USB usage

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: USB usage

Post by Rambozo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:57 pm

The problem like Mark mentioned is that Windows reads all the file info into memory then does a sort. And even in Windows 10 which will let you sort on a metric-assload of metadata, write order is not one of them. I do not believe the creation time stamp has enough resolution to do the job for very small music files. So other than using a utility or looking at the raw disc data there is no easy way in Windows to see the write order. But as mentioned you could use a file copy program that lets you specify an order, or use a utility to fix the order after the copy. I seem to recall that Bulk Rename Utility has that function as well as the previously mentioned FAT Sorter. You just need to forget what Windows says as it will always lie to you about the sorting. The only thing that matters is how the bike sees them, and using a tool for that will be so much faster than copying them one at a time, for hundreds of files with zero tolerance for a mistake.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:13 pm

C-dub wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:49 pm
tamathumper wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:46 am
I believe there are programs to sort your FAT filesystem into actual alphabetical order - FATSorter is one.
I'm not sure what good that would be. Windows File Explorer (aka: File Manager) will do this. The issue is how the bike reads them. It reads them in the order to were created on the flash drive. If one of those other programs will load them in order alphabetically that might work. However, the only other issue with that might be that someone might not want their songs to play in alphabetical order. Songs on an album aren't in alphabetical order and if a person wants them to play in the order the artist put them on an album that won't work.
Windows File Explorer does not do it, unfortunately. It sorts the files in memory and displays them to you in alphabetical order, but it is reading them from the disk in whatever order they were laid down. And when it copies those nicely sorted files, it invariably sticks one on the end that's out of whack. Don't ask me why.
'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:23 pm

tamathumper wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:13 pm
C-dub wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:49 pm
tamathumper wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:46 am
I believe there are programs to sort your FAT filesystem into actual alphabetical order - FATSorter is one.
I'm not sure what good that would be. Windows File Explorer (aka: File Manager) will do this. The issue is how the bike reads them. It reads them in the order to were created on the flash drive. If one of those other programs will load them in order alphabetically that might work. However, the only other issue with that might be that someone might not want their songs to play in alphabetical order. Songs on an album aren't in alphabetical order and if a person wants them to play in the order the artist put them on an album that won't work.
Windows File Explorer does not do it, unfortunately. It sorts the files in memory and displays them to you in alphabetical order, but it is reading them from the disk in whatever order they were laid down. And when it copies those nicely sorted files, it invariably sticks one on the end that's out of whack. Don't ask me why.
What?!

It doesn't REALLY change anything? It only displays it that way? I feel lied to. :( ;)

No wonder. Hmmm
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.