bike starts and runs ok lights work but most accessories do not

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
willd1942
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500se goldwing

bike starts and runs ok lights work but most accessories do not

Post by willd1942 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:17 am

after sitting idle for three months, the battery appears to have shorted in some way.with bat removed when jumper cables were connected sparks flew. a new bat was installed. bike started and runs great . however most accessories do not.where should i start looking for the problem? (accessories include - clock, radio, turn signal auto cancler, cruise control set, etc.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: bike starts and runs ok lights work but most accessories do not

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:26 am

First of all,
you should never, ever, connect jumper cables to the battery on the bike last.
Always connect from the hot battery.

I am assuming from what you said, that this occurred?

Goldwings have a static standby draw of a few milliAmps, and over a few weeks w/o the bike being ridden, the battery will be pulled down to zero volts, or nearly so.

Battery Tenders are highly recommended for batteries that do not get frequent charging from riding..... e.g., Winter Storage for one.

the alternative, is to remove the Negative terminal off the battery while the bike is not being used.

Now, your problem.

Most likely, some fuses have been blown.... the sparks are highly suggestive that the cables "may have been" reversed?
If so, a lot of fuses will be open now.

Look at all of them, pull them out, and inspect for corrosion or blown open.

let us know what you find.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:10 am

+1 on fuses. Could be a relay, I forget all what that pesky #3 relay controls but it's a lot....

He said he connected jump cables to bike battery when it was Out of the bike, then simply installed a new battery, so I doubt the bike saw any reverse current. Would have blown main dogbone with reverse current thru the alternator diodes.

The "Proper" way to jumpstart a dead battery (Any vehicle) is to connect jumper cables (both Pos and Neg) to the dead vehicle first, then the Pos cable to the live vehicle Pos battery terminal, and lastly clamp the Neg cable to a good ground somewhere on the Engine Block in the "live" vehicle and NOT the Neg terminal of the battery.

That last jumper cable connection usually results in sparks, connecting the Neg cable to the engine block keeps the sparks away from the battery which generates hydrogen gas in normal charge/discharge processes. Battery explosions, while rare, have been known to occur from sparks on battery terminals. If jumping another vehicle with my Jeep, I usually clamp that last Neg connection to the alternator bracket, easy to get to.

Proper jumper cable disconnection is exactly the reverse, disconnect the engine block cable first, for the same reason....

On some vehicles getting jumper cables connected to the battery isn't exactly easy, the Neg cable on the vehicle you are jump-starting can go to engine block or other convenient chassis ground too, that's where the Neg lead of the battery goes anyhow.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

willd1942
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500se goldwing

Post by willd1942 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:42 pm

thanks for all the feedback- the batt was removed from the bike when the sparks flew.the jumper cables were connected correctly. the problem is solved ,fuses # 10 and 13 were the cause. thanks again and excuse my spelling and proper use of nouns etc. the initial post and this one has consumed at least an hour.not bad for a 77 year old motorcycle bum huh?