Only right carbs getting fuel

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
waldedg
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing GL1100

Only right carbs getting fuel

Post by waldedg »

Hi everyone,
Restoring a 1983 GL1100 Interstate. Was my Father-in-laws, he downed it over 15 years ago and it hasn't ran since.

I have totally cleaned and rebuilt all 4 carbs. and put everything back together. Bike was running very rough. Took it back apart and found that the right 2 carbs had fuel in the bowls and the left 2 were bone dry.

I separated the right and left half and made sure the fuel tube was in place. Is there an o-ring that goes on the ends of the fuel tube?

Any help would be great.

Doug

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, now riding.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; nearing completion.

Re: Only right carbs getting fuel

Post by winguyjo »

yes, but it seems to me that if they weren't there, there would be fuel spilling all over the place.
you didn't specifically say, so i have to ask ... did you look/spray/blow through the crossover tube to ensure that it is clear ?

waldedg

Post by waldedg »

There is no fuel leakage coming from the carbs.
When I took the carbs apart I checked the tube and it is clear. It is loose in the chamber that it sits in, which is why I asked about o-rings. I do not remember removing any when I first took it apart. and when I look at a parts diagram, I do not see that any are used.

Where do the o-rings go?

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

If you didn't totally strip each carb fully apart and boil clean or ultrasonic clean that is where you need to start as there are tiny ports in each carb that hardened fuel blocks the passages. Spray cleaning doesn't do it.

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

+1 on the total carb rebuild ^^
If the cross tube is clear, and it doesn't have an O-ring, and it is not spraying fuel, then the blockage is inside Carb #3 probably. Any Wing that has sat for 15 yrs needs a total carb rebuild (and tank clean, and fuel lines, etc. etc.) Check the DIY articles and order a Randakk's kit, and prepare to take some time and patience. It's the only way, or you'll be fighting carb problems forever. Good luck, and keep us posted, or ask questions as you go. Don't be intimidated, but it does take patience to go thru them correctly. There is no "miracle in a can" solution.

winguyjo
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, now riding.

Post by winguyjo »

i forget which is main fuel feed and which is accelerator pump, but you get the idea ...

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid »

OK....... if I understand correctly what the OP is stating is the right carbs (#3 and #1) are getting fuel and the left carbs (#2 and #4) are not. And the "Fuel Tube" the OP is referring to is the "red straw" that is in the Accelerator pump circuit in the plenum and not referring to the transfer tubes between carbs 1 and 3 and 2 and 4.

So to answer your question about O-rings..... there are no 0-rings on the tube (straw) in the plenum.

As far as the left side being dry, trace the fuel passages. Fuel gets from carb 3 to carb 2 through the plenum and then from 2 to 4 through the larger transfer tube (3 feeds 1 through the large transfer tube). Do not forget to check the filter screens on the float needle jet. Ans it is always best to check fuel flow to all four carbs prior to installing back on the bike. Also check that all four accelerator jets are squirting and that there are no leaks.

Bet of luck !!!

winguyjo

Post by winguyjo »

COMPLETELY forgot about the "straw". things are making more sense now; thanks.

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

Funny how several members (me included) can read the same post and visualize different conditions. Statements about separating left & right, and fuel "tube" can lead to different conclusions. I too forgot about the red straw when thinking about fuel tubes. True, the red straw (or other color if someone has been in there substituting parts) does not have O-rings. Its purpose is to reduce the cross-section or volume of that passage so the accel pump can more easily generate a squirt in the farther carbs.
But the red straw would not explain the dry bowls on #2 & #4. That still points to a blockage in #3. There are so many different passages and small ports on these carbs that many DIYers don't even know their existence, much less patient enough to really get them clean.
However, we might all be talking to each other, because the OP hasn't replied in days. But he may just be busy, or making good progress on his own. While a lot of my own experience has come from my solo research and tinkering, the support on this forum is amazing.

waldedg

Post by waldedg »

Wow guys, thanks for the feed back and sorry I have not got back to you all.

I was referring to the red straw/tube, and wish that was the issue (easy to get to and resolve).

I did do a "total" rebuild of all carbs. Soaked each of them in carb cleaner at least over night. Use a spray cleaner and tooth brush (not mine, the kids ...lol) to help clear out any gunk. Soaked and cleaned all other parts.

But I am a diy guy, so I could have missed something. I will get back into Carb #3 and let you know what I find. It may be a few days before I get to it.

Thanks you all for your patients and help.