Rebuild engine or replace?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Chiller449
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Rebuild engine or replace?

Post by Chiller449 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:10 pm

Hey all,
My 82 gl1100 smokes terribly on startup out of the left exhaust pipe. (Kick stand side) and compared to the right pipe has very low exhaust pressure. I’m sure the piston rings are shot. I’ve read since you have to pull the engine and split the case to change the rings most people just buy a new engine. Is this the right way to go? Or should I rebuild? If I rebuild can someone recommend a kit? I can’t seem to find one on ebay that has the piston rings. If I should replace the motor does anyone have a motor for sale that don’t smoke? Again I can’t seem to find one on eBay for less than $700. Thanks!

pushinold
Motorcycle: 2014 Victory Vegas
1994 Yamaha Virago 535
1994 Yamaha Virago 750
1982 Honda GL 500
1980 Honda GL1100

Re: Rebuild engine or replace?

Post by pushinold » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:37 pm

I found a set of rings for my GL1100 here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GL1100-7 ... 2749.l2649
I haven't started my rebuild yet as I am still looking for a decent gasket set.
Proud owner of:
2014 Victory Vegas :twisted:
1980 Honda GL1100 :)
1982 Honda GL500 :D
1994 Yamaha Virago 535 :lol:
1994 Yamaha Virago 750 :lol:

Chiller449

Post by Chiller449 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:51 pm

Thanks for the link. I wonder if there is a guide to doing a rebuild. Would be nice to have something to go off of instead of going in blind.

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:52 pm

I have had my 83 since 95 and it does the same thing. Smokes on start up and clears as soon as it is warmed up. My opinion is oil is migrating past the rings while the engine is shut down and is pushed into the exhaust upon start up and it is the oil in the exhaust that is burning. Having checked plugs and compression several times in the past and no faults exist. There is no discernible drop in oil level between changes (5000 mile intervals) so oil loss is not a concern. As long as compression is correct and it runs good I just put gas in it and ride it. Again, just my opinion.

Best of luck !!!

Chiller449

Post by Chiller449 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:29 pm

What is a good compression number? Do you check when the engine is cold or hot?

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:45 pm

I would suggest that you make it a habit to always park the bike on the Center Stand for a few days or whatever.

Then see IF it actually smokes from the left side.

What you are describing is a common phenomena with our bikes, even my '94SE was the same way.

leave it on the side stand overnight, and it would smoke on startup, and a mile later, the smoke is gone.

I seriously doubt the rings are bad.

Compression numbers?
as long as all four cylinders are the same, or within a few pounds of each other, it is good to go.

I suspect with Choke OFF, Throttle tied open, all plugs removed;
you will see numbers between 120 to 150 psi
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

Chiller449

Post by Chiller449 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:48 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:45 pm
I would suggest that you make it a habit to always park the bike on the Center Stand for a few days or whatever.

What you are describing is a common phenomena with our bikes, even my '94SE was the same way.

leave it on the side stand overnight, and it would smoke on startup, and a mile later, the smoke is gone.

Compression numbers?
as long as all four cylinders are the same, or within a few pounds of each other, it is good to go.

Yeah I usually park it on the center stand. A few weeks ago I fired it up and it smoked a lot. I try to park it in the center stand every time possible. I do know about the smoking being a common problem. The bike had almost 40,000 miles on it and figured it was time for a rebuild. I know for a fact the left pipe has always had less pressure than the right. I figured the rings would be causing this or maybe a stuck valve but it runs too good to be a stuck valve I think. I was planning on doing the clutch this spring so I figured I might as well rebuild.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:49 pm

Since you could not find anything on this subject.
Take pics while you do it and post it on here.

Some one else will appreciate it.

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:21 am

Chiller449 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:48 pm
AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:45 pm

Compression numbers?

Yeah I usually park it on the center stand. A few weeks ago I fired it up and it smoked a lot. I try to park it in the center stand every time possible. I do know about the smoking being a common problem. The bike had almost 40,000 miles on it and figured it was time for a rebuild. I know for a fact the left pipe has always had less pressure than the right. I figured the rings would be causing this or maybe a stuck valve but it runs too good to be a stuck valve I think. I was planning on doing the clutch this spring so I figured I might as well rebuild.

Is it white smoke or dark?
Is it sweet smelling and lots of smoke?
I suspect you have a blown headgasket leaking fluid into the cylinders on the left. This is common on the 4 cylinder wings especially after bringing them back to life after a long sleep. Pull the spark plugs and look to see if the left plugs look steam cleaned compared to the right plugs.
While the plugs are out, drape rags over the heads then with kill switch in off position, crank over the motor. Does liquid hit the rags?(note, no rags and liquid will shoot a long distance)

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between

Past rides

Post by newday777 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:30 am

Getting all the parts necessary to do a proper rebuild on these is going to be near impossible. Too many discontinued parts.
The rings could be stuck if the bike sat a long time on the side stand and gas leaked into the cylinders gumming the rings or water in the cylinders(which would be rust and requiring a bore to larger size pistons and rings- discontinued from Honda).
These motors are usually pretty stout. Investigation of the head gaskets first is necessary.
A replacement motor from a local bike wrecking yard would be a far easier way to go.

Chiller449

Post by Chiller449 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:30 am

newday777 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:30 am
Getting all the parts necessary to do a proper rebuild on these is going to be near impossible. Too many discontinued parts.
The rings could be stuck if the bike sat a long time on the side stand and gas leaked into the cylinders gumming the rings or water in the cylinders(which would be rust and requiring a bore to larger size pistons and rings- discontinued from Honda).
These motors are usually pretty stout. Investigation of the head gaskets first is necessary.
A replacement motor from a local bike wrecking yard would be a far easier way to go.
I think I have you guys the wrong idea when I meant hasn’t been started in a long time. I rode it all summer last year. I put it in storage around October. It sat for about a month and I started it again. I try to start it once a month just to keep things fresh. It’s always smoked when starting it cold. Just seemed to smoke a lot more when it sits for a month. It’s always been kept on the service stand. Only time I don’t use the service stand is when I’m getting gas or have to hop off for just a minute. I’m not using any coolant so I think my head gaskets are ok. I am planning on replacing the headgaskets though as the right side is seeping just a tiny bit of oil from the head gasket onto the exhaust header. Well, I’m not really sure if that’s called a head gasket it may be called something else. Piston case gasket? Not sure.

newday777

Past rides

Post by newday777 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:11 am

Well I'm just trying to piece together the history of your bike.
You haven't given the full history of it's life in your posts. You say it "had almost 40,000 miles on it". Is that a mistype and should be 'has almost 40,000 miles on it'?
If so, that is a very low mile 82 and the rings should be fine as these motors were built to go long over 500,000 miles without rebuilding if kept running every year of it's life. Without complete history information we are guessing......
So possibilities of why it's smoking on startup...

1- Unless it wasn't run for a long time before you had it and had a stuck ring from being parked on the side stand with either a stuck float allowing the gas to fill the crankcase with gas and overflow out the case onto the ground gumming the rings then drying out and sticking.
2- Or it could have had a blown headgasket and left unused with liquid in a cylinder and rusted the ring, replaced before you got it(a year ago??? From your past posts since joining here???) Or have a headgasket leaking now, even minimally, leaking into the cylinder(s) will give a whiteish colored sweet smelling smoke on startup and burn off at early stages. Later stages the bike gets hydrolock condition and won't turn over not being able to compress the liquid in the cylinders.
3- Or, (most possibly from age) the valve guide seals are hardened and leak when cold, and seal after the leak by oil burns off. Also a whiteish color though not sweet smelling.
4- Or, you have a carb issue(s), wrong mixture, too much fuel(dark smoke), leaking float valve or improperly set float height. ( thus why I asked the color of the smoke earlier.....)

We cannot diagnose very well when you give short, incomplete information statements. We are not there with you to see and hear the bike nor know the history of it, so it's very hard to 'diagnose it'...... Even looking back through your posts doing detective work through your posts since you joined here.....you have past posts that were not finalized with end results left hanging unfinished, lacking full disclosure of history and outcomes.

newday777

Past rides

Post by newday777 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:17 am

Also possible is the cam cover gaskets leaking oil onto the headers burning off.
Or the header donuts leaking exhaust out when cold and sealing as the header metal expands as it heats up. Loose header nuts are a telltale.

Chiller449

Post by Chiller449 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:18 am

newday777 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:11 am
Well I'm just trying to piece together the history of your bike.
You haven't given the full history of it's life in your posts. You say it "had almost 40,000 miles on it". Is that a mistype and should be 'has almost 40,000 miles on it'?
If so, that is a very low mile 82 and the rings should be fine as these motors were built to go long over 500,000 miles without rebuilding if kept running every year of it's life. Without complete history information we are guessing......
So possibilities of why it's smoking on startup...

1- Unless it wasn't run for a long time before you had it and had a stuck ring from being parked on the side stand with either a stuck float allowing the gas to fill the crankcase with gas and overflow out the case onto the ground gumming the rings then drying out and sticking.
2- Or it could have had a blown headgasket and left unused with liquid in a cylinder and rusted the ring, replaced before you got it(a year ago??? From your past posts since joining here???) Or have a headgasket leaking now, even minimally, leaking into the cylinder(s) will give a whiteish colored sweet smelling smoke on startup and burn off at early stages. Later stages the bike gets hydrolock condition and won't turn over not being able to compress the liquid in the cylinders.
3- Or, (most possibly from age) the valve guide seals are hardened and leak when cold, and seal after the leak by oil burns off. Also a whiteish color though not sweet smelling.
4- Or, you have a carb issue(s), wrong mixture, too much fuel(dark smoke), leaking float valve or improperly set float height. ( thus why I asked the color of the smoke earlier.....)

We cannot diagnose very well when you give short, incomplete information statements. We are not there with you to see and hear the bike nor know the history of it, so it's very hard to 'diagnose it'...... Even looking back through your posts doing detective work through your posts since you joined here.....you have past posts that were not finalized with end results left hanging unfinished, lacking full disclosure of history and outcomes.
Alright here’s some background. I bought the bike early last year for 500 bucks. It barely ran. Guy said carbs needed cleaned and was sitting for about 2 years. Took it home and half ass cleaned the carbs. Got the bike running decently. The bike had 32,000 miles on it when I got it. Over the summer I put about 7,000 miles on it. Doing various repairs here and there. New cables, rebuild rear master cylinder, changed oil in front forks, new thermostat and temp sending unit, a few oil changes and some other small things. Before I bought the bike I knew about the smoking problem when leaving it on the kick stand and of course my bike did the same. Smoked for maybe 20 seconds or so and eventually it cleaned out and ran fine. Anyways after the 7000 miles I decided I wasn’t happy with the carbs. I just couldn’t get the bike to run correctly. It would stumble at around 5,000 rpm. So I paid a guy who claimed he could rebuild them 200 bucks to fix it. Turns out he had no idea what he was doing. He half ass cleaned them took the 200 bucks and ran. The bike ran worse than it ever had. So I converted to a single carb set up. Sold the junk carbs on eBay for 200 bucks for parts. That pretty much covered the cost of me getting ripped off by the other guy. I paid 150 for the single carb and manifold. Installed it on the bike and after some tweaking it’s running better than it ever has. No stumbling and has fantastic power. I’m very pleased with the single carb conversion. While I was doing the conversion I converted the coil setup to the dodge neon setup and installed new plugs. I also installed new timing belts. Again, I did a few other small things but the bike has always smoked on startup and was seeming to get worse. Instead of clearing up after 20 seconds it would take sometimes up to a minute now. I ride the bike another 1000 miles after the conversion and it rode fantastic. No problems whatsoever. Once the temp outside dropped below 40 I decided it was time to put it away for winter. I drained the carb ran it out of gas pulled the battery and put it in the service stand. Last month I went and started it and it wouldn’t stop smoking. I ran it until the engine got warm. About 15 minutes. Shut it off and put it back in storage mode. Only reason I made this post was to see if it was possible to put new rings in it to stop the smoking. But it seems I’m just better off running it and dealing with the smoking on startup. I’m guessing it smoked so badly the last time I started it was because more oil than usual had seeped into the cylinders while stored than usual and took longer to burn off. It does leak a bit of oil onto the exhaust. The leak is behind where the exhaust bolts to the head. Right where the case splits. Oh, one of the small things I did to the bike was install new exhaust gaskets while I had the exhaust off wrapping them.

I do have an electronic gauge cluster to put on it this spring as well as new tires
Attachments

What the bike looked like rig he before I put it in storage.
What the bike looked like rig he before I put it in storage.

newday777

Past rides

Post by newday777 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am

Ok. So color of the SMOKE IS????

Chiller449

Post by Chiller449 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:31 am

newday777 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am
Blue. It’s 100% oil. I’m not loosing any coolant and the carb is not flooding the cylinders

newday777

Past rides

Post by newday777 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:44 am

Chiller449 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:31 am
newday777 wrote:
Blue. It’s 100% oil. I’m not loosing any coolant and the carb is not flooding the cylinders
Valve guide seals

Chiller449

Post by Chiller449 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:48 pm

newday777 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:44 am
Chiller449 wrote:
newday777 wrote:
Valve guide seals

How do I replace those? Pull the head? Know of any guides?

newday777

Past rides

Post by newday777 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:50 pm

Chiller449 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:48 pm
newday777 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:44 am
Chiller449 wrote:

Valve guide seals

How do I replace those? Pull the head? Know of any guides?
Typically yes. They are under the valve springs

newday777

Past rides

Post by newday777 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:51 pm

Do you have the service manual for the bike?

Chiller449

Post by Chiller449 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:54 pm

newday777 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:51 pm
Nope hoping to buy one soon. Can I buy the valve seals online somewhere? I’m sure I could probably find info somewhere online on how to change them.

newday777

Past rides

Post by newday777 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Have you looked at the How To Articles on the top of the forum page?

Chiller449

Post by Chiller449 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:02 pm

newday777 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:59 pm
Have you looked at the How To Articles on the top of the forum page?
Checking it out now

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm

Chiller449 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:54 pm
newday777 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:51 pm
Nope hoping to buy one soon. Can I buy the valve seals online somewhere? I’m sure I could probably find info somewhere online on how to change them.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... haft-valve