgrade as the title indicates.

I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Pull-behind trailer (my design)
2017 Zero DS 7.2
2006 Acura RL
1982 DeLorean (DMC-12)

Re: What are you planning for upgrades in 2020?

Post by GoldWingRev » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:18 am

Well my 1500 got smashed up two years ago, and while I was suing them, I bought a Zero. Turns out, all the lawyers in South Dakota are incompetent losers, I fixed the bike myself and moved. My upgrades are, unhappily, not getting the new Gold Wing and most likely getting the Star Venture. I can’t stand the new Wing. So I’ll have my Zero DS and the Venture, I’d be “trading in” my Wing but keeping my trailer.
"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins) 🐉

C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:40 pm

I bought a pair of Klim Outlander GTX boots a few days ago. Just about the only negatives I read about ahead of time are around the tongue being too rigid and some people experienced pressure points on one or more spots that were apparently too uncomfortable to attempt to work through during a break-in period.

I had only one pressure point on the top left of my right foot when I tried them on in the store. It wasn't too bad, so I figured it would either go away after a bit of breaking in or I could figure out something to push back on it to make it NOT a pressure point. After only a few days of to and from work and a little walking, that point is not much of a point any longer. So, that issue is going away and I'm sure will only only become less and less of an issue with more wear.

That "BOA" lacing system is pretty cool. I'm getting used to and figuring out how to get the fit better each day of use.

The sole is way better than my TCX boots for walking around.

My one and only complaint is about the height of the boot. I'm even a little confused about it due to some of the negative reviews regarding the stiffness of the tongue rubbing on their shins. This boot is only up to my ankle and doesn't reach my shins. I don't know that I would have any issues with it if it did, but it doesn't come up that high on me and that's really my only issue with these. When riding, even with my kinda longish riding pants, the boots are low enough that the pant leg is just at the top of the boots. This allows quite a bit more cool/cold air up my pant leg when I put my feet out on the highway pegs. When on the main pegs this is not as much of an issue. This may end up being a plus during the warming months. We'll see. Overall, I like them quite a bit.

I'm not sure what will be next on my list. We don't have our next trip planned yet. A Grand Canyon trip might be our next and that would be a major step up as far as trips go since it will take us two fairly full days to d o the 1k miles just to get there. We also have family down in one of the Phoenix burbs and might have them meet us up there or just wait for us to get down to their place. In either case it would be a trip of 6-10 days. I would hope closer to and maybe even 1-2 days over that 10 day mark. So, that means a trailer might be next in que.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:16 pm

C-dub, like you I've come to the determination that a trailer is a must. Our Summer trip found us way (WAY) overloaded. Also, based on your avatar, I'm assuming you're an LEO. If that's the case, did you get a discount from Klim? If not, go to klim.com, and fill out the application in their VIP section. I believe they offer the same discount to LE and First responders as they do to Military, which is 30%.

That aside, my upgrades for 2020 are as follows;
* Kuryakyn hitch
* Cyclemate CM 1000 trailer
* Progressive Monotubes in the front forks
* LED lights in the rear of the bike
* New brake light modulator (LED compatible)
* Heated grips
* New Colorado Chaps for me (if you're thinking of getting a set of these, she's looking at retiring possibly before this Summer)
* New boots for me, my Cody James are great for riding, but suck for walking
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired

C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:17 pm

Mountain rider wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:16 pm
C-dub, like you I've come to the determination that a trailer is a must. Our Summer trip found us way (WAY) overloaded. Also, based on your avatar, I'm assuming you're an LEO. If that's the case, did you get a discount from Klim? If not, go to klim.com, and fill out the application in their VIP section. I believe they offer the same discount to LE and First responders as they do to Military, which is 30%.

That aside, my upgrades for 2020 are as follows;
* Kuryakyn hitch
* Cyclemate CM 1000 trailer
* Progressive Monotubes in the front forks
* LED lights in the rear of the bike
* New brake light modulator (LED compatible)
* Heated grips
* New Colorado Chaps for me (if you're thinking of getting a set of these, she's looking at retiring possibly before this Summer)
* New boots for me, my Cody James are great for riding, but suck for walking
Not a LEO. Please see my signature line.

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:11 am

I see, and my error.
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:48 am

GoldWingRev wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:18 am
Well my 1500 got smashed up two years ago..... My upgrades are, unhappily, not getting the new Gold Wing and most likely getting the Star Venture. I can’t stand the new Wing....
Similar situation here. I'm undecided what to do with my totaled 1500 Aspencade-that I've now repaired. If I decide to get rid of it, that Star Venture will be it's replacement. No offense to newer 'Wing owners, but it does nothing for me. I want a touring machine, not a "sport tourer'.