Headset Plugs

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
lasvegasal
Motorcycle: GL-1800 2014

Headset Plugs

Post by lasvegasal »

Hello friends - well my Z style J&M headset plugs that are located in the center of the cord no longer seems to push together nice and tight. The pins are not bent and everything looks clean. Takes very little to separate and cause an audio cut out. Years ago someone sold a small rubber band device that held both plugs tight. Are these still available in the world?? I was also thinking of chopping off the proprietary plugs and replacing them with a standard 5 pin din - much larger pins that will not bend etc.. Anyone have any luck with this thought?? Appreciate comments - ride safe and long.

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Headset Plugs

Post by newday777 »

I never liked those connectors they came with either. I had one headset with it and got rid of it as it popped off easy also. Why j&m didn't have a click lock on it to keep it together??? No idea... They should have.
If you are talking of using the metal 5 pin din connector, that'll be a heavy weight added.
Sorry no suggestion on what to use. I got rid of the wired headsets and went BT.

lasvegasal

Post by lasvegasal »

Appreciate the reply - On my previous wing I replaced the J&M propriety plugs with standard 5 pin din plugs and it worked great - really cant feel any weight difference and those plugs can take a beating.. Guess it's time to do some "snip, solder and smile"...

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

If you intend to snip and solder anyway, why not just eliminate the plug in the center of the cord totally. Turn it into one length. The headsets I use are a single run of line from the helmet to the connector on the bike, and I have never had a single failure. Knock on wood.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

lasvegasal

Post by lasvegasal »

Point taken and thanks for the suggestion. I have grown accustomed to unplugging mud cable to prevent walking around with a dangly cable. I won’t unplug at the helmet as those little pins and the housing they are in are not repairable. Thanks any ways.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

lasvegasal wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:08 pm
I have grown accustomed to unplugging mud cable to prevent walking around with a dangly cable.
Okay, I get that. Yeah, I just walk around with the cable thrown over my shoulder, but rarely, as mostly I leave the helmet with the bike. Our rest stops here have outdoor toilets, so the cable over the shoulder keeps it out of trouble and gets the job done. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

lasvegasal

Post by lasvegasal »

You’ve given me something to consider - thanks.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

If you are really contemplating replacing the connector, here is an option to start you thinking.

These are on Amazon for $12.88 for a set of 5.
https://www.amazon.com/BTF-LIGHTING-Pla ... B01LCV8SYK

I am certain there are many many options. You just have to do some research.

If it were me, I might consider smearing some liquid rubber, like Liquid Electrical Tape, on the perimeter of the plastic mating surfaces of the connector. Of course, be careful not to get any on the electrical contacts.

Or maybe a thin layer of some RTV silicone sealant. Both of these should give a bit of friction to the plastic surfaces to keep them from pulling apart.

Or, use some heat shrink tubing to hold the connector together. Then just unplug at the 5 pin DIN connector on the bike when you disconnect.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

lasvegasal

Post by lasvegasal »

Heat shrink! Many great ideas to try. Thanks.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Never had an issue with the small in line plugs myself, have a few. Just use two hands and care when plugging & unplugging.

What I do at the helmet end is drill a small hole near the helmet edge beside the cord, wrap a bit of tape or split small hose on the cord, and use a small zip tie to secure the cord in place so there is no pulling on the angled small plug at the helmet connector.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

lasvegasal

Post by lasvegasal »

We are generally very cautious when using these plugs. They are over 8-9 years old so age may play a factor. Thank you for the suggestion.

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

lasvegasal wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:05 pm
We are generally very cautious when using these plugs. They are over 8-9 years old so age may play a factor. Thank you for the suggestion.
The tension of the plastic is what holds that connection together - than and the keyed shape of the male/female end.

The *other* function is more of a safety concern. If you were to become involved in an accident that separates you from proximity of the bike, you certainly don't want the connectors acting as a restraint.

Think of what would happen if cable slack goes away and you are going one direction while the motorcycle is going in another direction.

Just a thought...

• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog