Parts needed, maybe wrong place for this?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
aspencade.sei
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing GL-1200 LTD

Parts needed, maybe wrong place for this?

Post by aspencade.sei »

I have been working on my 1985 Goldwing LTD almost all day with a few things to "get er done" and along the way I came up with a missing part in my fairing. A metal plate that goes inside the fairing where the left mirror mounts. The right one was there and all was fine but the left one was missing so the mirror was lose and without the part, someone in the past has rigged it. I am looking for a good condition Honda part #64531-MG9-770. Partszilla does not have it and currently, there are none listed on eBay. see the images of the "right one" and please note I need the "left one".

Then I have a scary issue while working I found Voltage Rectifier Regulator had a badly melted Orange and one green wire. Again see images. I am figuring this thing is bad and likely the stator is shorted out so wondering if I should replace this and the bad wires but then install the poor boys alternator cause I do not have the way to drop the motor and replace the stator. Just let the cooked stator go along for the ride.

There is a rats nest in the fairing so is off and after removal of all the "stuff" will spend some time at the carwash being cleaned out. At this point, I will also refurbish the instrument cluster (spiders dead inside) and convert all the fairing lights over to LED. Maybe even redo the mounts and shoot them with a fresh coat of rustproof paint.

So anyone with some help, part, or info on my electrical issue?
thanks in advance for the positive feedback and response.
Alan
Attachments

This is the "right side" and I need the left side.

Voltage Rectifier Regulator melted orange
Voltage Rectifier Regulator melted orange

Voltage Rectifier Regulator melted green
Voltage Rectifier Regulator melted green

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Parts needed, maybe wrong place for this?

Post by DenverWinger »

Sorry, can't help with the mirror mount thingy....

Looks like internal short in the rec/reg, There's a fair (50/50) chance your stator is still OK, it should be tested with Rec/Reg disconnected anyway. You may be able to avoid a Poorboy conversion.

Call the three yellow wires coming from the stator "A", "B" and "C". Set your volt meter to AC volts and with engine at 3000 RPM you should measure on the order of 50-70 volts AC between wires A & B, A & C, and B & C.

What we are looking for is all three voltage readings to be roughly the same at 3000 RPM. Final test is to measure ohms between one of the yellow wires and ground. Should be no reading (open circuit).

If stator passes these tests you can call it good, and a new rec/reg should happily get you on your way....

If the stator tests bad, no need to replace the rec/reg if you do the poorboy conversion, just leave those wires disconnected.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

aspencade.sei wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:01 pm
I have been working on my 1985 Goldwing LTD almost all day with a few things to "get er done" and along the way I came up with a missing part in my fairing. A metal plate that goes inside the fairing where the left mirror mounts. The right one was there and all was fine but the left one was missing so the mirror was lose and without the part, someone in the past has rigged it. I am looking for a good condition Honda part #64531-MG9-770. Partszilla does not have it and currently, there are none listed on eBay. see the images of the "right one" and please note I need the "left one".

Alan
that part # is not correct from what I can determine, if the FleaBay seller is correct?

64531-MG9-770

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312723900158
but what he is showing does not align with a picture of what you have.

that was the only hit that I got with SearchTempest.com

apparently, you are going to have to call up a lot of salvage yards.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

64531-MG9-770 is the proper part number. As suggested scrap yards or look for a complete fairing.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

That bracket is probably going to be tough to find on its own. I might be tempted to take some steel plate, cut and bend it to fit, and drill/tap it for the screws. I suppose you could also tack-weld some nuts in place, like was done on the original.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 »

aspencade.sei wrote:

Then I have a scary issue while working I found Voltage Rectifier Regulator had a badly melted Orange and one green wire. Again see images. I am figuring this thing is bad and likely the stator is shorted out so wondering if I should replace this and the bad wires but then install the poor boys alternator cause I do not have the way to drop the motor and replace the stator. Just let the cooked stator go along for the ride.

There is a rats nest in the fairing so is off and after removal of all the "stuff" will spend some time at the carwash being cleaned out. At this point, I will also refurbish the instrument cluster (spiders dead inside) and convert all the fairing lights over to LED. Maybe even redo the mounts and shoot them with a fresh coat of rustproof paint.

Alan

Is this what your looking for?..........https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-HONDA-GL1 ... Sw9mFWJX-b

Stuart.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

roadwanderer2 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:47 pm
aspencade.sei wrote:

Alan

Is this what your looking for?..........https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-HONDA-GL1 ... Sw9mFWJX-b

Stuart.
That would be the 'outer' bracket, he needs the inner bracket
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

aspencade.sei

Post by aspencade.sei »

roadwanderer2 wrote:
aspencade.sei wrote:

Alan

Stuart.
Stuart, no, that is the actual base of the mirror and the part I need is the one that it bolts to inside the fairing. Thanks for the effort.

aspencade.sei

Post by aspencade.sei »

DenverWinger wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:22 pm
Sorry, can't help with the mirror mount thingy....

Looks like internal short in the rec/reg, There's a fair (50/50) chance your stator is still OK, it should be tested with Rec/Reg disconnected anyway. You may be able to avoid a Poorboy conversion.

Call the three yellow wires coming from the stator "A", "B" and "C". Set your volt meter to AC volts and with engine at 3000 RPM you should measure on the order of 50-70 volts AC between wires A & B, A & C, and B & C.

What we are looking for is all three voltage readings to be roughly the same at 3000 RPM. Final test is to measure ohms between one of the yellow wires and ground. Should be no reading (open circuit).

If stator passes these tests you can call it good, and a new rec/reg should happily get you on your way....

If the stator tests bad, no need to replace the rec/reg if you do the poorboy conversion, just leave those wires disconnected.
Well, for now, this won't be an option, I won't be able to start it till I have done some more work on things.

I just pulled the fairing and mount off to clean out a rats nest and see about some other wire damage. Rat/mouse chewed the wires to the radio and cluster and built a nest in the fairing that went from the harness connector on the left side (sitting on the bike) all the way around to under the air compressor on the right side. This nesting held water inside the fairing and resulted in the rusting of the fairing mounts and some parts like the radio amp and terminal component (this terminal also has one lead on it chewed by a mouse/rat) so both of them and the radio harness will be replaced. Then, once the fairing and all is mounted back in place the motor work (fuel pump, filter and timing belts) will be addressed and hopefully, she will start and run good and I can test the Stator and decide on the Poorboy kit. I was considering starting a "winter rebuild" post series here if the admin doesn't mind.

aspencade.sei

Post by aspencade.sei »

julimike54 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:16 am
64531-MG9-770 is the proper part number. As suggested scrap yards or look for a complete fairing.
Yes, I have researched it for a while and did some calling before I posted it here. Hoping for a lucky part find.

One guy near me has it but wants $25 for it. Plus I have to drive to pay and get it so hoping for a quicker one.

aspencade.sei

Post by aspencade.sei »

WingAdmin wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:20 pm
That bracket is probably going to be tough to find on its own. I might be tempted to take some steel plate, cut and bend it to fit, and drill/tap it for the screws. I suppose you could also tack-weld some nuts in place, like was done on the original.
Well, I did think of that, also making my own poor boy brackets, but I don't have the parts and welding skills for that.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 »

julimike54 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:54 am
roadwanderer2 wrote:
aspencade.sei wrote:

Alan

Stuart.
Ok, gotcha. You need the INNER bracket. I have some friends that own a couple of bike salvage yards back in Tennessee, The best I can do is call them after the holidays to find out if they have what you're looking for and connect you to them for price and shipping. that part fits a lot of different years and models of G/W. Anywhere from an 84 to and 86 will fit.

Stuart.

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 »

roadwanderer2 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:12 pm
julimike54 wrote:
roadwanderer2 wrote:

Stuart.
Ok, gotcha. You need the INNER bracket. I have some friends that own a couple of bike salvage yards back in Tennessee, The best I can do is call them after the holidays to find out if they have what you're looking for and connect you to them for price and shipping. That part fits a lot of different years and models of G/W. Anywhere from an 84 to and 87 will fit.

Stuart.

CH1200SEI
Motorcycle: 1986 GL 1200 Aspencade Sei

Post by CH1200SEI »

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 »

Good going CH1200, nice find. Not sure what 11 euros comes out to in USD, but im sure to aspencade.sei, whatever the cost is, it'll be worth every cent.

Stuart.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

now that is a find!!!
and they have two of them,
best get that on order NOW !!!
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 »

I'd order 2 left and 2 right just to be on the "safe side" lol.

Stuart.

CH1200SEI
Motorcycle: 1986 GL 1200 Aspencade Sei

Post by CH1200SEI »

Hello, I'm happy that I could help.

Christoph

aspencade.sei

Post by aspencade.sei »

roadwanderer2 wrote:
aspencade.sei wrote:

Alan

Stuart.
Sorry for the delayed response, I have been working 6 days a week due to some mechanical issues with the machine I work and not much more than sleeping and little things. I have found a couple of the mirror mounts but sadly one was badly bent (and free) and the other after paying for has still not arrived. I will see about a refund and order the one that is recommended below from CMS overseas. I did check that one and the cost is $48.00 with shipping.

aspencade.sei

Post by aspencade.sei »

roadwanderer2 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:14 pm
roadwanderer2 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:12 pm
julimike54 wrote:

Ok, gotcha. You need the INNER bracket. I have some friends that own a couple of bike salvage yards back in Tennessee, The best I can do is call them after the holidays to find out if they have what you're looking for and connect you to them for price and shipping. That part fits a lot of different years and models of G/W. Anywhere from an 84 to and 87 will fit.

Stuart.
Well, if they can help for less than $48 then I am interested PLUS I am going to need the Honda Chrome & rubber trim for the 85 LTD saddlebags as all mine shows some rusting and the only solution for me will be redo and rechrome or replace. (maybe both by replacing with some better and have these re-chromed and put back on later). I hate the idea of installing the rear bumper with the LED conversion and not address this rusty chrome.
Attachments

aspencade.sei

Post by aspencade.sei »

That is the part, the total price with shipping looks like $48 so I'll order one as soon as I give up on the current path. I hope someone here can help find one local. I got the one that was local but it was too damaged to be used for my needs.

I need to repair the fairing mounting as one hole for the left mirror has some damage, once that is done (with JB weld for plastic) I can start reassembling the fairing and remount it and move on to installing the Progressive spring, new seals and new fork oil. Then finish the brake system rebuild, new hoses and maybe rotors. I think I will refer to her and a 85/20 cause she was made in 1985 and all but the engine internals gone through in 2019-2020.

aspencade.sei

Post by aspencade.sei »

roadwanderer2 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:34 pm
Good going CH1200, nice find. Not sure what 11 euros comes out to in USD, but im sure to aspencade.sei, whatever the cost is, it'll be worth every cent.

Stuart.
Stuart, with the shipping at today's exchange rate it's about $48 so, for now, I am going to see if a local or maybe US source can be found. I do need to find the chrome and rubber trim parts for the saddlebags if you can check with your friends in TN. As I am in Northern Alabama its a closer parts source.
Please, call me Alan

aspencade.sei

Post by aspencade.sei »

AZgl1800 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:34 pm
aspencade.sei wrote:

Alan
that part # is not correct from what I can determine, if the FleaBay seller is correct?

64531-MG9-770

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312723900158
but what he is showing does not align with a picture of what you have.

that was the only hit that I got with SearchTempest.com

apparently, you are going to have to call up a lot of salvage yards.
I messaged that seller about the part number in the image vs the part number in the title and never got any reply so that was an empty message. I keep searching.

aspencade.sei

Post by aspencade.sei »

WingAdmin wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:20 pm
I just do not have the resources, ability or tools needed to attempt that. I am right now evaluating the poor boy alt kit and quit trying to make my own when I got the email for the kit maker and he offered me two levels of kit for really good prices. I just need to get the bike ready to install it.

aspencade.sei

Post by aspencade.sei »

Update to my rebuild winter project,
I got the mirror inner part from the recommended source (Thanks for that help).

I have fixed the fairing mirror mount issue with the new part, some JB Weld black for plastics.

See image. So, now I need a good set of vents

and some H3 LED bulbs for my cornering lights and I should be ready to reassemble the fairing and remount it.

I'll reinstall the lower fairing parts after I replace the timing belts, tensioners, and springs. OH, The lighting on the front of the bike has now been converted to LED with a EB-28 flasher unit and the side marker lights have been converted to be both marker and turn signals. It is a sure thing she will be easy to see at night from any side..LOL. I also got some touchup paint from Orilleys auto. Right now, not touching the saddlebags or trunk and not addressing the mounting for the side panels I have about $1200 in the rebuild BUT she is turning out so nice. I tested the new front speakers and I'm pleased.

Question for the group, what cassette adapter have you used with the GL1200 & Clarion systems to have Bluetooth? I have an old Samsung A7 phone I got while teaching in China and I replaced the software so now it would make a great music source if I can get a cassette adapter that would handle a connection with it to share the music files and folders.

I have to take some time off, have surgery on March 9th to fix a hernia so I will be recovering the month of March.

More later, need to run to the store.