My 1993 GL1500 won't idle, can someone help me?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
alamogordo_ed
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

My 1993 GL1500 won't idle, can someone help me?

Post by alamogordo_ed » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:36 pm

My 1993 GL1500 won't run unless I increase choke. I have rebuilt the crabs twice. Replaced every vacuum hose I can reach including those underneath the rubber mat. I have rebuilt the petcock valve, I have replaced the spark plugs, I have replaced the temp sensor on the right intake manifold. I have disconnected each spark plug wire with the engine running and the engine was affected by each spark plug. I can't sync the engines because I can't get it to idle. I can't adjust the idle for the same reason. I am at a loss as to what I should do next. I have also replaced the fuel. I am at a loss as to what I should check or do. I am desperate. Can anybody help me?????

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: My 1993 GL1500 won't idle, can someone help me?

Post by bluthundr31 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:56 pm

Have you confirmed that the Timing Belts haven't slipped a tooth (or more?)?

If it still has OEM (original) belts, I would suspect it is time for new ones, (Gates T275) they're cheap and the job is a two to three hour job.

ALSO, , do a quick check on the fuel filter and replace it if clogged. Do the same with the Air Filter.

alamogordo_ed

Post by alamogordo_ed » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:36 pm

Thank you for your post. I forgot to mention that I replaced the fuel and air filters. I haven't checked the timing belts but they only have 41000 miles on them. I will check the belts on Monday. If it would only be that simple. Any other help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:39 am

The 41K miles isn't the main reason for checking the timing belts, , the fact that those belts are probably 27 years old is the most relevant factor. 27 yr old belts with 41K can "look" perfect but the "BEST" idea is to put on new ones and make sure the timing marks line up correctly. You've done a very good job with the upper end, but with the results you're getting, , its time to check out the lower end.

It'd be helpful to get some history on the bike too, like;

A) When was it ridden last and how did it run
B) Is the bike "new-to-you" or have you owned it since it was new (have maintenance records?)
C) What prompted you to tackle the carbs/hoses/petcock/filters

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike
1995 Kawasaki gt550 Trike

Post by terryt » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:21 am

What did you set the air pilot screws setting to

alamogordo_ed

Post by alamogordo_ed » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:59 pm

Well, I will try to answer your questions as best I can. I bought the wing in 2002 with approximately 34000 miles on it. It has always had a slight (+or- 100 rpm) rpm fluctuation so a year later I rebuilt the carbs and replaced the vacuum line underneath the rubber mat because it had a tiny hole in it. I replaced the spark plugs, timing belts, fuel filter, air filter which improved the idle but it still fluctuates. Otherwise she ran great so I rode her like crazy. Gas mileage was in the 20's. A couple of years ago I had some medical problems and I couldn't ride regularly. I occasionally did ride but not very often and everything was fine until about 4 weeks ago when I tried to start her and I could barely get her to run but I had to use almost full choke. I tried seafoam and I even replaced the fuel in the tank. Still no help. So a couple weeks ago I figured the carbs are gummed up so I pulled them out and rebuilt them. Put the carbs back in, started her up. No improvement, in fact maybe a little worse. By the way, she starts wonderfully, she just won't idle and sounds like she is missing. That's why I changed the plugs and even disconnected each plug wire one at time to make sure they were all firing. Since she is running a little worse, I figured I must have done something wrong so I pulled the carbs and rebuilt them again. I changed every vacuum line I could get to, including under the rubber mat. I also replaced the temperature sensor on the right intact manifold mentioned in another post. I put the carbs back in but still have the same problem.
I did not mess with the pilot screws. I didn't turn them at all let alone remove them.

I did all this work because she won't run unless I apply lots of choke and then she still doesn't run good. So I rebuilt the carbs. When that didn't help I rebuilt the petcock valve in case it might not be working properly especially with over 96000 miles on her now. The timing belts are 18 years old with approximately 41000 miles on them. A lot of sitting over the last few years so maybe the belts need replaced.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for your help.

alamogordo_ed

Post by alamogordo_ed » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:01 pm

I am not sure what air pilot screws are. I am assuming you mean the pilot screws and like I said, I didn't touch them.

terryt
1989 gl1500 trike

Post by terryt » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:44 pm

alamogordo_ed wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:01 pm
I am not sure what air pilot screws are. I am assuming you mean the pilot screws and like I said, I didn't touch them.
When you say you rebuilt the carbs twice. did you completed strip them all jet taken out cleaned all the jet and small holes and air ways ?
The two air jet in the front of the carb.

alamogordo_ed

Post by alamogordo_ed » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:14 pm

Well, I will try to answer your questions as best I can. I bought the wing in 2002 with approximately 34000 miles on it. It has always had a slight (+or- 100 rpm) rpm fluctuation so a year later I rebuilt the carbs and replaced the vacuum line underneath the rubber mat because it had a tiny hole in it. I replaced the spark plugs, timing belts, fuel filter, air filter which improved the idle but it still fluctuates. Otherwise she ran great so I rode her like crazy. Gas mileage was in the 20's. A couple of years ago I had some medical problems and I couldn't ride regularly. I occasionally did ride but not very often and everything was fine until about 4 weeks ago when I tried to start her and I could barely get her to run but I had to use almost full choke. I tried seafoam and I even replaced the fuel in the tank. Still no help. So a couple weeks ago I figured the carbs are gummed up so I pulled them out and rebuilt them. Put the carbs back in, started her up. No improvement, in fact maybe a little worse. By the way, she starts wonderfully, she just won't idle and sounds like she is missing. That's why I changed the plugs and even disconnected each plug wire one at time to make sure they were all firing. Since she is running a little worse, I figured I must have done something wrong so I pulled the carbs and rebuilt them again. I changed every vacuum line I could get to, including under the rubber mat. I also replaced the temperature sensor on the right intact manifold mentioned in another post. I put the carbs back in but still have the same problem.
I did not mess with the pilot screws. I didn't turn them at all let alone remove them.

I did all this work because she won't run unless I apply lots of choke and then she still doesn't run good. So I rebuilt the carbs. When that didn't help I rebuilt the petcock valve in case it might not be working properly especially with over 96000 miles on her now. The timing belts are 18 years old with approximately 41000 miles on them. A lot of sitting over the last few years so maybe the belts need replaced.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for your help.

alamogordo_ed

Post by alamogordo_ed » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:40 pm

When I say rebuilt, I mean I removed all the jets that are removable EXCEPT the pilot screws. I didn't touch the pilot screws. I flushed every passage using carb cleaner and air pressure. I visually confirmed the jets passages are open. I replaced the float valves including the needles and the floats. I confirmed the float level adjustment is set at 8mm. I put in new o rings where needed. I rebuilt the accelerator pump. I disassembled the vacuum chambers, cleaned them and inspected the diaphragms for pin holes. I removed the main jet and the slow jet. Cleaned them and flushed the passages with carb cleaner and air.

terryt
1989 gl1500 trike

Post by terryt » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:51 am

alamogordo_ed wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:40 pm
When I say rebuilt, I mean I removed all the jets that are removable EXCEPT the pilot screws. I didn't touch the pilot screws. I flushed every passage using carb cleaner and air pressure. I visually confirmed the jets passages are open. I replaced the float valves including the needles and the floats. I confirmed the float level adjustment is set at 8mm. I put in new o rings where needed. I rebuilt the accelerator pump. I disassembled the vacuum chambers, cleaned them and inspected the diaphragms for pin holes. I removed the main jet and the slow jet. Cleaned them and flushed the passages with carb cleaner and air.
The pilot jet could be gummed up

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:40 pm

alamogordo_ed wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:14 pm
Well, I will try to answer your questions as best I can. I bought the wing in 2002 with approximately 34000 miles on it. It has always had a slight (+or- 100 rpm) rpm fluctuation so a year later I rebuilt the carbs and replaced the vacuum line underneath the rubber mat because it had a tiny hole in it. I replaced the spark plugs, timing belts, fuel filter, air filter which improved the idle but it still fluctuates. Otherwise she ran great so I rode her like crazy. Gas mileage was in the 20's. A couple of years ago I had some medical problems and I couldn't ride regularly. I occasionally did ride but not very often and everything was fine until about 4 weeks ago when I tried to start her and I could barely get her to run but I had to use almost full choke. Since she is running a little worse, I figured I must have done something wrong so I pulled the carbs and rebuilt them again.
Since it has been setting I would bet the idle jets are partially plugged. No amount of carb clean and air will remove the cement like residue. Just replace them with OEM Keihin.
Pay me now or pay me later and replace the float bowl gaskets also.
https://www.jetsrus.com/individual_part ... 85_su.html
Open the idle mixture screws 1/8-1/4 turn CCW next time you have the carbs out.
Last edited by ct1500 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

alamogordo_ed

Post by alamogordo_ed » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:01 pm

I checked the timing belts and they are spot on. Since I am that far into it though, I am going to go ahead and replace the belts. I have also ordered new gaskets for the timing belt covers just to ensure a good seal. The old gaskets are pretty hard. I will also pull the carbs back out and replace the pilot screws since that is the only thing I haven't done on the carbs. The parts are on order and we will see.

Is there anything else anyone can think of? I like to think I am a fair DIY mechanic but every one misses something once in a while. My ego won't be bruised so please any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for all the help offered so far.

Road Ranger
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Goldwing

Post by Road Ranger » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:32 pm

It sounds like a clogged jet to me also, need to be choked to idle shows a lean id!e mixture as others have mentioned make sure all passages in the carb body are open, I had to soak the carbs on my daughter 's 550 for a couple of days and still had to clean with a torch cleaning wire. Afterword the bike ran like new. The gas we have today will turn into varnish in thev tiny passages in the cards and starve the bike for fuel. You should check your plugs if you are idling on almost full choke they should show signs of running rich. If your plugs look normal or white you have a fuel problem. All so check for vacuum leaks which will cause this also.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Glad to hear the timing belts were correct, , and changing the belts will be a piece of cake.

I tend to agree that the pilot/idle screws need to be checked/replaced AND those float bowl gaskets should be changed out.