ground locations

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
victorvmg
Motorcycle: honda 1984 gl1200 interstate

ground locations

Post by victorvmg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:35 am

where would I find my ground locations.would a poor ground cause the ignition fuse to blow when started?

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: ground locations

Post by CrystalPistol » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:02 am

victorvmg wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:35 am
where would I find my ground locations.would a poor ground cause the ignition fuse to blow when started?
I would look for a grounded hot wire, like chaffed wire insulation making allowing a short to ground.

On my 1200, green was ground.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:40 am

victorvmg wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:35 am
What ground are you looking for? There are many, but the main off of the battery is easy to trace. Then see where it connects to the frame and make sure it is clean and tight. Take it off and do it right while your down there.

But it doesn't seem to me that it would be the ground causing a fuse to blow. There are 2 reasons a fuse would blow. Either it is getting too many amps through it, or there is a short. With a microscope I can tell which it is. If the fuse element wire inside the fuse looks like it is blown far apart with both ends of the blown wire very burned, that is a short. If the fuse element wire is just slightly melted and not too far apart, that is too much draw. That info might not help you much, but it is a starting point.

If you can take a good, very closeup photo of it and post it here, I might be able to tell.

Does the fuse blow every time you try to start it? Does the starter turn at all before the fuse goes? Does it start?
Your answers will help me be able to help you.

I have a wiring diagram if you need to know any more about that, send me a message.

Keep us posted.

victorvmg
Motorcycle: honda 1984 gl1200 interstate

Post by victorvmg » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:56 am

thank you for your reply,still searching for the short.all lights work including dash.when I hit the starter the engine runs for a couple seconds then dies.now I took a look at the blown fuses and you really have to look to see the break in the fuse which is on the top of the fuse. no melting or bending over.my thoughts are that in the process of changing the pulse generator either pulling the old harness off or pulling the new one thru I compromised the existing wiring in the fairing.the main ground location I know.(behind the triangular engine mount on the left side,the one I was told that was in the fairing no luck.I purchased a short and open finder and will try to locate the short that way.i hate the thought of having to remove the fairing.I am thinking its a hot short to ground.