Pros and cons of back off brake unit

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Pros and cons of back off brake unit

Post by Swagonmaster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:40 am

I am installing a backoff brake unit w/o any instructions and while I've figured out how it should be wired I can't decide if I want to make all of the brake lights flash or just two. Anyone got any suggestions?

Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Pros and cons of back off brake unit

Post by CrystalPistol » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:19 pm

Did you get the 1009?

I favored Mode2 just using the two brake lights in the travel trunk, left & right. This mode emits a 4 alternating 'wig-wag' flashes to each brake light, followed by 3 flashes of both brake lights … and then a steady brake light until the brakes are released.

I do not want my brake lights to start flashing again once stopped. I watch the mirrors, I can restart the pattern with the brake pedal or lever if I think needed, but if a maybe preoccupied driver behind me at a light sees my brake lights go off , the driver may be startled and start to move thinking I am.

I put one on my '85 GL1200 also. The 1200 did not have a spoiler or spoiler light. On the 1200, I only hooked it in with the same two brake lights mounted in the trunk light ... leaving the lower brake lights to come on & stay on.

On the trike, I have a separate spoiler mounted LED brake light controller, controller is under trunk, two wires, just controls spoiler light. It flashes 3 or so times, then goes solid red too.

My lower fender mount brake lights come on solid red, stay solid red as long as pedal or lever is actuated. In the lower "light bar/bumper" of the trike are 6 trapezoid shaped lights, each has two bulbs. The 6 lower bulbs are wired with the running or "tail" lights, the 6 upper bulbs are wired in with the two fender mount brake lights.

This set up complies with law … as I have brake lamps that come on and stay on brightly with brakes, much as drivers behind expect, while the short flashes of the trunk lights grabs their attention … on application … & at eye level too!
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:36 pm

That's what I was thinking, just do the trunk lights, have the best of both worlds. Thanks for the advice.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:26 pm

Often when anticipating a stop, not an emergency, but for a light or stop sign, etc … I'll pull the front brake lever just activate the sequence, hold lightly for 3-4 seconds, release & re-apply when actually slowing. You will likely hear it working in your headset, I know I do.

I have some wiring diagrams, reason I asked about model #. Maybe you already found them on line?

Take Care …

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:53 pm

The unit was installed by the po with a trailer hitch and somewhere along the way it got disconnected. It was literally plugged into itself with no input from the bike. I have a Honda manual so I have a wiring diagram but couldn't decide what lights to operate with it. All of this was caused by the wires to the trailer plug coming loose when I had the rear wheel off to replace the tire and I realized the lights below the tag weren't working and round and around I went.

1goldwingnut
Motorcycle: 95 20th anniversary GL1500A

Post by 1goldwingnut » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:56 pm

PO's Ya gotta love em.

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:02 pm

Oh, I guess you know then that … not all the wires get used?

With the WIG-WAG one (#1009) you choose the Orange input for Mode 2 … or … the Red input for Mode 1, but the unused input get's capped off. Output side … RED with white tracer to a right brake light & the WHITE with red tracer wire to a left brake light.

With the XP (#1004) you choose the Mode by your choice of output wires, either the RED with white tracer (mode 2)or the WHITE with red tracer wire (mode1). Solid Red is input.

Black to chassis ground on both Wig-Wag & XP versions.

Also, I see they rated them at 10 amp draw to lights.

Take Care :)

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 pm

I guess this one is an antique, it only has two wires. Easy.

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:25 pm

Two wires total or two wires plus ground?

The one on my spoiler LED is total three wires, one black comes in for grounding it, a red one ties to a brake lamp, third goes to spoiler brake light side.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:42 pm

Had a backoff setup to wigwag on my bike for awhile. Worked good and never had any issues with LEOs. It was actually the opposite. I had LEOs follow me short distances when i happened to coincidentally be near a traffic accidents thinking i was a patrol bike. They quickly realized what i was and moved past me but i that never sat well with me so i unhooked it. I still have a trailblazer hooked up to my spoiler and thats enough for me. Truth is i had people tailgate me with and without the wigwag connected. And having a vehicle hit me from behind was and is my biggest worry. I can post up a youtube video of my bike with the wigwag if its any help. They arent too hard to wire in. :)
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:43 pm

CrystalPistol wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:25 pm

The one on my spoiler LED is total three wires, one black comes in for grounding it, a red one ties to a brake lamp, third goes to spoiler brake light side.
Mine has two wires total, one in one out.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:53 pm

I'm thinkin maybe mine has 4 wires. 1 ground 1 power and 1 wire for the different modes you can use.

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:15 pm

Swagonmaster wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:43 pm
CrystalPistol wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:25 pm

Mine has two wires total, one in one out.
No ground huh? Odd how that will … if it does … work?

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:31 am

Not sure how but it gives three short flashes then a long one and then repeats. Not sure if it has a limit on how many cycles it does this or if it just continues till you get off the brake, so far I think it continues. The original owner really farkeled the bike back in 1990 so it could be that old.