Smell of gas after top shelter removal


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Post Reply
cpsmith21
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:04 pm
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 2004 Gold Wing GL1800

Smell of gas after top shelter removal

Post by cpsmith21 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:33 am



So I recently replaced my front and rear speakers as well as adding LED headlamps from EC. I removed the top shelter and had no problem with the reinstall. I now smell gas when I slow down or stop. This is the second time I have removed and reinstalled the top shelter, no smell of gas on the first.

What could it be?

Thanks in advance for your help.......



User avatar
tamathumper
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:02 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: Smell of gas after top shelter removal

Post by tamathumper » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:14 am

Is it possible that you pinched the vent hose at the top of the tank, or dislodged it entirely so that fuel is spilling out the hole and onto the top of the tank?
'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

User avatar
Ghostman
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 am
Location: Midwest
Motorcycle: gl1800

Re: Smell of gas after top shelter removal

Post by Ghostman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:30 am

Ill agree with the other gentleman,check the vent hose routing. Dont ask me how I know :D :D

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 1544
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Smell of gas after top shelter removal

Post by newday777 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 am

On what bike??? You call your repair shop and what is the 1st thing they ask you when you ask a question like you did?

cpsmith21
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:04 pm
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 2004 Gold Wing GL1800

Re: Smell of gas after top shelter removal

Post by cpsmith21 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:26 pm

Ghostman wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:30 am
Ill agree with the other gentleman,check the vent hose routing. Dont ask me how I know :D :D
Thank you I will check that.

cpsmith21
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:04 pm
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 2004 Gold Wing GL1800

Re: Smell of gas after top shelter removal

Post by cpsmith21 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:27 pm

tamathumper wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:14 am
Is it possible that you pinched the vent hose at the top of the tank, or dislodged it entirely so that fuel is spilling out the hole and onto the top of the tank?
Thank you I will check that.

cpsmith21
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:04 pm
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 2004 Gold Wing GL1800

Re: Smell of gas after top shelter removal

Post by cpsmith21 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:30 pm

newday777 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 am
On what bike??? You call your repair shop and what is the 1st thing they ask you when you ask a question like you did?
I guess you don't look at the profile to the right of the post...it is there in black ink......'04 GL1800

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 1544
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Smell of gas after top shelter removal

Post by newday777 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:31 pm

cpsmith21 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:30 pm
newday777 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 am
On what bike??? You call your repair shop and what is the 1st thing they ask you when you ask a question like you did?
I guess you don't look at the profile to the right of the post...it is there in black ink......'04 GL1800
Shouldn't have to.

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 1544
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Smell of gas after top shelter removal

Post by newday777 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:31 pm

newday777 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:31 pm
cpsmith21 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:30 pm
newday777 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 am
On what bike??? You call your repair shop and what is the 1st thing they ask you when you ask a question like you did?
I guess you don't look at the profile to the right of the post...it is there in black ink......'04 GL1800
Shouldn't have to.
Some people have more than one bike too....

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 1544
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Smell of gas after top shelter removal

Post by newday777 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:33 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :!: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Attachments



User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 1977 Honda 550K. Sold.
1986 1200 Aspencade. Purchased as a non current brand new in the box 1988. Sold.
2006 1800 Goldwing
2017 BMW 1200 GS Adventure...

Re: Smell of gas after top shelter removal

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:08 am

newday777 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:33 pm
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :!: :roll: :roll: :roll:
hahaha almost spit my coffee out..LOL! :lol:

User avatar
GoldWingrGreg
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am
Location: Zephyrhills, Florida
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)
Contact:

Re: Smell of gas after top shelter removal

Post by GoldWingrGreg » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:29 am

newday777 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 am
On what bike??? You call your repair shop and what is the 1st thing they ask you when you ask a question like you did?
Make, model, and year is always helpful !!! Doesn't it drive ya nut that many people think we know what they ride ??? Next the OP is gonna say it's "that it's in his avatar," but we've learned to not trust that !!! For all we know he's asking about his buddies bike.

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 1544
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Smell of gas after top shelter removal

Post by newday777 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:31 am

GoldWingrGreg wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:29 am
newday777 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 am
On what bike??? You call your repair shop and what is the 1st thing they ask you when you ask a question like you did?
Make, model, and year is always helpful !!! Doesn't it drive ya nut that many people think we know what they ride ??? Next the OP is gonna say it's "that it's in his avatar," but we've learned to not trust that !!! For all we know he's asking about his buddies bike.
Totally necessary.....



Post Reply