Oil Leak After Tire Change

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Jesus1st
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Goldwing GL1200

Oil Leak After Tire Change

Post by Jesus1st » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:02 pm

Hi All,
I recently got a new set of tires, and had them mounted, balanced, and Installed. About a week or two later I noticed I have some oil on the right side of the bike.

Since I was installing New tires I went ahead & did the rebuild (Super easy) my self. I was VERY careful about the oil level! LOL. Anyway I ran it a few weeks before I received my tires so I have no reason to think the oil may be from it. However there is signs of oil on the shock as well as right at the joint of the "Driveshaft Tube" & the rear-end, where the 4 bolts are.

Based on the info any ideas?? I really don't want to pull the shaft and start messing about there if I can avoid it.

Thanks all for the Help, really looking forward to what you all can suggest.

Keep the Sunny side UP !

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Oil Leak After Tire Change

Post by CrystalPistol » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:02 pm

What did you rebuild?

Did you take your wheels off and have someone put tires on them, and then did you put the wheels back on?

If you did all this, did you maybe check or add rear gear lubricant?

Again, what did you do?
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:43 pm

How did you run it for a few weeks without tires? What did you rebuild, the engine?? The only thing I understand is that you replaced the tires.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:56 am

Yeah! Very confusing.

Jesus1st

Post by Jesus1st » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:01 pm

Sorry All, I think faster than I type ( LOL only use 1 thumb, hehe)

I Rebuilt my Shocks right after I ordered the tires. In the mean time (AFTER I rebuilt shocks), while WAITING on new tires, I rode around on the old set with fresh shocks for about a week. Plenty of time for the shocks to show signs of overfilling or blown seal.

When I got the New tires I took the Whole bike in to a local shop and had the tires "mounted, balanced, & installed". I have no clue what they would "Normally" do at the shop in the way of rear-end lube, one would hope that did what ever is REQUIRED... huh, yeah.

SO I hope this helps clear things up.

I have never unbolted the rear-end from the driveshaft housing (again looks like only 4 bolts) before, so I don't know if there is a gasket or seal that may have been damaged, or IF they installed something "IMPROPERLY". For that matter I have no idea IF there is regular "Gear Oil" in there, or just grease, or what have you. That is why I am reaching out to YOU the Back-Yard experts with REAL world experience, NOT shop/book knowledge.

Again That's so much to all of you.

Jesus1st

Post by Jesus1st » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:24 pm

Well I can say one thing for certain...
IF, you want to get attention, leave out Important details... this is GUARANTEED to get the attention of the TROLLS at the very least!

Unfortunately I see that by adding the missing details ONLY succeeded in shutting up the trolls, and failed to attract the MUCH needed assistance of those who TRUELY are here to help.

Never the less, I bumped this post in hopes that I can get someone with a little knowledge & experience in this matter to reply.

SO Good riding to ALL & Keep the Sunnyside UP !!

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:16 am

Jesus1st wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:24 pm
IF, you want to get attention, leave out Important details... this is GUARANTEED to get the attention of the TROLLS at the very least!

Unfortunately I see that by adding the missing details ONLY succeeded in shutting up the trolls, and failed to attract the MUCH needed assistance of those who TRUELY are here to help.

Never the less, I bumped this post in hopes that I can get someone with a little knowledge & experience in this matter to reply.

SO Good riding to ALL & Keep the Sunnyside UP !!
Jesus1st wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:01 pm
Sorry All, I think faster than I type ( LOL only use 1 thumb, hehe)

I Rebuilt my Shocks right after I ordered the tires. In the mean time (AFTER I rebuilt shocks), while WAITING on new tires, I rode around on the old set with fresh shocks for about a week. Plenty of time for the shocks to show signs of overfilling or blown seal.

When I got the New tires I took the Whole bike in to a local shop and had the tires "mounted, balanced, & installed". I have no clue what they would "Normally" do at the shop in the way of rear-end lube, one would hope that did what ever is REQUIRED... huh, yeah.

SO I hope this helps clear things up.

I have never unbolted the rear-end from the driveshaft housing (again looks like only 4 bolts) before, so I don't know if there is a gasket or seal that may have been damaged, or IF they installed something "IMPROPERLY". For that matter I have no idea IF there is regular "Gear Oil" in there, or just grease, or what have you. That is why I am reaching out to YOU the Back-Yard experts with REAL world experience, NOT shop/book knowledge.

Again That's so much to all of you.
What kind of oil is it? If it is shock oil, it is a very light weight oil commonly 10w, feels a bit like some melted butter when you rub it between your fingers. If it is final drive gear oil, it is heavy weight 80w hypoid gear oil with a very distinctive smell. If you don't know, try to find out by a friend or someone that would be able to tell. On my bike the lower part of the shock is right over where the drive shaft housing bolts to the final drive. It would really help to know what kind of oil you are losing. I use ATF type-F for shock oil, it is simply 10w hydraulic oil with red dye added so one can see what oil is leaking.

I don't know what a troll is, but the people that posted questions have always helped me figure things out eventually, even when I didn't supply enough info at first. They are a bunch of very experienced Goldwingers whom I respect a bunch.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me because I don't always see replies to topics I follow, which may be the case for the others, not sure.

One last thing before the pictures, if you didn't tell the shop to do the moly 60 (m-77) paste about 16 bucks for 2.75 ounces, I would bet they did NOT do anything. They seldom do unless you tell them to. That is extra time and money. Check your receipt.

I will post 2 pictures and try to lend my experience that might help.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:04 pm

See if you get a tire leak after an oil change. ;)

Jesus1st

Post by Jesus1st » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:30 pm

patbrandon1, THANKS for a comprehensive answer, the photos help, manual is about useless. LOL.

I do have an additional question at this time. Is there any gear oil in the actual final drive, I know there are gears intermeshing in there so... If the is needed lubricant, HOW do I check level, and add as needed?

As to the type of Oil, have yet to determine it. I last rode it for several days AFTER tire install, BEFORE I noticed the oil residue. Now that I have a better idea if what I am dealing with, I can pressure wash it and take it for a ride to town (about 30 miles) and see, smell/taste & see.

Thanks again.

Rambozo
"See if you get a tire leak after an oil change."

Not sure what you were getting at. What could an "OIL CHANGE" Possibly have to do with my tires?

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Jesus1st wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:30 pm
I do have an additional question at this time. Is there any gear oil in the actual final drive, I know there are gears intermeshing in there so... If the is needed lubricant, HOW do I check level, and add as needed?
Yes. Very important to change and check. I change mine every year because I live in Michigan and have a few months to get preventive maintenance done. I don't check the level but maybe once per riding season. But if you see oil leaks, check it often.

Your wing needs hypoid 80w gear oil. Here is a link to a How To in the sites How To Section. I know it is about an 1100, but the procedure is very much the same.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=76&sid=39217eec7e6 ... cc628393b9

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:03 pm

Jesus1st wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:24 pm

Unfortunately I see that by adding the missing details ONLY succeeded in shutting up the trolls,
Trolls? :lol: You posted your 3rd post (one in 2015, one in 2018) opening this thread, three of us replied asking for details, and then you added some details. Then at least two of us are Trolls (plural) because ??? Was it because we asked for details that would help anyone trying to help or was it because we didn't come right back? I was trying to help, but I asked for some details, then got involved elsewhere. :lol:

As to final drive lube, 80W Hypoid Gear lube. Bike on center stand, take off fill plug (big one is fill, small one is drain plug), fill only until it comes back out hole, no more, let it seek level at bottom of fill hole a bit, then put cap back on.

Careful with fill cap, it's aluminum, it will crack if overtightened. If one tries to add extra or doesn't let it seek that level, it'll often throw excess lube out seals or even the top mounted vent tube cap.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:50 am

A good idea is to make sure you can loosen the fill cap before draining lube. That way if it's stuck and you think you might have to get another in case the one on there breaks, you still have lube in the final drive and can still ride the bike. New caps are in stock and easily obtainable as this same cap is used for a plethora of different things on a plethora of different bikes.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:22 am

Fill cap AND drain plug specs are 9 foot pounds (12 Nm) each. That isn't much torque because it doesn't need to be.

It was excellent advice to remove the filler bolt first. Many times POs over tighten things. And on every wing I have taken the filler bolt off of, the 17mm wrench has a tiny bit more play than most bolts. Get a good bite and solid hold on the bolt when removing. A slight off line wrench on it can round it off in a hurry.

If you don't have a torque wrench that goes down to 9 foot pounds, many people don't, do this...
Turn the bolt in until it just bottoms out. Then turn the bolt one eighth more turn and that will be very close to 9 lbs of torque.

I know this because I have a torque wrench that goes to 5 foot pounds, and went out to see where about it stopped, and the above is what I figured out.

If it leaks a bit after you tighten it, just give it another 1/8 to 1/16th turn. DO NOT tighten down on it. VERY fragile, and you don't need to break it in order to have it not leak.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. It's nice to see people accomplish the things they ask about.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:16 pm

Great advice there, but I would amend that if it leaks, first replace the O-ring before making it tighter. Age can harden them. Also if it's really tight, take a six point socket and grind off any chamfer on the opening so you get a full bite on the hex as it is on the short side.

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:27 pm

On my 1200 that I owned for 24 years, first cap was leaking when I first looked, very small leak, was a crack around it between edge and hex head, it wasn't tight no more. :D

I bought a new one with O-ring, put it on but was really careful with torque (probably pretty close to 9 or 10 ft lbs) as I didn't want to crack it too, then I drilled a hole across the hex where it was "more solider like", ran a 8 or 10" piece of 12 ga copper stripped out from unused or old romex, looped it through the new hole and around the vent tower, never worried about it backing off or falling out. Never leaked either, but always did refills after draining on center stand, letting level adjust it'self to threads in the fill hole before putting cap on.

Back in early 2000s was on a trip in mountains of eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina, stopped at a gas station, saw oil on my tan leather right boot, the oil dip stick of the 1200 was gone. I plugged the hole with a wrag to get home. used a coat hanger wire to make sure it had enough oil, come home … and bought a chrome aftermarket one, but it was made cheaply that I was afraid the stem could break off easily in the motor … so I got a metric bolt of same thread, drilled it, welded a tee on top for finger use, put a nut in place with a spot weld to serve as a sealing surface, beveled the bolt end threads like they should be, inserted a headless 19 penny nail in end hole I had drilled, added a spot of weld to hold that, then compared the nail reading to oil level using a borrowed OEM dip stick, marked my nail for the range like OEM, cut excess off, drilled hole in finger hold flat, used a wire on it too.

Did same safety wire deal on engine drain bolt or plug, but looped it around the nearby lower engine mount of frame.
Same on the 1500 trike, but I forget what I tied it off to, maybe a hole in a fin.

You just don't feel like it has to be so tight when it's wired too.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

patbrandon1
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:00 pm

Rambozo wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:16 pm
Great advice there, but I would amend that if it leaks, first replace the O-ring before making it tighter. Age can harden them. Also if it's really tight, take a six point socket and grind off any chamfer on the opening so you get a full bite on the hex as it is on the short side.
Great advice. I meant to mention the O-ring, but must have seen something shinny. And I'll tuck that grind the chamfer trick in my tool memory box. Thanks.