Running boards

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Tazman1464
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing GL 1100 Interstate trike

Running boards

Post by Tazman1464 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:16 pm

New member here! I just purchased a 1981 Honda goldwing gl1100 trike that needs some TLC!!! Has running boards that don't appear to be mounted properly- the left side was bent down before I straightened it, but can someone tell me what's missing or needs corrected???
Attachments

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Running boards

Post by CrystalPistol » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:06 pm

On the right side at rear, two holes vacant, where the heel rest bolted on.

On the left side, single hole with boss vacant, where heel & toe shifter pivoted, it had a horizontal "U" shaped notch at front that engaged the shifter stub where Honda put a rubber, the rubber got shortened or removed.

On both sides, tab at front end of board mounts … was a piece like up side down "L" that bolted to the tab and to an exhaust stud to support front.

These are some floor boards I removed from my GL1200 back in the '90s as I didn't like them (I put OEM pegs that fold and a shift rubber on in place) … in the years since I have mislaid the "L" pieces that attached to exhaust studs at tabs and the brake side heel rest, I see I also cut the front and rear extensions off the H & T shifter, but left center pivot part (I think so I could weld back maybe?). I had taken this picture as I enventory-ed some odds & ends I was gonna look at using to make a rear bumper for my trike. Ignore the GL1500 part.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Tazman1464
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing GL 1100 Interstate trike

Post by Tazman1464 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:43 am

I did find the L brackets, but didn't think I should attach them to exhaust stud- afraid it might cause other problems attached there!!! I also have the heel/toe shifter, just hadn't put it on yet!!! Thank you for the information, will try the L brackets like you suggested!!! Have any idea what these other pieces in the pic are for???
Attachments

chief771
Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing GL1100
1979 suzuki GL 750

Post by chief771 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:15 pm

I believe the rubber pad is to bolt on to your rear brake arm when the floor boards are installed as the rear brake is difficult to use. I think the two chrome peices go through the d ring on your helmet then you lock the chrome part to the helmet lock on your bike. My 2 cents worth anyway.

Have a great night!
Where ever you go, That's where you are.
Chief771
Kevin

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:23 am

chief771 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:15 pm
I believe the rubber pad is to bolt on to your rear brake arm when the floor boards are installed as the rear brake is difficult to use. I think the two chrome peices go through the d ring on your helmet then you lock the chrome part to the helmet lock on your bike. My 2 cents worth anyway.

Have a great night!
and the v shaped piece in plastic is I think an extension for the side stand to make it easier to find with the left foot, to kick down.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)