Throttle/push cable issue

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
YourJere
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan VN900 Classic LT

Throttle/push cable issue

Post by YourJere »

My throttle cable broke, and I ordered a replacement for $15 on ebay,
the pull cable seems alright.
But the push cable is no where near long enough for some reason. There are zero kinks, and its too short even when I put it on the handle and then directly to the carb, not routing it anywhere. Just straight to it. And there are no adjusters on this cable. Id say Id need about 3 inches or more of slack to be able to use it, and if its on, the throttle is held wide open.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: Throttle/push cable issue

Post by Maz »

YourJere wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:56 pm
My throttle cable broke, and I ordered a replacement for $15 on ebay,
the pull cable seems alright.
But the push cable is no where near long enough for some reason. There are zero kinks, and its too short even when I put it on the handle and then directly to the carb, not routing it anywhere. Just straight to it. And there are no adjusters on this cable. Id say Id need about 3 inches or more of slack to be able to use it, and if its on, the throttle is held wide open.
Wrong cable?
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

YourJere
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan VN900 Classic LT

Post by YourJere »

Maybe, but the only way to be sure would be to have someone with the correct cable measure the amount of metal cable that pulls out. Mine I should probably start with giving the measurement of mine later,
but i specifically mean pulling all of the metal cable slack out on one end and measuring it (under 10 inches) and not the whole few feet of cable. I'd measure my own but it is broken, so I will likely ask someone on ebay with a used oem push cable, and if my new cable is wrong I'll try to get a refund on the one I bought.

Other than that do you know of any guaranteed fit cable for my 77 gl1000. My old one had an adjuster in the middle. New one doesn't

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

YourJere wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:50 pm
Maybe, but the only way to be sure would be to have someone with the correct cable measure the amount of metal cable that pulls out. Mine I should probably start with giving the measurement of mine later,
but i specifically mean pulling all of the metal cable slack out on one end and measuring it (under 10 inches) and not the whole few feet of cable. I'd measure my own but it is broken, so I will likely ask someone on ebay with a used oem push cable, and if my new cable is wrong I'll try to get a refund on the one I bought.

Other than that do you know of any guaranteed fit cable for my 77 gl1000. My old one had an adjuster in the middle. New one doesn't
If the new one doesn't have an adjuster on it, then it's definitely the wrong cable. You will also have great difficulty getting it installed without the adjuster (even if it is the correct length to begin with).