SHIPPING

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
brianaber
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

SHIPPING

Post by brianaber » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:11 am

HI , WANTING TO SHIP A 1990 GL1500 SE FROM HOUSTON TEXAS TO SAVANNAH PORT IN GA , CAN ANY ONE RECOMMEND A RELIABLE SHIPPER ??
THANKS FOR READING THIS REQUEST
BRIAN ABER (ISRAEL )

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Re: SHIPPING

Post by Sadanorakman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:38 am

I can't, as I'm in the UK, but after shipping my GL1500 2000 miles by container, by land and sea, be VERY careful about your shipping arrangements, as these bikes are so easily damaged by the kind of mindless idiots who are likely to handle your prized possession en-route.

For example, if the bike needs pushing to be moved or steadied, people immediately reach for the trunk-lid luggage carrier to use as a grab-point. This will cause serious damage. The bike will need strapping down with care also, both front and rear, such as removing the side-covers, and tying directly to the frame.

Most 'professional' courier companies I contacted wouldn't touch the bike unless they built a crate around it first. Unfortunately the crating-up was going to cost me the equivalent of $1000 on a bike I had only spent $1500 on, so was way beyond my budget. I settled for a small company that would man-handle the bike into a shipping container, strap it down, and supposedly place mattresses around it etc to protect it from other peoples personal belongings that were being shipped.

The result was a mostly intact bike, but minor scratches and scuffs in various areas where they weren't before shipping, a snapped CB antenna, and a cracked trunk-lid. A highway peg trashed, and what looks to be a damaged Mirror mounting. The shipping handler I personally collected the bike from in order to trailer it the last 100 miles myself was a complete idiot. He was basically a dock-yard laborer with huge hard calloused hands the size of spades... Thick as two short planks. He had unloaded the bike from the container, and had absolutely ZERO appreciation about how these delicate bikes should be handled/treated. His attitude was pretty care-free too. When I started to point out the damage to him, he frankly didn't give a ****.

regards
Every day's a school day....What have you learned today?

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: SHIPPING

Post by newday777 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:42 am