Prepping for Summer 2020 - Painting Plastic and Body Panel

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Prepping for Summer 2020 - Painting Plastic and Body Panel

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:42 am

Doing the maintenance on the 1500 for trips/touring this summer. Have had a left side panel repair to do since I bought the bike 2 years ago, and the dash, shelter and other ABS trim pieces were weather worn. My V-Strom also needed the panniers and top case look freshened up as well, so this started my journey into finding out what was needed to paint PP and ABS. For the PP, needed an Adhesion Promoter product, most any will do but I used an SEM product for this. The black for the panniers was also an SEM Trim Black product, final coat was Eastwood. Turned out well. With success comes confidence so onto the 1500 - ABS time. The left side panel:

Had a significant chunk out of the corner and was missing a securing tab. This had always bugged me so now was the time to repair and paint. Took a few days to build up the ABS, sand for painting. The securing tab took a few days as well. The finished repair now ready for painting:

Time to source the paint, it's Honda's Pearl Glacier White. Seen it in spray cans from the US, and it can be had in Europe as well, but in the small market of Victoria not so. Left a panel with the paint shop and we have come up with a three part system I am going to apply over the next two days.

The system will be a colour base coat - Valspar, mid coat with the pearl - Valspar, then a clear coat - Spray Max 2 part paint:

Going to spray the base and mid coat, and used rattle can clear coat. The clear coat is an activated product I have not used before (this whole process is new to me) and once activated must be used in 2 days - use it or loose it scenario. Mentioned to my paint guy that I did not have a spray gun so he has loaned me one of his Devilbiss spray guns for the base and mid coats. I know I should have my own and we had a good discussion on what I should look for. I researched the forums as well. I settled on a set from Devilbiss - Devilbiss Starting Line (comes with a case and I like cases):

I settled on this set - probably better than I need for the number of times I will use them, but parts are available such as nozzles, comes with a case - did I mention this already - with patience good quality tools make up for a lack of talent (sometimes), and I will not be buying another set. I did read a thread where the fellow bought the same kit and an inexpensive spray gun from the web for harsher applications such as primer, keep the good units for the tidily work.

The area that will be receiving the base and mid coat is the area in red squiggles:

The whole panel will get a coat or coats of clear. The area to receive base and mid coat will get scuffed with 600 grit paper, and the panel will be scuffed with 1500. I will not be taping off the paint area as I do not want any ridges on the panel.

I will be doing the side mirror trim pieces - left side trim piece was cracked and needed a repair as well, and the panel. Have to visit the local Princess Auto to pick up some air compressor attachments for the guns.

My first foray into unknown territory, but expect all will be fine. More to follow.

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Re: Prepping for Summer 2020 - Painting Plastic and Body Panel

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:22 pm

Okay - today was a painting day. First time using a spray gun and doing a three part paint job. Turned out pretty good for the first go at it. I am of the opinion that spraying clear coat from a gun is better than a spray can. Having mentioned this, next time know better - yes there will probably a next time.

Had two small guns in use. One with base coat, second had the mid pearl colour. The one I borrowed from my paint guy was quite good, but I felt my small one was better - personal preference I guess (and I own it). This is the one I borrowed:

This is mine:

I was doing three pieces and having the two guns going was good because I got out of sync spraying and having the guns with different paints was a benefit.

The panel and side mirror trim pieces turned out quite good. Here are pics of the panel finished:

If the clear coat finish is not as smooth as I would like, I'm thinking a 1500 to 2000 grit sanding and use a spray gun, besides, it's a 25 year old bike - supposed to have some blemishes. On the list for a future project.

Even though this is my first venture into this world, pleased with the results and it is already 200 percent better than what I started with. On to different maintenance issues for now. Cheers

Ernest

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:38 pm

Just gotta say …. LOOKS GREAT!
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:25 am

Thanks. Let it sit over night to determine how it will set up. Will be talking to my paint guy. Mcgovern61 on Classic GWs mentioned a sanding of 1200/1500/2000 wet sand to smooth it out for final. May do this then coat with a spray gun. Have time right now and outside temp is good. C-19 has me catching up on a lot of little projects. There is a silver lining to everything. Mentioned to my brother that I had to do a repair and paint. He laughed and figures a bike repaint will be in order. Like learning new things as I go along. I am thinking my '85 1200 Limited could benefit from this - keeping it as my long term project.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:10 am

Took the panel into my paint guy and we looked at what I had done. Good colour match. He pointed out where I had applied more clear coat in places then others, and the finish reflected this. I think I was too cautious not wanting to have runs and such. We discussed the way ahead. He mentioned 1000 grit (dry) to knock the sheen off and give some roughness for adhesion. I mentioned using a 1500/2000 and he mentioned that finer is not always better. I mentioned this because I do not want to get into the mid coat (pearl). Since this is my first go at this, I will defer to his judgement. Worst case, back to square one, base, mid then more clear. I would do what Gerry has proposed, but not doing compound and polish - painting ABS.

I prepped the panel last night with 1000 grit and realize from using the 1000 grit that it would take me a long time to get through the old and recently applied clear coat. I will use a scotch pad today to finish, degrease with rubbing alcohol, then paint. Looking forward to seeing what the second round results are like. Bought a new respirator for this evolution. Had an old cheapy to use but the elastic straps are done, and probably can't get new filters.

My paint guy gave me a pint of clear (almost full but he had used some from it) but I had to pay for the activator. $28.00 for pint of clear coat and activator - good deal. He is also giving me the mixing buckets - not a lot of expense for these, but everything helps.

Nice day today so clear coating it is. Options are cleaning the roof of moss and debris from the winter, or bike work. More to follow.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:18 am

This new work venture has had me looking into what would be needed for spray painting. I ordered a small air filter/moisture separator for the compressor. $20.00 CDN to the door:

Had good reviews, but will decide the worth as I do work.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:59 pm

Finished the new clear coat repaint. Better finish than with a spray can even though the spray can was a 2 part system - activator and content all in one can. Sanded with 1000 grit, rubbing alcohol to clean, then tack cloth. 4 new coats of clear and I was not as timid as the first time. No runs and the finish is about 80 to 85 percent of original. I'm going to let it cure and harden for a few weeks. Can use it on the bike during this time, after which I will make a decision on whether to go at it again or just leave alone. If I do it again maybe the best would be to do a 600 grit sand, new base, mid and clear. The nice thing about painting ABS is you can go at it more than once, and as I've researched - practice, practice, practice.

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 am

Here's the latest pic of the panel:

Much better finish. Still some rippling affect in some areas from the initial repaint. You have to get close and personal to see this.

The way ahead will be to let sit for a few weeks, cure and harden, then evaluate. A good scuff with 800/1000 grit paper then new clear coat should bring it back to its former glory.

Now to put the plastics back on, bleed the brakes, and take for test spin. Looking forward to seeing the bike back together with the new paint scheme.

Ernest